• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Devil Is A Part-Timer! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:09 am Reply with quote
^
It's clear with the repeated "I'm the only one allowed to kill you" lines in the third episode that she does harbour a soft-spot for him, even if she doesn't want to admit it. Those who are familiar with the relevant trope will know that such an attitude is a good indication that Yusa and Maou will not remain enemies forever but fight together against this threatening third party. Heck, they practically have joined forces already. Nothing works better at bringing two enemies together than a common enemy and petty bickering, eh?
Arkov

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:45 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Just because she's competent in a fighting context doesn't mean that she's going to be good when interacting with others. Hell, Emi to me is the age-old "Warrior who's extremely good at fighting but utterly baffled by interaction with others" archetype. The only problem is that her job is entirely based in interaction...so I'm not sure if my interpretation is valid.

Aha! This anime isn't about the struggles of Satan and his lieutenant thrown into the human world without powers, but a detailed look into the frustrating and tedious life of working as a telemarketer (or whatever the specifics of her job are)!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:57 am Reply with quote
When they first introduced her job, I though it would have been more appropriate for Satan to have been the customer service rep. Very Happy
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I started watching this last night and have a question someone here might want to comment on.

Why is Satan suddenly so content to live a docile, law-abiding life as a lowly restaurant worker. Of course that is the title of the anime, but you would think that even after losing his magic power the same guy who ordered wide scale slaughter on four continents wouldn't be going about his comeback this way.

I would expect him more to see opportunities to get rich and powerful through violence, subterfuge and crime. Even the Hero girl can't figure it out. Was there some plausible explanation about why he turned all wimpy that I missed?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Nope. It's a question that has many of us scratching our heads. I love the show so much that I don't particularly care what the reason is, but if the show comes up with something clever to explain it, I'll be happy.

A poster speculated that perhaps Satan wasn't really as bad as we assume he must have been back on Isla Enta - the victim of malicious propaganda, perhaps? This line of speculation suggests that what we are seeing of him now is actually in line with the way he's always been.

My own theory is that the transfer to earth not only causes people from Isla Enta to lose a good chunk of their magic and strength, but affects their personalities, as well. So Satan is no longer as evil as he was a Demon King and Emilia is no longer as effective as she was as a Hero.
Clarste

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I started watching this last night and have a question someone here might want to comment on.

Why is Satan suddenly so content to live a docile, law-abiding life as a lowly restaurant worker. Of course that is the title of the anime, but you would think that even after losing his magic power the same guy who ordered wide scale slaughter on four continents wouldn't be going about his comeback this way.

I would expect him more to see opportunities to get rich and powerful through violence, subterfuge and crime. Even the Hero girl can't figure it out. Was there some plausible explanation about why he turned all wimpy that I missed?

They haven't gone into any more detail yet (unless you read the novel I guess), but it's pretty easy to imagine him as someone who worked his way into power. We don't know much about demon society, but there's no reason to believe that he needed subterfuge or violence to take power. He's probably just the kind of guy who has enough faith in his own abilities to believe with complete confidence that his efforts will be rewarded. Also, he might be thinking in much longer time scales, since demons probably live longer than humans. "It'll only take 100 years to conquer the world!"
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote
We don't have an official answer yet, but I stand by my earlier stance that there was never anything particularly evil about the guy, he's just diligently ambitious. "Demon King" is something he probably just fell into by birth or tradition or some such.
Clarste

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I can't remember if they were linked here or not, but there are some official "job applications" for the various characters floating around, and according to Maou's work history he became Demon King about 70 years after he became a soldier in the demon army.
Riddley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I think you're still missing my point about what's bothering me, and that's my fault for not being able to express it clearly enough. I'm not even sure I can.

We've seen her being extremely capable in both worlds, so when she acts like a ten year old having a temper tantrum instead of someone who has led armies against the forces of evil, it just doesn't ring true, unless the gateway gave her a personality transplant. I just think they could have written her differently and still had her be just as funny, but more likeable (to me anyway). Eh, just write it off as my dislike of tsundere characters.

I dunno, try imagining her as being homely and having a voice like Otose's, and see if you think her behavior still seems consistent and reasonable. Very Happy

Thing is, we haven't seen her leading armies. There's a vast gulf of difference between being a leader and being a good fighter (i.e. the hero.) I personally don't think she was the leader of any armies. I think she was just someone trust into the role, who perhaps had very good swordsmanship.

