• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Editorial: How Bill 156 Got Passed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:46 pm Reply with quote
This is why I have a love/hate relationship with politics. Sometime politicians are way too powerful they can push their agenda into law, like how video game hating-politicians in California tried to pass video game laws but Supreme Court shot it down but the final decision for that California video game laws will not happen until next year. I like to say that this bill will never work because it'll hurt the industry, the politicians who support this including Ishihara doesn't know what they're doing. I hope this bill get shot down at some point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TikkiEXX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote
i couldnt possibly care less. any show that would be affected by that law i have absolutely zero interest in, and with the staleness and stagnation of anime lately maybe a shakeup will help in the long run. im sick of anime being dominated by teenagers anyways, maybe it,ll lead to people actually featuring adults in a show every now and then. and with all the crap goin on in our country why the heck would i care about some bill being passed in japan? hope you guys as riled up about our political process as you about the prospects of no more potentially underaged sex objects in your anime.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
TikkiEXX wrote:
i couldnt possibly care less. any show that would be affected by that law i have absolutely zero interest in, and with the staleness and stagnation of anime lately maybe a shakeup will help in the long run. im sick of anime being dominated by teenagers anyways, maybe it,ll lead to people actually featuring adults in a show every now and then. and with all the crap goin on in our country why the heck would i care about some bill being passed in japan? hope you guys as riled up about our political process as you about the prospects of no more potentially underaged sex objects in your anime.

Do you play video game? Would you like if your government pass a bill censoring your video game as in no more graphic violence, or no more multiplayer because the government think video game are causing violence. You know what happen if a video game bill exist and it pass, it would hurt the video game industry so much. Are you familiar with the California video game bill that got battle at the supreme court?

If this bill pass in Japan, it would hurt the industry so much. A lot of anime and manga use underage character, a lot of anime would not be as creative as it use to before the bill pass. Also are you familiar with The Comic Code Authority? This is what happen if that bill will get pass in Japan, it'll be just like what happen to comic book back in the 50's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:54 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

A lot of anime and manga use underage character,

Maybe that's part of the problem. Laughing

I know many adult gamers who mainly only buy M-rated games anyways (y'know which category). Those games are safe and will still sell millions on release day.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:57 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
TikkiEXX wrote:

Do you play video game? Would you like if your government pass a bill censoring your video game as in no more graphic violence, or no more multiplayer because the government think video game are causing violence. You know what happen if a video game bill exist and it pass, it would hurt the video game industry so much. Are you familiar with the California video game bill that got battle at the supreme court?

The video game bill isn't even remotely like what you're describing. Much like this one, it's only saying that you can't sell adult content to kids. The only people hurt are those raking in money selling adult content to children.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
TikkiEXX wrote:

The video game bill isn't even remotely like what you're describing. Much like this one, it's only saying that you can't sell adult content to kids. The only people hurt are those raking in money selling adult content to children.

I know, I'm trying to give the person a idea and comparing video game censorship to censorship to anime and manga. I couldn't find another comparison to this. But if a video game bill similar to the anime/manga censorship ban the use of underage character in it, this would not only hurt the video game industry but ruin freedom of expression.
Aothan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
that's a great article, the detail to convoluted history consisting of shifting focus and thus political emphasis certainly appears illuminative of what came to pass. In some respects the author's statements do have a slant to them, mostly there does not seem to be outright disagreement with a public sentiment of undue (unchecked ?) excess in anime or manga content. If there is truth to that then the issue is far more multifaceted than just a matter of political grandstanding.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
There are already restrictions and rules in place regulating manga and anime; it's just most people in the mainstream aren't aware of it. To use the video game analogy again; we've had a ratings system for years and a lot of adults play video games. But there are still a lot of people out there with the impression that it's a kid's medium and whenever they hear about sex and violence games, they pull out that "think of the children" gambit and start demanding tougher laws. But there are already rules and regulations in place to protect kids, they just don't bother to learn about them and would prefer to rely on the government to do their parenting for them. It's the same with this bill; it's unnecessary because there are already restrictions in place but people don't know about them. And since most of the people complaining aren't into anime and manga, they are quick to believe people like Gov. Ishihara who go around claiming that people are selling rape manga to their kids when nothing could be further from the truth.
Aothan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:01 pm Reply with quote
if I understood the article correctly, the industry's lack of promotion or adherence to present regulations could be the primary cause of the issues perceived by the public. I agree it would be precipitous to bring about anymore regulation until present regulations are properly met. This would be a kind of erring on the side of caution for all genuinely concerned of the issues rather than just political or economical advantages. If preventing accessibility of explicit adult material to the underage is enough for public concerns and yet the industry won't self-regulate then a clash of ideological demagogues will ensue, which, in any case, will do more harm than good regardless of outcome.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:37 pm Reply with quote
The industry IS self-regulating; it's just that people don't realize it, not because there's no regulation, just that people won't take time to find out for themselves. They'd rather listen to some politician instead. From what I understand, the industry tried to get in on the discussion on this bill but were shut out. So basically, people who have no understanding of the anime/manga industry are making rules about it that aren't really necessary and may seriously harm freedom of expression. THAT'S why people are upset and worried.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:41 pm Reply with quote
The video game law comparison is rightfully as both bills have alot in common. California is NOT using the ESRB to determine what is "violent" and are using broad/vague wording in their law to make most games fall under their bill. Even simple games like Super Mario would be "too violent" because Mario stomps on turtles. No publisher would risk bringing a game out if it won't sell to stores, and thus, no one would want to make games because they are afraid it'll be "too violent" and thus, limit creativity. And hearing a Supreme Court judge ask if an alien doing the violence instead of the human be alright, the lawyer for the California state said yes. Same violence, instead just with aliens/centaur. Makes no sense.

