• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Shocking Betrayals Out of Left Field

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I fail to see how Spike and Vicious' situation is shocking at all. The guy's name is Vicious and he kills people for a living. What did you think was going to happen? Spike was making time with his girlfriend. Julia was a slut who cheated on her boyfriend and Spike was a terrible friend for sleeping with his best friend's girl. Of course, Vicious is a terrible murdering sociopath, so I have no real sympathy for him, but he was the one who was betrayed first.

Now Harry McDowell in Gungrave, there's a betrayal.

Not to mention "out of left field" implies that the betrayals were just random and make little sense, which is different from shocking. It means that they make no sense. So this would have to be a list of nonsense betrayals that don't fit the narrative whatsoever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Etrien

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Nico1924 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Nico1924 wrote:
I knew that Rolling Eyes I was asking because "Et tu, Brute?" is totally incorrect in french, so it doesn't mean anything actually Wink

They wouldn't have been speaking French, plebeian.

Quote:
Protip: Caesar was not French. As for what he was, well if you don't want to be a philistine anymore then go find out.

Ehhh are you people that stup**? I never said Caesar was french or anything like that, my gosh!!!!

Read again the article and you'll see that in the introduction, the author wrote "Et tu, Brute?".... And I just corrected the sentence, I didn't make any historic comment, just linguistic... Rolling Eyes

Instead of hurling baseless insults, you might want to do a bit of reading. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Et_tu,_Brute%3F

Or at least try taking a look in the mirror. Razz
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:19 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Not to mention "out of left field" implies that the betrayals were just random and make little sense, which is different from shocking. It means that they make no sense. So this would have to be a list of nonsense betrayals that don't fit the narrative whatsoever.

I'm afraid you're mistaking "Out of Left Field" with "Out in Left Field". One means "out of the blue/without warning" while another means "unreasonable."

http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2009/01/out-in-left-field.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Nico1924 wrote:
Ehhh are you people that stup**? I never said Caesar was french or anything like that, my gosh!!!!

Read again the article and you'll see that in the introduction, the author wrote "Et tu, Brute?".... And I just corrected the sentence, I didn't make any historic comment, just linguistic... Rolling Eyes

Caesar was Roman, and there was no way he was speaking French to Brutus. The line isn't wrong, and so you in no way "corrected" it.

How you managed to not know what language the Romans spoke is beyond me. But I will say that it isn't good form to call people stupid when you're the one who is wrong.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

I'm afraid you're mistaking "Out of Left Field" with "Out in Left Field". One means "out of the blue/without warning" while another means "unreasonable."

http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2009/01/out-in-left-field.html

Ah, touché.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Now that's French. ^.^
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Now that's French. Anime smallmouth

Ba dum tish.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Now Harry McDowell in Gungrave, there's a betrayal.

I couldn't have said it better.

I am mostly familiar with the anime on the list, but they do not seem that out of left field. But I agree with Anthy's betrayal at number one; not so much because it was very unexpected; but it was shocking and kind of hard to swallow for me.
sainta

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:08 pm Reply with quote
The first Fullmetal Alchemist deserves its mention considering how they handled spoiler[King Bradley's revelation as a Homunculus.]
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:24 pm Reply with quote
The listing of Gendo is kind of odd. For the whole show, he's been shown blatantly to be lying to and deceiving Seele and doing something secretive (Kaji, Misato and Hyuga at various points are trying to uncover Gendo and Ritsuko's real purpose for Nerv, different from the stated "defeat the Angels" thing).

The listing of Gendo's ultimate goal as "creating the new human race with Rei" is also weird. He wants to reunite with Yui after she locked herself inside Eva-01. To extract her he needs the power of Lilith and Adam's Anti-AT Field. Aside from that, the only thing you know is that his version of Third Impact is less destructive than Seele's.

The betrayals in that scene are Ritsuko to Gendo, Naoko to Ritsuko and Rei to Gendo. Actually, Rei would be a great addition to that list: Gendo's puppet, who has served his orders time and time again, stating that she would kill herself if ordered to, rejecting the plans to which her entire three lives have been built because of the independence she's slowly gained over time.

SpacemanHardy wrote:
Wait, absolutely no mention of the completely random and out of nowhere ending of spoiler[Panty & Stocking]? Guys, I'm crushed!!

Spoiler tagging the name of the show is kind of useless. If you spoiler the word "ending", people who have seen the show will know what you're talking about and people who later watch the show will probably forget there was a shocking betrayal until it happens.
unused

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
One does not simply compare Shen Long to other dragons
Although he's not invincible (he was killed once right), there is nothing cooler than his ability to grant your wishes.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:17 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:
No great fan of dragons. I guess I could vote for Haku but I think of him as more of a river-god than a straight-forward dragon.
But something was sticking in my head... I just watched or rewatched something with a "dragon" in it that I thought I liked... what was it... what was it... oh yeah...
Hatori Sohma from Fruits Basket Wink

He doesn't even turn into an actual dragon, and no I'm not agreeing with that whole "all dragons start out as seahorses, and only some gain the opportunity to ascend to dragon-hood" garbage. Personally, it'd have been nice if he turned into an actual Chinese dragon. I'd have loved to see how that would have turned out.

Um, let me repeat myself...
" Wink "

it was not a serious suggestion to include Hatori. Just a story of me trying to remember what dragon I had seen in an anime recently, only to realize it wasn't one at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pleinair92

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
These days, it's hard to imagine that there was a time that people thought that Aizen was a good guy and not the mastermind behind most of what goes on in Bleach.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, regarding Gendo Ikari: the only betrayal he could be said to make was against Seele. The members of Seele were suspicious of Gendo all along, but thought they had set things up where it didn't matter what Gendo did, they would win.

I also second Harry MacDougal's actions in Gungrave was a pretty amazing betrayal. However, IIRC we know from the 1st episode that he was the Bad Guy, so when we're watching the flashback episodes, we're just learning how it came to pass: that can't really be called shocking, though it was pretty sad. That whole series was pretty sad, IMO.

As far as the situation with Spike and Viscious goes: I'd have to say that Spike actually betrayed Viscious, rather than the other way around. Yes, it was spurred by an affair of the heart rather than of the mind, but it was a betrayal all the same.

I started going through my "My Anime" list, trying to think of any significant betrayals that might fit the list. I was surprised at how few I came up with.

Le Chevalier D'Eon has a few, but the most notable being spoiler[Teillagory]. The way the last few episodes played out was unexpected, convoluted, and sad.

Fate/Zero has spoiler[Kirei Kotomine].

Gurren Lagann has spoiler[Rossiu], though you could see it coming if you were paying attention.

Legend of the Legendary Heroes has spoiler[Sion Astarl].

Magic Knight Rayearth has spoiler[Princess Emeraude].

My-Otome has spoiler[Nina Wáng].

Those are the ones that came to mind as I was skimming my list. Not that many when you consider how many titles I've seen, though I'm sure my examples are far from exhaustive.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
I'm surprised that Code Geass didn't get a mention for Lelouch's spoiler[Zero Requiem]. It was incredibly shocking after spoiler[he took the throne as Emperor and made himself public enemy to all his former allies]... well, until the final episode when it's revealed why he did it.

spoiler[What about the events that forced Lelouch to resort to the Zero Requiem in the first place? Always remember that the Black Knights betrayed Lelouch first.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9