As for the why behind the Maou chosing to work as a part-timer, keep in mind that several times throughout the last few episodes he's touched on the fact that this is just a means to an end. At the end of the day, he's happy knowing that this is the first step in his plans for world domination. If he changes through that process, well...so be it. But I think he legitimately thinks this is just the stepping stone. Remember, he doesn't get the whole social structure (i.e. working up from a part-timer to a powerful CEO or whatever is not exactly an overnight process.)
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
A poster speculated that perhaps Satan wasn't really as bad as we assume he must have been back on Isla Enta - the victim of malicious propaganda, perhaps?

Yttrbio wrote:
We don't have an official answer yet, but I stand by my earlier stance that there was never anything particularly evil about the guy, he's just diligently ambitious.

I get the point, but at the same time in the prologue we were shown an apparently innocent civilian woman run down and slaughtered with a spear in a fountain of gore. Probably ruined her whole day. The presumption in the story was that this was happening on a mass scale in four island nations at the behest and delight of Satan. A few scenes later he is offering an umbrella to a stranger.

So while I get the points being made that Satan's underlying nature was apparently corrupted by power, the change in attitude seems rather sudden and extreme. However, I would take Blood-'s position that if they can explain it later fine, but for now it seems kind of funny that the Hero is shown to be the zealot not the villain.
Clarste

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Blood- wrote:
A poster speculated that perhaps Satan wasn't really as bad as we assume he must have been back on Isla Enta - the victim of malicious propaganda, perhaps?

Yttrbio wrote:
We don't have an official answer yet, but I stand by my earlier stance that there was never anything particularly evil about the guy, he's just diligently ambitious.

I get the point, but at the same time in the prologue we were shown an apparently innocent civilian woman run down and slaughtered with a spear in a fountain of gore. Probably ruined her whole day. The presumption in the story was that this was happening on a mass scale in four island nations at the behest and delight of Satan. A few scenes later he is offering an umbrella to a stranger.

So while I get the points being made that Satan's underlying nature was apparently corrupted by power, the change in attitude seems rather sudden and extreme. However, I would take Blood-'s position that if they can explain it later fine, but for now it seems kind of funny that the Hero is shown to be the zealot not the villain.

While it's easy to argue that a leader is morally responsible for the actions of every soldiers, that doesn't mean he personally ordered them all to commit atrocities. Maybe he just didn't supervise them, or even think about it all. Maybe he'd never even seen a human and merely approached the war in a detached "Risk" fashion.

I really don't see how the actions of the soldiers can be used as an indication of his personality.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I am betting on the explanation that spoiler[he did not really understand humans that well, perhaps in his life they were merely things standing in the way of his kin, and his ambitions led him to the war. The cruelty part probably comes from a mixture of not understanding, mismanagement, and the cruelty of at least 3 of the other generals.]

I think that it fits into what we have seen of his ambition, his blindness of certain aspects of his plan, and why he is so friendly to people that are not too different to him.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:
Thing is, we haven't seen her leading armies. There's a vast gulf of difference between being a leader and being a good fighter (i.e. the hero.) I personally don't think she was the leader of any armies. I think she was just someone trust into the role, who perhaps had very good swordsmanship.

They showed her on the parapet with her sword thrust out in that "Go forth!" position, while armies at ground level went into battle, which to me looked like she was their leader, and the narrative said as much. It also said (s)he gathered the knights of the alliance to lay siege to the central island, which again sounds like she was the one who took the initiative and was calling the shots. And we see her directly attack Maou, backed up by her comrades (as opposed to being their support), on his own turf. So yeah, both swordsmanship and leadership have been on display, both in the visuals and the narrative.
Arkov

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:02 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I am betting on the explanation that spoiler[he did not really understand humans that well, perhaps in his life they were merely things standing in the way of his kin, and his ambitions led him to the war. The cruelty part probably comes from a mixture of not understanding, mismanagement, and the cruelty of at least 3 of the other generals.]

I think that it fits into what we have seen of his ambition, his blindness of certain aspects of his plan, and why he is so friendly to people that are not too different to him.

We're also not really taking into account what the humans of Enta Isla were like. We don't have a history of that land, so for all we know the humans oppressed the demons and led them to commit the atrocities that they did. There isn't much basis for this argument, though there's not much to counter it at this point either. Just speculation for speculation's sake. Also, I got kind of a bad vibe from the humans who confronted Satan, I don't trust them (apart from Emilia).
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote
humans are the bad guys. They need to be wiped out. Demons are the good guys in that world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 30