• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 10 Tearjerkers That'll Empty the Tissue Box

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:38 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
What a hilarious joke that everyone got.

I know there's no rule saying moderators have to be polite and courteous, but do you have to express your disagreement so snippishly? Not every poster you disagree with is Fencedude.

By the way, I'm not involved in this, I also didn't realise Karisu was being sarcastic - incidentally, I didn't think it was funny either.
wdykjoe77

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:49 am Reply with quote
After reading the article list, and all the comments thus far, I'm very surprised to see only one brief mention of the wonderful anime series:

Full Moon o Sagashite

I assume this is because it's one that less people have seen. And you would have to be able to get into a slice of life type story about a singing magical girl.

However, of all the anime I've seen (and I've see a LOT), this is #1 on my personal list for tearjerkers. It's a very endearing story, with very likable characters. The main character is on a journey of sorts with her life. About 2/3rds of the way through the series, something happens and it just really turns things on it's head.

Def worth watching!
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:24 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Sara's scene from NTHT gets my wholehearted support, though. I'd be hard-pressed to think of a more wrenching scene anywhere in anime

The spoiler[attempted drowning, and then attempted murdering of the unborn child] was a wrenching scene, but the scene after what lead to it was a bit more wrenching, IMO (when Shu saw her in the dungeon after he had been beaten).

Also, spoiler[the scene where Soon is killed while preparing to kill Nabuca to protect the children, and Boo intercepts the bullet, and is killed.]. That was really the final straw for me.

Boy, that show really depicts this bloody world we call Earth.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:31 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
One that I haven't seen yet but would definitely be on my list is in Hikaru no Go, when spoiler[Sai passes/disappears]. Hikaru goes through spoiler[ALL the stages of grief], and the process takes multiple episodes. I don't think there is any other anime series that had me crying for so many episodes in a row. Because as Hikaru spoiler[goes through the long grieving process], you do too, right along with him. It is only sadder because spoiler[he can't really tell anyone what he is going through, since Hikaru is the only person who knew Sai even existed].

You took the words right out of my mouth. Hikaru no Go was my first thought when I saw this list, I think I've never cried as much for any character or any show like I cried for spoiler[Sai]. It's exactly as you describe, while watching spoiler[Hikaru go through the grieving process you grieve too and it's incredibly painful]

Other scenes that made me cry like a fool

-spoiler[Shaka's] death in Saint Seiya: The Hades. I was a lot younger and impressionable back then, but it made me cry so so much.
- In Junjou Romantica, more especifically Egoist, spoiler[when Nowaki asks Hiro for a last chance to explain himself, yet doesn't meet the appointment and Hiro is sitting under the rain waiting for him]
-spoiler[L's death] in Death Note. I had already read the manga, but watching it in the anime I went histerical -mostly out of anger than sadness- I remember I was watching it with my sister and she had to turn off the DVD and slap me a little, I was really out of it.
- spoiler[Sorata's death] in X. That one was just too sad and painful. I'm generally vulnerable to nice guys dying

Also second on Code Geass, Gurrenn Lagann, Full Metal Alchemist, AnoHana (though I had recently lost a very close relative so I was extra sensitive) and Wolf's Rain
Optitron

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:01 am Reply with quote
Wow, 90+ entries down and no one mentioned Barefoot Gen yet? This is particularly surprising to me considering that its only been a little over a month since Keiji Nakazawa's passing.

I have to say I'm kind of shocked. I cry at the drop of a hat for most sad moments in film and tv, yet there isn't a single entry on this week's list that made me cry. To be fair, I haven't seen Steins;Gate, anohana, SaiKano, or Air, so that explains nearly half the list. Also, as far as Now and Then, Here and There and Grave of the Fireflies are concerned, I had to emotionally detach myself from those early on in order to keep functioning through them (same goes for Barefoot Gen).

As for the rest... yeah. I couldn't really care about Lain's abandonment because Lain herself didn't really seem to mind that much spoiler[until she started to lose her friends at school]. I do at least remember feeling sad about Nephrite's death in Sailor Moon, but it certainly didn't leave a significant impression on me. I don't really mind this one so much though, since it sounded a bit like a personal attachment, and I can certainly relate to that (I have a similar attachment to the DBZ episode "Vegeta's Pride". If you're not sure which one that is, think early Majin Buu saga and you'll probably be able to guess). As for Spike... sorry, I'm just not that much of a Cowboy Bebop fan.

The only choice that really burns me is the ending to 5cm Per Second. Now I've cried in every Makoto Shinkai work I've seen. Hell, I cry every time "Through the Years and Far Away" (theme from Voices of a Distant Star) plays on my iPod. 5cm is not an exception to this. I cried during this movie... specifically tears of joy at the conclusion of the first act. The end of the third act left me feeling betrayed and angry at the film. Honestly, if I hadn't later read the epilogue in the manga version (which I hope was written by Makoto Shinkai because nothing in the Manga suggests otherwise) I probably would have ended up despising this movie forever (this was actually how I discovered that I am apparently a romantic).

I've liked a lot of what others have mentioned, and by 'like' I mean I've been moved to tears by many of the same moments. Episode 18 of Gankutsuou, "The Duel", definitely tops my list. I think someone already mentioned this, but in a more spoilerish way. Every time I've watched this series, I start to cry at the end of episode 17 and can't stop crying until the credits start to roll at the end of this episode.

