• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Merry Holidaymas

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:
Quote:
Maybe to understand my query a little better, a smattering of info on what was INSIDE this yaoi is in order. To put things bluntly: the first 20 pages featured bondage, full-on penis shots, insertions by toys which I really don't want to go into detail about, and acts that could only be summarized as rape.
Wha, what, wait? How is that not hentai? Shocked I'd expect that to have been for 18+ only in Japan, even before Bill 156, let alone in the U.S.
I'm going to make an educated guess and say this was volume 1 of the Finder series by Yamane Ayano, right? (Do I win anything?) So yeah, this book was definitely originally shrinkwrapped and 18+ in the US at least, though I'm not sure how BeXBoy magazine is originally marketed in Japan. Anyway, as Brian pointed out, customers regularly open all kinds of stuff in bookstores. I used to work in a big chain store and we'd find discarded wrap all the time. It was really irritating but we were basically told by our corporate masters that we couldn't tell customers not to do it ("the customer's always right," etc.), so there you have it.

Come to think of it though, my B&N store never regularly stocked any explicit manga like that. I always had to special order it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
a smattering of info on what was INSIDE this yaoi is in order. To put things bluntly: the first 20 pages featured bondage, full-on penis shots, insertions by toys which I really don't want to go into detail about, and acts that could only be summarized as rape. Not to be prudish, but I was under the assumption that this mass-market bookstore was more or less adamant in their filtering of what went on their shelves without shrink wrap.

Gimme gimme gimme! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

That aside, it is both perniciously neglectful, possibly criminally negligent, to leave content such as this in easy viewing range of any child who walks into the store. Parents would also be getting a false impression as to the content of the manga.
BitShifter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I absolutely think that the internet and it's widespread adoption of piracy has raised a generation of morally insensitive thieves, for exactly the same reasons you mentioned. It's scary to think about, but soon we're going to have a whole crop of kids who will literally have no concept of the idea of going to a store and buying a CD or a DVD.

I absolutely think that the free public library and its widespread adoption of lending CDs and DVDs to kids has raised a generation of morally insensitive borrowers. It's scary to think about, but soon we're going to have a whole crop of kids who will literally have no concept of the idea of going to a store and buying a CD or a DVD.

Perhaps all the internet did was turn it from a regulated, government-approved, consecutive group of people experiencing something for free into an unregulated, unapproved, simultaneous horde experiencing something for free...

The desire to experience art and culture for free isn't all that new, it's just the ease of obtaining it that has gone off the charts.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
BitShifter wrote:
Quote:
I absolutely think that the internet and it's widespread adoption of piracy has raised a generation of morally insensitive thieves, for exactly the same reasons you mentioned. It's scary to think about, but soon we're going to have a whole crop of kids who will literally have no concept of the idea of going to a store and buying a CD or a DVD.

I absolutely think that the free public library and its widespread adoption of lending CDs and DVDs to kids has raised a generation of morally insensitive borrowers. It's scary to think about, but soon we're going to have a whole crop of kids who will literally have no concept of the idea of going to a store and buying a CD or a DVD.

Perhaps all the internet did was turn it from a regulated, government-approved, consecutive group of people experiencing something for free into an unregulated, unapproved, simultaneous horde experiencing something for free...

The desire to experience art and culture for free isn't all that new, it's just the ease of obtaining it that has gone off the charts.

Except millions of people didn't steal DVDs from a library. With a library you return the DVDs after you finish watching them. With Fansubs and scanslations you burn them to a DVD or CD-RW.
BitShifter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Except millions of people didn't steal DVDs from a library. With a library you return the DVDs after you finish watching them. With Fansubs and scanlations you burn them to a DVD or CD-RW.

Hmm... that almost sounds like you're okay with it if the person watching the fansub or reading the scanlation doesn't burn off a copy onto a fixed medium for re-use later. I believe that Brian was disapproving of the mere act of reading unpaid-for content, whether the kid makes a permanent copy or not; to wit, his indignation (rightfully so) of kids reading manga in bookstores without buying them. I'm not sure that by not making a "hard copy" of something that you watch/read for free that it makes it morally more acceptable... (although it's certainly less legally prosecutable)

And I bet there are a lot of teens who know how to burn copies of CDs and DVDs that they check out of the library before they return them...
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Well remember, assuming that the kids aren't just burning the DVDs they borrow, the library did originally pay for their copies of the DVDs which is more than what a fansub watcher can say. And companies like Netflix pay a fee to rent out DVDs, the point being that even in those cases the creators are getting paid and that is preferable.
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Worst one of this year? (I'd mail it in but I are not because I forgot my password to me email -_-)

Hitman Reborn (okay, I know it's not from this year but it ENDED this year xD).
I liked it up until the ending, or rather the ending to the anime since the manga is going on.
It's so cliche and annoying now. It has about as much plot as Bleach (but at least Bleach has good art and can be entertaining).

