• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2013 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
one thing is for sure, Fence doesn't like binbougami-ga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I wish Maoyuu used better art for its landscapes and backgrounds other than low-tier impressionism. Fantasy's use idyllic and rustic settings complete with medieval and renaissance towns and buildings is what draws me to the genre so often. That aside, I noticed how detailed the character animations are for mundane and background acts, and I always prefer that flatter and duller color palette over the vibrant for these shows. Visually and tonally, it matches quite well with Spice and Wolf, regardless of the characters, settings, and script also containing obvious similarities. No real complaints about characterization or writing, both very strong and involving.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Problem children are coming from another world, aren't they? is fun to watch. I will continue follow this one once every few weeks.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

A series that simply mashes up popular genres and then relies on nostalgia is deserving of scorn. I've got nothing against nostalgia per se, but I do not condone the way it is used in place of storytelling and characters to prop the show up.

Thankfully, it doesn't just rely on that and is actually pretty damn good on its own merits. (I'm not that big on Strike Witches and wasn't expecting the show to be anywhere near as good as the first episode ended up being.)

RyanSaotome wrote:

Wow, talk about a slap-in-the-face recommendation. If a series needs to rely on fanservice just to keep its fans then that speaks volumes about both the series (is of poor quality) and the fans (are of poor tastes).

I'd like the show just as much if not more if it didn't have them. Same goes for most shows with fanservice.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:10 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Nope, I know precisely what it means, and the only thing decent in teh show is better achieved via fanart, which has way less screaming and WAAAAAAY less Shonen Jump bullshit.

Perhaps in your opinion there is absolutely nothing good about the show except for the fanart, and since it is your opinion you're entitled to it. However if you are going to use the word "literally" then you are no longer talking about your personal opinion but trying to pass off your comments as fact. And I can tell you that you're absolutely speaking falsehoods on this.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
Thankfully, it doesn't just rely on that and is actually pretty damn good on its own merits. (I'm not that big on Strike Witches and wasn't expecting the show to be anywhere near as good as the first episode ended up being.)

By what standards are you judging Vividred Operation? As a brainless genre-mashup nostalgia trip? Then yeah, I suppose it is good. But uh, not exactly a difficult standard to reach, you know?

Last edited by dtm42 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Nope, I know precisely what it means, and the only thing decent in teh show is better achieved via fanart, which has way less screaming and WAAAAAAY less Shonen Jump bullshit.

Perhaps in your opinion there is absolutely nothing good about the show except for the fanart, and since it is your opinion you're entitled to it. However if you are going to use the word "literally" then you are no longer talking about your personal opinion but trying to pass off your comments as fact. And I can tell you that you're absolutely speaking falsehoods on this.

And you are totally the one to talk about stating opinion as fact.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:21 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
And you are totally the one to talk about stating opinion as fact.

*sighs*

At least I don't go around saying that shows are not worthwhile when they actually have plenty of things going for them. If Binbou-gami ga! was truly worthless then it would be among the top ten worst Anime I have ever watched. Sakura's character development alone proves you wrong.
stardf29

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The most popular shows should be the best shows. The fact that they almost always are not the best doesn't matter; it's a matter of principle.

If I may ask, why is this principle so important to you that you refuse to back down on this and are even going so far as to say that the show's fans have bad taste?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:30 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
At least I don't go around saying that shows are not worthwhile when they actually have plenty of things going for them.

And this was the source of my biggest laugh for the day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:30 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

At least I don't go around saying that shows are not worthwhile when they actually have plenty of things going for them. If Binbou-gami ga! was truly worthless then it would be among the top ten worst Anime I have ever watched. Sakura's character development alone proves you wrong.

And you are judging Vividred based on 1 episode, and primarily focused on one, utterly inconsequential, aspect of the backstory.

Yes Professor Grandpa having no money is sorta silly, but its not particularly more ridiculous than, say, a ridiculously lucky bitchy girl having a poverty god sent to leach her luck out of her.

As for Binbougami-ga, I know for a fact its not going to deliver what I want (because its a Shonen Jump manga), so I see no reason to torture myself by watching/reading it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:37 am Reply with quote
stardf29 wrote:
If I may ask, why is this principle so important to you that you refuse to back down on this and are even going so far as to say that the show's fans have bad taste?

What would I back down to? The argument that the show is good? When did Fencedude5609 provide one?

I didn't say the show's fans had bad tastes. What I did say is that if the only reason a person is watching the show is for the fanservice and that they wouldn't watch if there wasn't any fanservice, then they have bad tastes. Maybe that's a bit harsh, maybe I should have said "no taste" instead since they don't care what the actual show is like. It's like eating a meal and only judging it on the wine and not even caring what the actual food is like.

If like HitokiriShadow you are watching Vividred Operation because you genuinely like the characters or action et cetera then that's fine, I don't have any problem with that whatsoever and I don't think you have bad taste.

Key wrote:
And this was the source of my biggest laugh for the day.

Glad I could brighten up your day.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
As for Binbougami-ga, I know for a fact its not going to deliver what I want (because its a Shonen Jump manga), so I see no reason to torture myself by watching/reading it.

You mean you haven't even watched it? At all? And yet you claim it has "literally" nothing worthwhile about it, which is an objective assertion?

Last edited by dtm42 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:39 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I didn't say the show's fans had bad tastes. What I did say is that if the only reason a person is watching the show is for the fanservice and that they wouldn't watch if there wasn't any fanservice, then they have bad tastes. Maybe that's a bit harsh, maybe I should have said "no taste" instead since they don't care what the actual show is like. It's like eating a meal and only judging it on the wine and not even caring what the actual food is like.

While thats not the reason I'm watching Vividred, it is basically the reason I'm watching Senran Kagura and (for now) DCIII.
stardf29

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:51 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
stardf29 wrote:

What would I back down to? The argument that the show is good?

No, the argument that the show isn't for you and therefore you don't need to spend that much energy to rail against it. Giving up an argument doesn't mean that you agree that the opposite side is right; it means that for whatever reason, you do not feel it is worthwhile to keep arguing about it.

That you still wanted to argue about Vividred tells me that you feel really strongly about this and I want to know what that is. (Not that you need to tell me, of course.)

Quote:

Okay, fair enough. All the same, I'm pretty sure Vividred was not produced to draw fans entirely by fanservice. (Admittedly, I've yet to watch it; I'll catch episode 1 later tonight.)
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:53 am Reply with quote
I don't know what's funnier, Fencedude calling a show "worthless" without even watching it or dtm42 calling out on others for believing their opinions are facts
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:56 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I don't know what's funnier, Fencedude calling a show "worthless" without even watching it or dtm42 calling out on others for believing their opinions are facts

What? Binbougami? I watched the first episode and a half, read some spoilers for the manga, and decided I'd rather just wait for the Ichiko/Momiji fanart and doujins.

I wouldn't even have brought it up if dtm hadn't mentioned it (and Nyarko, another show that rapidly wore out its welcome for me)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 46 of 49