• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - First Outing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:45 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
sainta wrote:

Also if you think about the lack of haircuts in The Last Story makes sense since I've never seen a hairdresser in an RPG.

You've never played Atelier Iris 2? I quote from a character list in a Wikipedia article:
anonymous Wikipedians wrote:
Theresa (テレッサ): A famous stylist from Grand City who gives Noin a makeover.

There's also Nelsha from Thousand Arms if you want to count her. She's not strictly a hairdresser.. but she's a schizophrenic fashion designer who has various outfits and wigs with the souls of different fighters in them so she changes her personality for each one she wears in combat.
Kakugo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Put me down as someone else who saw the New and Improved "DmC" Dante and immediately went "...well. That's a shame."

That doesn't make it a bad game, or even one I'm willing to ignore without popping in a demo. It's just zapped any excitement I had for the wanton, borderline absurd aesthetic the previous cycle of games wallowed in. Beauty isn't everything, no, but it sure doesn't hurt when you're asking $60 for something that I'll have to stare at for a couple dozen hours.

(Then again I loved Lollipop Chainsaw, so what the fug do I know?)
midnighteve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Nocturne123 wrote:
Im a huge RPG fan, yet I found The Last Story to be intensely bland and uninteresting. The battle system was ok, but I didn't feel like it was that great either. Im glad it did well since I want to see RPG's start selling again, but The Last Story is vastly overhyped in almost every area.

Whew, I'm glad I wasn't the only one! (Though to be fair, I only play for maybe about 2 hours, before turning it off in favor of other things. Maybe I didn't give it enough time?) I didn't like the battle system and the characters sorta annoyed me. But I do agree that it's great that XSEED picked it up and that it sold well. I want to see more JRPGs and similar things make it out of handheld market!

Speaking of which, CORPSE PARTY! Very Happy I'm super excited about it and poor Persona 4: Golden will have to take a backseat to this while I play it. I loved playing the first game (though I didn't exactly find it scary) and completely lost hope for anything else from it's series to be published. While I still prefer to get my games in physical form, I'm starting to find a new appreciate for digital releases...
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote
Games of 2012: 2012 was indeed a great year for games. So many awesome releases here, which as a whole gives me a little renewed hope in the industry.

MML3: Dedication like this from fans is really amazing (the infamous Chrono Trigger revival, that was so callously shot down, is a memorable example). We might as well make the whole damn game ourselves.

Gungnir and Grownlanser: These two games are definitely great on strategy highlights and it would be a shame to simply pass them over just because the PSP library is "fading" (just for the record, the Vita is still not interesting). I heard Gungnir is quite challenging even on the normal difficulty setting, so it definitely has some lasting appeal for those who like challenging strategy in their battles. Grownlanser never got the chance to make any impact here in the U.S. and just went largely ignored, especially considering not all of the games in the series came here. Take my advice, do not pass up on these two.

The Last Story: Shamefully, I have not yet purchased either Xenoblade Chronicles or Last Story despite I was just as vocal about the games needing to come here. I wish I had more time for games...and a better income.

Monster World IV: I wholeheartedly agree with you, Todd. I have found this game to be highly accessible, very charming and overall a great deal of fun. Having a female hero is of course a plus and the whole journey is unique from start to finish. I especially appreciate the Wii's memory pause so I can stop the game in case I'm in one of the longer dungeons. I recommend this platform RPG to anyone who likes games when they were simpler and aren't choked with numerous battle system features. The music is also very pleasing, a shame the game never got a soundtrack release.

CP: Book of Shadows: I shudder to think of the many ways the kids can die this time around if you make an incorrect decision. The previous CP had some disturbingly gruesome wrong end screens.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:34 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
potatochobit wrote:
the basic arguement is: he looks like a pretty boy and a sissy

What a shallow reason to dislike something.

C'mon, give 'em a break. Heck, some people will like something just because how the girl(s) looks. Wink
(So if one can like something just because how a chara looks, so can they dislike something for the same reason.)
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:52 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
Square does not give fans what they want aka KH 3, FF 7 remake, Versus

By 'fans' you mean 'you'. If remaking an old game and a random game no one knows anything about is what people want, Square would be wise to ignore 'the fans' and focus on the people who actually buy their stuff.

These are established properties and series that have been on many list for a long time and in two cases have been promised for a very long time (over 5 years almost for both KH3 and Versus). also even if I don't get it FF7 is seen as the definitive FF and is probably one of the worst looking one especially considering how FF1-4 got ports to the PSP and DS.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It'll presumably discourage piracy

At the price they're presumably going to sell it? Yeah, sure.

