• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Swan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravetailor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:

Hey hey, there's a reason why a snagged two copies of the first volume Wink ...But it's still easily available on Amazon and other book sites. Not to mention the pages are kind of thin and easy to yellow, so even if it were to get scanlated someone should nab the Japanese books. There was a fantastic hardcover release a little whiles back.

Yeah, I agree that the CMX releases are still easily attainable for cheap, I have all of them and I got them recently. I'm talking about the rest of the volumes that won't be released.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
ZepysGirl wrote:
Yeah, I agree, that dig at Skip Beat! was just really... random (and I disagree entirely, but that's another point). I liked the rest of the review, but man, do we need to put down other series to make this one seem extra special? I think both Swan and Skip Beat! are awesome.

Everyone's comments in this thread are making me want to read more Skip Beat; I've only read the first few volumes. -_-;; I'll check it out more, and I apologize for my possibly premature judgment.
simside

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Swan really does have some of the very best art I've ever seen. There's a scene where one of the boys with a crush on Masumi dances Bolero that was probably one of my favorite scenes in any manga. So passionate! I'm also hoping for the English version to be someday picked up and finished by another publisher.

Reading your comparison of Swan to shounen manga, for some reason, Saint Seiya kept creeping into my mind.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:09 am Reply with quote
Jason Thompson wrote:
according to Sergeiev, Japanese people are bow-legged

This is apparently true, at least to a degree. See the "O-kyaku" entry (September 19, 2006) in The Japan Times column "So, What the Heck Is That?"
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:28 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
Jason Thompson wrote:

This is apparently true, at least to a degree. See the "O-kyaku" entry (September 19, 2006) in The Japan Times column "So, What the Heck Is That?"

Whoa, interesting! Thanks, I had never heard of this (or noticed it when looking at people's legs... although I did remember that Shimpei Itoh, in the back of one of his translated Hyper Dolls comics, said Americans made better cosplayers in short skirts because they have longer legs. -_- )
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:58 pm Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:
doc-watson42 wrote:
Jason Thompson wrote:

Whoa, interesting! Thanks, I had never heard of this

You're welcome. Very Happy I recalled something about it, and then went looking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2