• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your thoughts on "American" anime?

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:02 am Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
Not sure how many of you follow him, but gigguk has posted a "first impression" video for RWBY, viewable here.

Watching that review video - I am very very impressed. Despite my press for RWBY to be considered as anime - my bottom line does rest on the comment at 1 minute 27 seconds.

Jose Cruz wrote:
Animation in the US is derived from comic strips and even today tends to follow the same patterns

And so, if you really do not like that stereotype, quit perpetuating it. Rolling Eyes This whole American anime deal is about CHANGE. Btw, someone make me an Obama style poster with the word "Change". Wink

===

And Weiss's tsun tsun is so deliciously tsun!

http://i.imgur.com/sb4JmAH.jpg
Morisummer500

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, there may be American cartoon series that can try to mimic the anime style, which wouldn't be so bad, sinch most American cartoons are horrible, save for South Park, which has the same craziness and naughtiness of a lot of animes anyway, but just doesn't look like anime! (The style was borrowed, I think, form animations done on Monty Python). The only American cartoon series that was closest to being like anime was Josie and the Pussycats! Not in the way it looked but the way it was done. First you had the pop star idols, which is a popular trope in animes, who dressed up like catgirls, another popular anime theme, then you had Alexandra with her two toned hair who was always after Josie's boyfriend, now how many animes have you seen with that idea, the love triangle type theme!

Alexandra would be a perfect anime character. Actually there was an anime character much like Alexandra too, with the pushiness and grandiose ideas- Hibino from Hime-chan no Ribbon!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 34 of 34