I don't know about other countries, but where I live, one of the main points of piracy is that legal stuff is insanely expensieve. For example, an original DVD for any film you choose, without any particular extra features and a normal packaging can cost, say 200 bucks (around 17-18 dollars/ roughly three and a half daily minimum wages) while a pirated one can cost as much as $20 if it's expensieve and cloned from DVD quality and includes most of the DVD extras (1 dollar, perhaps?/ 1/3 of a daily minimum wage)

Now, I'm not a gamer -mainly because videogames are freaking expensieve, rounding 700-ish in national currency and up to even 900 if they're brand new stuff (60-80 dollars aprox/ from 12 to 15 minimum wages)- but if the whole point of piracy was "to get things faster" or "getting foreign things that I can't get at home", piracy wouldn't be the gargantuan monster it is.

TL;DR

Yeah, sure [/sarcasm]
Panoptican

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:41 am Reply with quote
Last Story:
Put me down as another who didn't really get into Last Story. I think I made it something like 4-5 hours into it before quitting. Perhaps the the battle system opens up later, but after 4-5 hours I was still mostly just running up and auto-attacking everything to death. I recall also having a taunt move and a multi attack move as well, so it wasn't all auto-attack, but it mostly was.

The slow start to the battle system could have been forgiven if I had been interested in the story at all. I wasn't. The earnest mercenary who wants to become a knight? The princess who doesn't want to marry the evil lord? Boring stuff if you ask me.

DmC:
I was a fan of Devil May Cry 1 and 3, but I'm surprised other fans are so enamored with the older versions of Dante. He was pretty cheesy cool then and that's what he seems to be now, just with a different/younger character design. And really, is http://www.psu.com/media/articles/image/dante_1.jpg that much cooler looking? As far as gameplay goes i thought it felt great. I really liked the hook shot type attack and I also thought the levels were pretty cool with the way they changed.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:34 am Reply with quote
An interesting read! 2012 saw some interesting games and trends. I'm very happy to see more JRPGs becoming available in the West again. Hopefully they sell well and the trend continues.

Oh, while I'm here...

CORPSE PARTY WOOOOO!

GiriOni wrote:
Those dating sims are strange??

I know, saw the article's description and expected him to mention Hatoful Boyfriend...oh dear... Smile
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:31 am Reply with quote
I do want to pick up the Rhythm Thief. But first I need a 3DS. I like rhythm games. I really want to see the Last Story as I've heard so much about it.

I have to laugh at the statement about the pokemon. But hasn't that been the case for the last several years. Hell, I'm still trying to figure out the new pokemon because some of their designs are not appealing. I usually have to take picks from the ones that have 3 bold colors and no crazy trim.

I would love to be able to recommend Last Story to our collection but until we start getting requests for Wii games that's not going to happen. Chances are by the time we get around to it half the good games will be out of circulation or being sold for hundreds of dollars. I have a list of games I could backlog but sadly they'll just be a list that will never happen.
Doomroar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:43 am Reply with quote
... apparently in the parallel world of ANN Tokyo jungle was an overlooked game.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote
Auto attacking can be turned off in the Last Story last I checked. The only thing I can say about the character's multi-attack and magic skills is that there isn't enough. The game certainly has a lack of depth in that area. Too much superficial customization and not enough skill customization. I certainly don't think the game is overhyped at all. Maybe in certain forum boards, but when I think overhyped, I think mass media marketing along with high sales. The game sold well for XSEED, but XSEED serves a niche market. When you compare to the other games in the market, it just doesn't hold. Overall, it was more of an internet sensation for a select thousands of gamers.
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Speaking up for the otome game fans - I'd definitely be interested in playing Princess Arthur if it ever came across to the States. Not so much the detective one, but definitely Princess Arthur. As a note, I personally feel like if Hakuouki can make it stateside, then at least one of these stands a decent chance, too. Both of them have a Western appeal to them - one features characters related to popular detectives known world-wide, and the other features a retelling of a timeless medieval fantasy legend which is *also* known world-wide. Of course, the otome game genre is still very limited outside of Japan, period, but I'll still be keeping an eye out.
RapidEyeMovement

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Laughing so hard at the caption for the DmC pic. I see what you did there, Todd.
Sir Amyas Leigh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:

GiriOni wrote:
Those dating sims are strange??

I know, saw the article's description and expected him to mention Hatoful Boyfriend...oh dear... Smile

Wow. How'd I miss this Shocked still probably better than half of the dreck that gets official translations... Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3