• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - The Saga of Shonen Jump Part II

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:08 am Reply with quote
and i like being able to get a manga without having to get a piece of tech to use it, Im not against digital manga because i think it looks or feels wrong but im collecting the stuff and i dont want to lose my collection if/when the digital distro ends.

That being said for a weekly magazine type deal such as SJA the advantages of digital distro cant be ignored and as long as the physical volumes of the featured manga are still up for grabs at later dates im happy.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:09 am Reply with quote
What would be nice is a small discount off the printed volumes for subscribers, although I guess so many places sell them for ridiculous discounts anyway, my point is probably moot.
thenix

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:08 am Reply with quote
I didn't get Jump Alpha for a long time because both I didn't want digital manga and I was keeping up with most of the manga on there already without jump. thankfully I guess, I got out of reading most of it for awhile. The price is really cheap and I like how it's going to be coming out before any scanlation can. I also like how it's adding more manga. This all convinced me to buy.

I really hope they keep releasing more series even if they get canceled early. I want it eventually to just be everything in the real Weekly Jump.
sainta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:22 am Reply with quote
Jason felt really annoying when he talked like a fanboy about why Kishimoto was a bad mangaka. He is bad because he talks about his personal life in interviews and how he relates it with his work?! What the hell?! And that scan of the Naruto manga really screams that he is been up to date with the manga rather than what he said.

Also, dropping Bleach just because you found it similar to Dragon Ball sounds nitpicking. It's hard to take this seriously anymore. Even more with sentences written in capitals when this is supposed to be an ANN article not a forum.
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote
If I am forced to get a e-reader to read books and magazines does anyone knows which is the best buy for the money Amazons Kindle or Barnes and Noble Nook. I still prefare to read books and magazines in good old print. I find both anime and manga series have a tendency to drift into subplots anonying at times breaking up the story line. Though it help explain and gives background to the story arc at times. I hope the best for Shonen Jump Alpha. Confused
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:52 am Reply with quote
Good review of Shonen Jump Alpha, which I've been curious about. I want to get into digital manga because I do think it's the wave of the future, but I've been dragging my feet. I don't have a tablet yet and reading manga on my computer doesn't sound very appealing.

But SJA (Weekly Shonen Jump) will probably be my entry point into digital manga, since I love shonen. I'm disappointed though that Bakuman isn't in it. That leaves me with another dilemma: buy physical volumes of Bakuman ($9.99), or digital volumes at $4.99?

Here's another argument for physical media: if I get the physical volumes, I can resell them to Bookoff or another used bookstore, or I can donate them to a library and enable young people to discover manga for free. But the digital volumes are cheaper. Geh! My head keeps going back and forth on this. Confused
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Bakuman was in it, but it ended in Japan so also left the magazine here. You can probably get the physical volumes online for not more than the digital ones as well.
Alphakun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quote
It's called Weekly Shonen Jump.

Genius.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Jason felt really annoying when he talked like a fanboy about why Kishimoto was a bad mangaka. He is bad because he talks about his personal life in interviews and how he relates it with his work?! What the hell?!

Dude, sarcasm. Obviously I don't think Kishimoto is a bad mangaka because he has a life and cares about his family. Kishimoto isn't a bad mangaka. I just like Eiichiro Oda better.
ptolemy18

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
And that scan of the Naruto manga really screams that he is been up to date with the manga rather than what he said.

The scan was from the latest issue of Viz's WSJ, of course. When I say I'm not up to date, I mean I haven't read the 100 or so chapters prior to that chapter. Why would I, or anyone, lie about being up to date about Naruto?
ptolemy18

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Also I should probably point out, since it appears throughout the article. Shonen Jump Alpha is no longer called Shonen Jump Alpha. Its now Weekly Shonen Jump. The name change signifies them going day and date with Japan, as well as their new subscription plan no longer having purchased issues expire over time (which apparently was a thing with Alpha)

*embarrassment* Aggh! How did I miss that it wasn't "Alpha" anymore? Apologies to everyone who pointed this out.
sainta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:17 pm Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:
sainta wrote:
Jason felt really annoying when he talked like a fanboy about why Kishimoto was a bad mangaka. He is bad because he talks about his personal life in interviews and how he relates it with his work?! What the hell?!

Dude, sarcasm. Obviously I don't think Kishimoto is a bad mangaka because he has a life and cares about his family. Kishimoto isn't a bad mangaka. I just like Eiichiro Oda better.

I like your articles, my favorite was the Hoshin Engi for how quick it was made while giving a good description of the series without being harsh, but this just felt obnoxious. Just trashing series and authors for no reason. Sarcasm isn't easy to read in words. I can easily find these types of comments in 4chan or Youtube.

Last edited by sainta on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:

http://www.yenpress.com/yenplus/ More than half of it is YA novels adaptations now though and only one manga is being serialized in it.

Wait, what the hell? Seriously? Confused

Yeah...I love Yen Press, but their Yen Plus offering it very weak. Their current line-up consists of 5 American series, 3 manhwa, and 1 manga. (As a side-note, all of the Am. stuff is based on novels; none are original series.) It's all well and good that they are open to variety, but I don't care for the novel adaptations, mostly due to a lack of interest in the original series. And if you don't read Soul Eater Not (I don't) then you're screwed on the manga front.

I keep my subscription for the manhwa, but I am considering ending it and waiting for the physical copies. I get that licensing issues are probably coming into play, but I'd imagine the magazine (and sales) would be just a bit better if they could include a couple more of their stronger, long-running series.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Bakuman was in it, but it ended in Japan so also left the magazine here. You can probably get the physical volumes online for not more than the digital ones as well.

Ah! Yes, I'd heard that Bakuman was ending but I didn't know it already ended.

I was going by the Vizmanga.com retail price of $9.99 for the physical book but you're right, I just checked Amazon and businesses are selling new volumes for around $5.00. I'll probably wind up buying the physical books.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:31 pm Reply with quote
it's not call Weekly Shonen Jump Alpha anymore. just Weekly Shonen Jump now. Just like software Alpha is just like a demo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3