• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Beelzebub (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I refer to him as Demon Freddy C**k-block. Not only is he repellent in a homophobic way and rather insulting to fans of Freddy Mercury and/or the much superior and flattering spoof version from Cromartie... but he is tiresomely repetitive and unfunny.

But mostly I have come to enjoy the humor of the show and enjoy the humorous focus on the supporting cast, such as Rich guy's impersonation ploys to beat Oga and the yogurt-lover trying to get stronger and attempting his two-foot kick. It's far from great but it can kill 24 minutes of a weekend.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Eivion

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
That is... exactly how I feel. That old man is so bloody annoying, and to make things worse he keeps popping up way too often. This is one of the very rare times where I find a bunch of enjoyable elements yet just a couple of annoyances make me want to drop it. I'm also getting fed up with Hiruda (or whatever the devil she's called) --- she simply had no character development whatsoever, and she comes off as a bitch given the way she keeps acting.

Is it like this in the manga?

Alain delon is the name of the old man and he is like that in the comics though the show has made him much worse than usual. Same with Hilda, she has actual development in the manga though the bitch attitude is still there.

The problem is the show is trying to badly drag things out to reach an episode number it has no business trying for with the actual amount of the material the manga has right now. This whole thing with Toujou for instance would have been settled around episode 8 or 9 if they didn't add such a ridiculous amount of filler.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote
So, any final thoughts?

I'm glad I stuck with it through those early episodes and got to the point where it became clear that the emphasis was on the gag comedy and not so much on the fighting. And those early ones were certainly bad- I very nearly dropped it after the piss episode but it made a turnaround at episodes 6&7 and actually started getting funny. They lessened the electrical shocks, introduced the extremely likable Aoi, and starting fleshing out the other supporting characters.

Never great, but solidly good. It eventually even became harder to distinguish the filler from the source material.

I feel a bit sad to see it go, but it obviously got to the point where they were running out of manga material to adapt.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
4750G

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote
I was disappointed with the way it ended. Too rushed for me, really. The series overall is good; it's entertaining, and come on, Baby Beel is cute. The side characters are funny, though I didn't like much Kunieda's unrequited love. It's really enjoyable to watch, despite the shaky plot. However, the ending is too rushed for me, as I've said in different threads already. I didn't feel any buildup at all. I was happily watching when suddenly I was told the series will end on the 25th. I understand that it's catching up way too fast with the manga. That's why it's such a waste. I might as well start reading the manga now.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:36 am Reply with quote
I hear this got licensed.

Madman said they were trying to get it, but another AU anime company got it. If Madman was going for it, that means someone in the states got a hold of it.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Beelzebub turned out to be a truly fantastic series, I personally find the manga more hilarious, but the anime was also really fun to watch. I would be interested to see if this series was indeed licensed, but only time will tell.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Beelzebub turned out to be a truly fantastic series, I personally find the manga more hilarious, but the anime was also really fun to watch. I would be interested to see if this series was indeed licensed, but only time will tell.

http://www.fandompost.com/2012/03/31/manga-entertainment-uk-panel-at-mcm-expo-birmingham-reveals-new-anime-acquisitions/

Read that, it says something about Beelzebub
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6