• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 MacGuyver Successors

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
How many actually remember MacGyver besides the title? Laughing

Hey! Some of us here are old farts, or at least old enough to have seen the first run Voltron and Robotech as kids. Yes, I remember MacGyver.

No, I meant remember the episodes. Laughing
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Of course I remember the episodes. MacGyver finds himself in some insidious plot, MacGyver gets captured, bad guys make mistake of locking MacGyver in a room with a paperclip, soda bottle, vinegar, and can of tuna fish, MacGyver constructs fully functional laser out of said items and proceeds to free himself and foil plot of bad guys, yay MacGyver, the end.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Of course I remember the episodes. MacGyver finds himself in some insidious plot, MacGyver gets captured, bad guys make mistake of locking MacGyver in a room with a paperclip, soda bottle, vinegar, and can of tuna fish, MacGyver constructs fully functional laser out of said items and proceeds to free himself and foil plot of bad guys, yay MacGyver, the end.

Hmmm.....there seems to have been a lack of variance in the show....
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Of course there was a lack of variance. Every episode of MacGyver was, without question, awesome.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
No, I meant remember the episodes. Laughing

Well, clearly I remember the episode with the chocolate and SpacemanHardy obviously did too. But not only do I remember them, I own them.

The first two seasons were great, the next 3 were very good, and the last 2 kind of fell off after Mac went from being an easy-going country boy who took everything in stride to becoming a cranky old dude (even though he wasn't old) who seemed annoyed when unexpected things happened. I think Pete's going blind changed him.

Btw, Ted Cole, who voiced Keaton in the dub, was actually in an episode of MacGyver. Smile

OT: All the murderers in Detective Conan. Almost every last one of them creatively juryrigs the means of murder to give themselves an alibi.

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
dizzon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Mine too. Sigh...maybe Shooting Star, Mycen, Bramd, or Abram would've done better. That show had some awesome dragons

I was surprised at first to see Narse as the Lodoss dragon representative over Shooting Star but when I thought about it it made sense. Though, while not playing as big a role as Narse I think it could be argued Shooting Star is the more memorable of the five because of the focus he had in the OVA, and those OVA's tend to be what people think back on when RoLW is mentioned.

Having said that, I doubt he would have done any better in the voting. Anime cry
Dezakore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Haku #1 . . . . really?? Anime dazed

On another note;
all this talk about Master Keaton makes me think its worth the watch not to mention Naoki Urasawa had his hand in it (loved Monster and 20th Century Boys)
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
^ YES. I can assure you, IT IS WORTH THE WATCH. Master Keaton is my 6th favorite anime series of all time, easily.

Yawara is good too, but it's more of a slice of life/comedy.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:32 am Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:
those OVA's tend to be what people think back on when RoLW is mentioned.

Y'know what I always think of? "Welcome to the second part of the show!" LODOSS ISLAND!
gsilver

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:44 am Reply with quote
When I read the title, I instantly thought "Master Keaton" only to find it wasn't there...

But my favorite anime MacGuyver who isn't Master Keaton is Kaiketsu Zorori. He can make the most awesome things out of anything.

Garbage and radishes? That's all he needs to build a fully functioning space ship.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:28 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Btw, Ted Cole, who voiced Keaton in the dub, was actually in an episode of MacGyver. Smile

Shocked Surprised Which season and episode?!?!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:55 am Reply with quote
S3E9 Hell Week. He played an insufferable science student who thought he knew everything. Smile
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
^ YES. I can assure you, IT IS WORTH THE WATCH. Master Keaton is my 6th favorite anime series of all time, easily.

I would concur with this assessment. Keaton is one of those shows that truly keeps you interested every episode from start to finish. There is no low point really. No swing in it's awesomeness. Just a nice constant progression with each episode grabbing you until the end IMHO. You won't leave that show wishing there had been more depth, more plot, or deeper characters.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
You won't leave that show wishing there had been more depth, more plot, or deeper characters.

Only more episodes, perhaps a long arc or two(to the uninitiated: the show is mostly one-ep-wonders but don't let that stop you.)
Slowzhand

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:13 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Shocked Surprised Which season and episode?!?!

Season 3, Ep 9 "Hell Week"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0638721/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4