• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vividred Operation (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
methaniel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
I'll be a bit disappointed if this "docking" turns out to be less delicious than it sounds. Such a cruel cliffhanger in one way, but it's made for some wonderful fanart.

I had partially forgot about it, but right! "Docking"!
Damn it, I hope it will be something awesome, but I somehow can only imagine stupid outcomes...
Also I do wonder if this serie will have a huge time-slip at a moment or another. The first minutes do open with someone who I could guess to be Aoi with some years gotten, but will we get to see this scene again at the very-end of the anime, or in the middle. I quite appreciate characters getting older, and seeing this "old" Aoi made me somehow think about Nanoha
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Hoping he doesn't have any lecherous tendencies....

What would he do, crawl up her pants? Laughing

Seen Ungo? spoiler[Kazamori] made a pretty serious attempt at seducing Shinjuurou while controlling a tiny toy panda.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:22 am Reply with quote
ep.1

well um this a bit remind of strike witches but in future more bit difference.

spoiler[
so akane give well give her dad is r.i.p. while mom is hospital & yea live her sister with grandpa who is inventor.

yet one day cue some invasion attack which akane's grandpa knew it coming so ready some project til boom he now in doll toy while body stuffed in fridge.

give key to akane to key in save the world yet on the way oh akane has rescue her friend give fear of heights due 7yrs ago which got her & akane's mom falling.

give all charge to save her friend yet key is unlock a marching band outfit to ready save the day.]
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quote
I watched Strike Witches and more or less enjoyed it. For me, the biggest annoyance with Strike Witches was the bizarre leg-propellers. I thought it was a pretty ridiculous idea for a propulsion device that no one would actually want to use. However, the story was generally very cute and although there was a lot of fanservice, it somehow wasn't really all that offensive (probably in large part because of the lack of an "audience stand in" character).

So far Vividred Operation seems to have a similar vibe to it, but the fanservice here seems more overtly sexual, which may be a problem. Strike Witches created a bunch of voyeuristic situations, but often the fanservice content was presented in a humorous/joking manner. This probably allowed the staff to get away with more stuff that might otherwise be offensive. The first episode of Vividred Operation seems like it is presenting that type of content in a more serious and "direct to the point" way, such as Akane and Aoi spoiler[being clearly presented as some kind of yuri couple right from the get-go], and the grandpa telling them at the end of the episode in a completely serious manner that spoiler[they would have to "dock" in order to save lives]. It is like the author is beating us over the head with spoiler[the idea of two cute very young girls having sex in order to save the day]. I don't remember Strike Witches ever being that heavy handed/serious with its content.

I was also questioning the idea of having spoiler[the granpda turn into a stuffed mascot by a scientific means]. It definitely didn't make sense to me. I love cute little fuzzy mascots just as much as the next person, but I don't like something being forced in a way that isn't very imaginative or creative. This was just like "spoiler[We need a fuzzy cute mascot. How do we do it? Oh yea! We'll just have the grandpa suddenly transfer into one due to an unexplained explosion in his science lab! Science is the same thing as magic right, so no one will question it."] I agree that this was lazy writing. They should have come up with some kind of fantastical magic scene for this type of transfer, rather than have it happen off-screen due to some random unexplained explosion.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:36 am Reply with quote
you don't like using your imagination, do you?
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:48 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
you don't like using your imagination, do you?

If I was only interested in using my imagination, I would do that instead of watching their show. The reason you watch a show is to enjoy what someone else has created through their imagination. The mascot transfer thing was a very poor example in that regard.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:00 pm Reply with quote
eh, alright. whatever works for you
methaniel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quote
If you were to only look at the first respective episodes of Strike Witches and Vividred, there was to my memory (not perfect I'll admit) more fan-service in Strike Witches. To be honest, I was rather pleasantly surprised that there was so few bloomers shots during Vividred, considering the already infamous past of the director.
spoiler[I don't care about yuri couplings at all, but Strike Witches was just full of yuri couplings from the get-go, or rather it was only yuri couplings, so having (so far) only 2 girls being reaally good friend in Vividred looks in comparaison a lot softer...and also, there was some sort of combined attacks in Strike Witches were they would go "Gattai"...so a docking ain't gonna hurt]
I don't really see the point of questioning the mascot in a Magical Girl show either. Rather I would want to actually praise Vividred for being one of the shows with an explication behind the mascot (and not the mascot simply being here like it happened awfully often...)
And despite taking the defense of Vividred, even if it had a pretty solid first episode overall, that doesn't mean yet I'm completly sold to the serie (and probably won't anyway since it's not my favorite type of anime, I will still enjoy it a lot probably)[/spoiler]
lem

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:57 pm Reply with quote
shouldn't that read Vivid Rear End Operation? Shocked geeezus. Yet another one tailor made for the Otaku. Cute twintailed characters with their teen t-n-a on display. They just keep tappin' that happy nubile a$$ for all that it's worth. Awesome.

just freakin' awesome.Rolling Eyes

*puts this one in the "...to each his own..." & "seen too much" *
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:
shouldn't that read Vivid Rear End Operation?

+2HP. Well played, sir.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:58 pm Reply with quote
My favorite quote, regarding spoiler[grampa/mascot], from a review of the show at metanorn.net:

Quote:
spoiler[I really have no idea how he’s going to get his body back though. They said he wasn’t breathing, which means he should be undergoing severe brain damage (and a bunch of other things generally not good for survival). How will sticking him in the fridge do anything aside from slowing down the decomposition process? Then again, I guess I shouldn’t question him returning his mind into a damaged body when there are girls floating in the air thanks to a shiny necklace. Ah, the power of science in the future is so mysterious…]
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
im sure when the time comes where that's actually important, gramps will figure something out. or maybe he's totally ok with being in a stuffed animal
hpulley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Tons of silly wonderful tropes rolled into one show with beautiful art, animation and music. A show like this is supposed to be fun, not serious, so I'm not going to worry about the silly stuff. Letting your 5th grader do your finances... Anyways, I'm all in, preordered BD 1 for import already.

Fun tropes spoilered in case no one has watched episode 1 already:
spoiler[Really long transformation sequences that destroy clothes, except for the tighty whities. Aliens that no one believed when crazy inventor grandpa saw them six years ago in an accident which gave his daughter a huge fear of heights she overcomes in the first episode to save her best friend. Since no one believed him, only he has prepared for them with more of his inventions. One of those inventions blew up and placed his consciousness into a plush ferret which his daughters drag into the fridge like Weekend at Burnie's. Conventional weapons are useless, only 14 year old girls in hot pants AND tiny skirts using his inventions can save the earth... by docking!

If you were shocked by the butt shots then you didn't see any of the preview videos or images or know the people making the show.

The mascot is convenient so he can ride with her, perhaps that's a bit of a plot device. Hard to take grandpa on your hover scooter named Wanko... hmm.

I don't think they missed anything... except they don't seem to sing while they fight but we have AKB0048 for that...]
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote
When the very first scene ends with morning(?) light, a butt and a camel toe, you have a good idea what the thrust of this show will be. I think that may be the ultimate panty shot.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
When the very first scene ends with morning(?) light, a butt and a camel toe, you have a good idea what the thrust of this show will be. I think that may be the ultimate panty shot.

so far, the show hasn't primarily focused on asses
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13