Kuroshitsuji II. Granted, I love it, but as a sequel it was pretty weak.

D.Gray-man (Again not from this year.)
Seriously. I loved it at first but now... The manga went from "WTF is going on" to "ಠ_ಠ What the hell is going on?"

And I gotta say, the Internet is making an age of piracy. Heck, a lot of people asked to borrow my Hetalia DVD so that they could burn it.
WTF.
BitShifter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Well remember, assuming that the kids aren't just burning the DVDs they borrow, the library did originally pay for their copies of the DVDs which is more than what a fansub watcher can say.

Hmm.. so if the person that created the fansub paid for the original copy of the anime he used, or the scanlator paid for the original copy of the manga before translating it, it would be okay? I'm sure you'll agree, no, not really; the major difference is that only one person at a time can watch a library copy (consecutive), while a near infinite number can watch a fansub on the internet at one time (simultaneously). That, plus the library has government approval, while the fansubber certainly does not.

My point was, I'm not sure that raising a generation of "morally insensitive thieves" necessarily began with the internet. By the early 90's, teens had access to VCRs which could could copy any movie or TV show from broadcast TV or premium movie channels, so it could be watched over and over again; CD players with tape decks that would allow them to spool off copies of their friend's CDs onto cassettes, to listen to over and over again; and dual cassette decks with high-speed dubbing to make copies of other cassettes. The only thing that's really happened in 20 years is that copies are now easier, faster, and perfect; and you don't even have to know a friend or get a library card to get the original content; you can get it from the internet.

But that doesn't mean that a teen with limited disposable income wanting to get something for free, and using technology to get it, suddenly began with the internet. How many teens of the 90's who spooled off their friend's Nirvana CDs onto cassette or taped X-Files off TV rather than buying pre-recorded VHS tapes have grown into "morally insensitive thieves"? Maybe that's where it started.

I mean, the ship for stopping the creation of "morally insensitive thieves" might have sailed two decades ago...
Jaymie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Kuroshitsuji II was an extreme disappointment. A-1 Pictures went down their own path, comparable to what happened to the first Fullmetal Alchemist, but they turned a slashable series into a full-out BL-fest.

The first scene is of a stark naked 14 year-old boy who was raped by his adoptive father.

I was expecting a dark, gothic Victorian tale similar to the manga or the first half of the first season, and instead I got shota ass. It went downhill from there.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote
BitShifter wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Except millions of people didn't steal DVDs from a library. With a library you return the DVDs after you finish watching them. With Fansubs and scanlations you burn them to a DVD or CD-RW.

Hmm... that almost sounds like you're okay with it if the person watching the fansub or reading the scanlation doesn't burn off a copy onto a fixed medium for re-use later. I believe that Brian was disapproving of the mere act of reading unpaid-for content, whether the kid makes a permanent copy or not; to wit, his indignation (rightfully so) of kids reading manga in bookstores without buying them. I'm not sure that by not making a "hard copy" of something that you watch/read for free that it makes it morally more acceptable... (although it's certainly less legally prosecutable)

And I bet there are a lot of teens who know how to burn copies of CDs and DVDs that they check out of the library before they return them...

I am being realistic here, yes downloading fansubs are wrong, but the problem only becomes a problem when millions of people start burning anime to watch later instead of buying it. You're not likely to get millions of people to get library cards just to burn anime on to a DVD.
animefan1238

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:24 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
I am one of those rare and dying breeds: I am a collector. I buy my anime for one reason and one reason only: To display on my shelves. I am no blind buyer, and I watch nearly all of my anime before purchase, generally with fansubs. Not the most ethical thing to do, but I figure my $100 monthly anime budget is better than pure piracy.
I have different rules for manga. I don't read scanlations. If it is licensed, I wait and buy it. If it is not licensed, I hunt down a raw and translate it myself. Not that I am any good at translation, but I trust my own before some random dude on the intertubes (with fansubs, you can at least hear the Japanese and figure out if it was translated right. With scanlations, they could make stuff up and you'd never know).

But I wouldn't give up on the young'uns quite yet. Sure, they might be pirates now, but how many of us have changed from the stupid teens we once were? At some point they will grow up and start paying with money. And while we wait for this, Crunchy can convert some of them to streaming, much like iTunes converted a generation of music pirates. Or something.