That being said, I could probably create my own top ten list using series and scenes that still haven't even been discussed:

10. Magic Knight Rayearth: spoiler[Death of Princess Emeraude] and Rayearth II: spoiler[Nova's origin story]
09. Unico in the Island of Magic: spoiler[The origin of Lord Kuruku]
08. R.O.D the Ova: spoiler[Nancy's sacrifice]
07. The ending of the aforementioned Voices of a Distant Star (tears of joy). If that's cheating then replace it with Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz: spoiler[Heero's bombing mission goes awry]
06. X the TV Series: spoiler[So many choices, if I had to pick I guess I'd go with Seishiro's death]
05. Detective Conan: spoiler[Again, many choices, though a clear stand-out for me is the episode "Karaoke Box Murder Case"]
04. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time: spoiler[Makoto and Chiaki's farewell]
03. Digimon Adventure: spoiler[Wizarmon's death, lots of other Digimon's deaths] I realize that Digimon has already been mentioned, but not this season, and besides, this moment had to be mentioned
02. Kino's Journey: spoiler[so, so many choices, but again my choice is clear: the episode "A Kind Land - Tomorrow Never Comes - "]
01. Tsubasa Chronicle: spoiler[Pretty sure I could make a top ten list just with moments from this series, high (low) points include Syaoran's sacrifice to Yuuko, everything that happens in the Country of Tokyo a.k.a. Tokyo Revelations, and the death of Dream Sakura in Shunraiki]

And let's see... I skipped moments from s.CRY.ed, Slayers: NEXT, Maison Ikkoku (only because its another instance of tear of joy), Gundam Wing itself, Pokemon: the First Movie and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. If I went into mangas from here I'd probably be at this all night, so I'm just gonna call it here.

Oh, and a curse on whoever beat me to the punch with spoiler[Asahina's death] in Rahxephon and the first episode of Yu Yu Hakusho.

EDIT: Damn, somebody added X while I was writing this monster. Well, I'm not taking it down... fine, I'll add spoiler[Scherise's death] from s.CRY.ed.
MistressLegato

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:54 am Reply with quote
I cry WAY too easily. I concur that Madoka would be an addition to my list. (Never made it fair into Air, or Kanon, or any of the rest of those because the art makes me want to vomit. I'm picky.)

I cried reading the X manga when spoiler[Seishirou dies in Subaru's arms ] Anime cry Ugh, kills me! And before I read the manga I saw the awful X:1999 movie, but it still made me cry my face off when I was 14. spoiler[ I mean EVERYONE DIES.] Doesn't get more depressing than that.

But CLAMP is good at that. Cried at the end of Code Geass R2, too!
Zarquon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:22 am Reply with quote
Wow I'm really surprised that no one mentioned Summer Wars.

The Part where Sakae Jinnouchi spoiler[ dies and it slowly pans over the grieving family ] Just kills me. Same thing with the spoiler[ will reading scene ]

Also the ending of Angel Beats is certainly worth the listing, I mean, spoiler[ Otonashi is confessing his love and promising to literally Wink spend eternity with Kanade only to have the rug pulled out from under him. ]

Last edited by Zarquon on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:25 am Reply with quote
The deaths of spoiler[Zabuza and Haku] in Naruto.

Just kidding.

No amount of flashbacks, verbal references, re-animated sequences, or sad wistful music will ever make me tear up over anything in that so-so early arc.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:46 am Reply with quote
Kind of a belated point, but emptying the tissue box would mean using them by crying into them, right?
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:21 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
Dam, no love for shoujo works here I guess because having seen pretty much every Key work none of them got more than a meh out of me, maybe the last scene of Air, but Full Moon was said.

Regarding Now and then, honestly that show is more disturbing than sad, same with Grave. These are shows that put something in solely for the sake of getting certain emotions from you, but are not genuinely sad due to the forced feelings of the work.

I don't think I've ever heard the opinion that Grave of the Fireflies feels forced. The rendition of average citizens, children, trying to survive during war conditions outside of society rang pretty true to me.

It is forced, it exploits children, albeit fictional ones, by putting them in a situation that could have easily been shown through adult point of view simply to make a message. Same with now and then, a lazy writer will use children, which tend to easily illicit emotions from others a lot more easier than adults and teens. Hell animals are the same thing. Killing a puppy is more likely to ellict emotions of sadness in many than a full grown man being shot in a battle field.

So I do find it contrived because I am sure the writers/creators of Grave could have easily got the same message across without using children.

And if you have Grave and Now and then , then why not sky crawlers? That is a film about children being pitted against each other in battles to the death in stimulated warfare for the amusement of the populace with the story focusing on one particular group where the kids have died over and over again.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:24 am Reply with quote
Grave of the Fireflies is an adaptation of a semi-autobiographical novel.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:13 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

Same with now and then, a lazy writer will use children, which tend to easily illicit emotions from others a lot more easier than adults and teens.

In the dark corners of our world, warlords put rifles into children's hands, and terrorists strap bombs to them -- not to elicit emotions but to save their better-trained people for jobs less likely to get them killed. I can't fault NHTH for reminding me of that.
dr ochanomizu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:36 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

So I do find it contrived because I am sure the writers/creators of Grave could have easily got the same message across without using children.

I’m not sure how you can contrive an account that was author’s experience during the war; he then later wrote about this in a novel describing the tragedy of the war.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akiyuki_Nosaka
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:27 am Reply with quote
Some of the deaths in Fushigi Yuugi? Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal?
Some parts of the Animatrix?

Heh, Toonami just aired "The Real Folk Blues" tonight.

And AFAIC, everybody got what they deserved in Now and Then, Here and There. Twisted Evil

And who watches Grave of the Fireflies twice?
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:14 am Reply with quote
Man, you people are being awfully nice with the use of the spoiler tag. Thank you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10