• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Beelzebub (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:01 am Reply with quote
I had dropped this show after watching episode 3 and the OVA. Looked like the show was nothing but trying to keep baby beel from crying so they wouldn't get electrocuted. Hilda was a decent character, but not enough to make me stick around. Decided to pick it back up after reading in another thread that Hilda would be getting in a fight with spoiler[Aoi Kunieda(who is painfully sexy Anime exclamation )]

I'm glad I started watching again. This seems to have picked up nicely beginning in episode 7 which just so happens to be when The Queen came back. I'll continue to watch this show as long as it doesn't go back to "let's hope baby beel doesn't cry" comedy.
Eivion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:05 am Reply with quote
The Baby Beel crying stuff was overdone to add some filler in. Its really supposed to be a smaller part of the series than it has been so far.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:28 am Reply with quote
I'll take credit for Nosferatu21 tuning back it as it was my post about Queen Kunieda in another thread that prompted it.

*chomps on hero biscuit*

I was another "dropped it early on 'coz humour wasn't working for me" type whom Kunieda seduced into giving the show a second chance. I loved her 3-eppie arc. Big question is will I be able to watch episodes that don't feature her prominently?

Time will tell.
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:05 am Reply with quote
Hoped you saved half that hero biscuit for the Rancorous, because it was his avatar that reminded me of her as well Wink

I think she'll get some solid screen time. I feel like she's been set up to be a heavily recurring character. That's what I hope at least. If she's not around, who will Hilda wrestle in the pool of hershey syrup I built in my backyard especially for this?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:13 am Reply with quote
Laughing

Let's hope your feeling (and pool-building effort) is right. Although, I hope she hasn't really spoiler[quit being a Gangleader the way the end of eppie 9 suggests. A large part of her allure is her bad-assness.]
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:15 am Reply with quote
Nosferatu21 wrote:
I think she'll get some solid screen time. I feel like she's been set up to be a heavily recurring character. That's what I hope at least. If she's not around, who will Hilda wrestle in the pool of hershey syrup I built in my backyard especially for this?

The teleporter guy and the white haired fella. Laughing
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:44 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
The teleporter guy and the white haired fella. Laughing

It was a quiet afternoon. A young man had just stepped into his backyard, arms filled with containers of whipped cream and heart filled with a joy only 2 hot chicks wrestling in a pool of hershey's syrup could cause. However, the look on his face was one of immense pain. For in his pool was not 2 hot chicks. It was a cross dressing demon and a white-haired sidekick. Frolicking in what was once his pool of euphoria, but is now his pool of misery.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Nosferatu21 wrote:

I'm glad I started watching again. This seems to have picked up nicely beginning in episode 7 which just so happens to be when The Queen came back. I'll continue to watch this show as long as it doesn't go back to "let's hope baby beel doesn't cry" comedy.

While episodes 4&5 are mostly worthless, Episode 6 is also a good one- a stand alone episode with solid humor and no electric shocks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:05 am Reply with quote
Nosferatu21 wrote:
Hoped you saved half that hero biscuit for the Rancorous, because it was his avatar that reminded me of her as well Wink

*puffs up chest* Cool

Honestly, I sort of lost interest in this show with the 4th episode because it wasn't funny and was rather gross spoiler[(endless stream of baby pee? Really??] Is is going the Panty & Stocking route? Rolling Eyes ). But, the following episodes were rather good, I dug the whole trying to push off baby Beel onto someone else gag as well as the over-the-top student delinquents that's been going since the get-go. And then Kunieda's episodes came along and I was completely back into it. However, I felt that spoiler[her fight with Hilda was over too soon], but that's just me Razz .

I think what made Kunieda for me is that yeah, we're told about how legendarily bad-ass she is, but we first meet her when she's being normal and "typical older sister" type. Then we're shown her with bound breasts, white trench-coat with mens pants wielding a sword the following episode. Also, they give her a soft-side without... moe-tizing(?) her. I laughed at the end of her second episode when she says spoiler["I wonder... if he's divorced?"] Laughing
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:34 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
I laughed at the end of her second episode when she says spoiler["I wonder... if he's divorced?"] Laughing

It says a lot about her innocence about relationship matters when she thinks that if a guy has fathered a child he must be (or have been) married. I suspect it has something to do with her being so strong no guy has ever dared ask her out, meaning she has zero experience of how to interact with guys her own age (besides beating the tar out of them).

Aoi has been a refreshing and humourous character who has been a delight to watch. The moustachioed teleportation demon on the other hand makes me cringe, although I wonder if it has something to do with a scatter-gun approach to comedy on behalf of the Manga-ka. You know, put in all different types to appeal to the widest audience possible (and more pertinently, to see what sticks).
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I made an AMV in honor of Queen Kunieda it's here. I hope you like it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I did! Nice job.
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Very nice. I'm sure the Queen will be pleased.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I was another "dropped it early on 'coz humour wasn't working for me" type whom Kunieda seduced into giving the show a second chance. I loved her 3-eppie arc. Big question is will I be able to watch episodes that don't feature her prominently?

Time will tell.

Imo the manga goes from strength to strength after Aoi joins the cast... her and other additions just really click well...

They really should've hotshotted Aoi's introduction arc earlier... no point having a character that can keep people watching if most people have dropped the show before she's introduced.
Zork

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I dropped this show after watching about two-thirds of the first episode. I disliked the main character Oga and I really took a disliking to Baby Beel, especially his character design having such a huge round nose.

I watched the last two episodes because of what everyone was saying about Aoi. I'm glad I did because I really fell for the Queen Embarassed I still hate Oga and little Baby Beel, though.

Too bad Aoi doesn't have her own series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6