Anyway, (my) Best anime of 2010:
Angel Beats
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha the Movie 1st
House of Five Leaves

If I like a show I download it and keep it. If its going to get licenced then I delete it and wait for it to come out. I buy it, watch it and display it on my shelf. I love buying, watching, and collecting.
Best anime I have seen in 2010: Otome Yokai Zakuro. I don't care what anyone says. It is well drawn and the story is great. It's a show I can't wait to see every week. I girlfriend says if someone doens't licence it then there is something wrong. Other shows like K-ON, So-Ra-No-Wo-To, Durarara!!, etc are great. I feel Otome Yokai Zakuro is a step above in story and animation. Of course the death of Satoshi Kon hit us all as anime fans really hard and made us sad/upset that he was taken from us with so much more stories to tell us. The Dream Machine I will see when it gets released. Raise a glass to Mr. Kon this New Year's, I know I will.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:27 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
The first scene is of a stark naked 14 year-old boy who was raped by his adoptive father.

Um, isn't that called incest? Rape is something completely different spoiler[given that several episodes later, Alois actually "tempts" his "father" by wearing a kimono and acting sexually suggestive.]
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
BitShifter wrote:
Hmm.. so if the person that created the fansub paid for the original copy of the anime he used, or the scanlator paid for the original copy of the manga before translating it, it would be okay? I'm sure you'll agree, no, not really; the major difference is that only one person at a time can watch a library copy (consecutive), while a near infinite number can watch a fansub on the internet at one time (simultaneously). That, plus the library has government approval, while the fansubber certainly does not.

A company selling their product to a public library consents to this usage. A fansubber does not obtain this consent. That's a significant difference.

Quote:
My point was, I'm not sure that raising a generation of "morally insensitive thieves" necessarily began with the internet. By the early 90's, teens had access to VCRs which could could copy any movie or TV show from broadcast TV or premium movie channels, so it could be watched over and over again; CD players with tape decks that would allow them to spool off copies of their friend's CDs onto cassettes, to listen to over and over again; and dual cassette decks with high-speed dubbing to make copies of other cassettes. The only thing that's really happened in 20 years is that copies are now easier, faster, and perfect; and you don't even have to know a friend or get a library card to get the original content; you can get it from the internet.

But that doesn't mean that a teen with limited disposable income wanting to get something for free, and using technology to get it, suddenly began with the internet. How many teens of the 90's who spooled off their friend's Nirvana CDs onto cassette or taped X-Files off TV rather than buying pre-recorded VHS tapes have grown into "morally insensitive thieves"? Maybe that's where it started.

I mean, the ship for stopping the creation of "morally insensitive thieves" might have sailed two decades ago...

And we all agree that that's immoral? I don't. It was (and still is, AFAIK) perfectly legal to record broadcast television on a VHS. You can also do it on your PVR or HTPC; they even sell video capture cards expressly for the purpose. The guys on the engagdet HD podcast talk about it all the time. If it's illegal, then nobody seems to be making any noise about it. And the RIAA and MPAA ever so love to make noise. Anyway, the crucial difference within the domain of fansubs is that the individual revenue a cable or dish company got from subscribers recording content is diminished to the one person who's now dishing their content to everyone; content providers couldn't keep up with the technology and they will continue to feel the burn until they do. It sure sucks to be them, but it's not like content providers have never thrown turds our way; are you keeping up with the news surrounding Comcast and their charging double for the same data? They can and will get their weasely way unless the FCC or someone starts enforcing some standards. And that's what it all comes down to: it's like what Hobbes said; you need to make laws and then enforce those laws. Otherwise, they might as well not exist.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:52 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Jaymie wrote:

Um, isn't that called incest? Rape is something completely different...

No, incest is sex between biologically related individuals, rape is non-consensual sex. Also, being a tease later doesn't retroactively grant consent.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:03 am Reply with quote
BitShifter wrote:
Quote:
I absolutely think that the internet and it's widespread adoption of piracy has raised a generation of morally insensitive thieves, for exactly the same reasons you mentioned.

I absolutely think that the free public library and its widespread adoption of lending CDs and DVDs to kids has raised a generation of morally insensitive borrowers.

I'm willing to consider that you're mocking the notion of obviousness regarding outcomes. Other than that it seems like you're trying to present a (skewed?) perspective of what the libraries are actually doing and then hold it near a discussion on piracy and let people try to reconcile the two as if it were a valid point.

Libraries are a legally sanctioned means to which the general public was able to access information/resources. Sharing of commercially offered materials in a way that subverts the intended process is not.

The concepts are not complex.

The problem is ancient. How to coexist with others. Harmony or dissonance. Parasitic or symbiotic. Each is valid and will be opposed. Nobody is pure and perfection is a myth.

This topic is like two immortals trying to draw on the same piece of paper. Both creating their image while trying to erase the other's at the same time. All the while, trying to find some way to get the other to stop.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3