We are now seeing it in this bill. Vague wording, and many works that would be consider "T" rated, would be pushed to 18+ even though nothing in that work justifies it. I have heard theories here that this can lead being works not being made or simply they will just push the envelope anyway to the point where we're just going to have kid friendly or adult only, nothing in the middle.

My hope for these bills is that if we have to live with them, make things more sense. Understand how they can effect the industry, consumer, and economy. These laws wouldn't be so bad if politicians actually cared instead of pandering.
Deviant_scarlet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:26 am Reply with quote
From how I see it, no matter what political system we unravel, its always the same sh**. You have politicians who stick regulations and bills like this one down the peoples' throats for their own personal gains. Then you have ideologues like Ishihara who appeal to the worst out of the people; their emotions. "Oh think of the children" "We need to protect the kids"

Protect? Those "kids" will become future "adults" in the not so distant "future". Why do we need to "protect" them from the realities of this world. Shouldn't the "protecting" be relegated to the sole guardians of the child. What harm has "sex" ever done to anyone? Humans are truly the most complex & incomprehensible species to have ever landed on the face of the earth.

Sarcasm set aside, I do hope this bill gets thrown in the dumpster. More regulations and bureaucracy are the last things Tokyo, Japan or the rest of the world needs.

On the bright side, the Comics Code Authority in the U.S is officially dead. Perhaps we might see a revival in comics in the future. Of course, let's hope Japan's able to restore the status quo of their industry for their(and our) sake.
LordDivides

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:42 am Reply with quote
Probably a bit late with this, but:

jr0904 wrote:
Though I'm staring to wonder is there anything that fans here in the US can do?

Yes, there are two things we can do: 1: We can continue to provide finances to anime and manga publishers by continuing to buy overseas, and 2: We can provide moral support to those fighting this bill (mostly, anime and manga publishers :-p) whenever we get the chance.

Haterater wrote:
The video game law comparison is rightfully as both bills have alot in common. California is NOT using the ESRB to determine what is "violent" and are using broad/vague wording in their law to make most games fall under their bill. Even simple games like Super Mario would be "too violent" because Mario stomps on turtles. No publisher would risk bringing a game out if it won't sell to stores, and thus, no one would want to make games because they are afraid it'll be "too violent" and thus, limit creativity. And hearing a Supreme Court judge ask if an alien doing the violence instead of the human be alright, the lawyer for the California state said yes. Same violence, instead just with aliens/centaur. Makes no sense.

We are now seeing it in this bill. Vague wording, and many works that would be consider "T" rated, would be pushed to 18+ even though nothing in that work justifies it. I have heard theories here that this can lead being works not being made or simply they will just push the envelope anyway to the point where we're just going to have kid friendly or adult only, nothing in the middle.

My hope for these bills is that if we have to live with them, make things more sense. Understand how they can effect the industry, consumer, and economy. These laws wouldn't be so bad if politicians actually cared instead of pandering.

I'd argue this particular law wouldn't EXIST if the politicians actually cared instead of pandering, since it's largely unnecessary.

But basically, yeah, I agree with what you're saying here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4