• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Japanese Government Establishes “Creative Industries Internationalization Committee” to Strength

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
We still get J-pop and rock bands playing at venues. as for J-cultural style. We had a festival called "Japan Matsuri 2012" last October in City of London's Trafalgar Square. These things get sponsored by the Japanese Embassy here.

Well at least Japan still has something left. But I wish Japan could do more, as I said Japan can learn a lot from Korea. Just last year, we had KCON, think anime con but replace anime/manga with K-pop, and Korean culture. If UK is able to have something similar, expect more K-pop performances to happen in the UK.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Your still saying that Japan should be like Korea. That is the last thing Japan should be doing. We like Japanese things, because they are Japanese things.

Nothing, besides Elvis, can be cool forever. Everything has its time in the sun, then something new comes along.

Japanese music and anime are Japanese things, and should remain so. When Japanese tastes change then its music and anime will change also. I don't want Japan to be Americanized or Koreanized. If you can't love the culture for what it is, then why are you listening or watching.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Your still saying that Japan should be like Korea. That is the last thing Japan should be doing. We like Japanese things, because they are Japanese things.

Nothing, besides Elvis, can be cool forever. Everything has its time in the sun, then something new comes along.

Japanese music and anime are Japanese things, and should remain so. When Japanese tastes change then its music and anime will change also. I don't want Japan to be Americanized or Koreanized. If you can't love the culture for what it is, then why are you listening or watching.

Japan is not doing a good job on globalzing their items for the last few years. I love Japanese culture, but it seem like Japan is isolating most of their pop culture from the world. If you didn't read the article I linked then I don't think you didn't read this:

Quote:
“We get many requests from overseas fans,” says King Record’s Sayaka Yamada, who manages the international catalog of girl groups like Momoiro Clover Z. “Financial support would be very helpful,” she continues. “Japan should study Korea, which invested a lot to promote K-pop artists."

So you see, I even agree with her. Japan can learn a lot from their Korean counterpart on how to globalize their music. J-pop on Itunes in US are limited when there's a huge catalog of K-pop albums and songs on Itunes. J-dramas on streaming sites like Dramafever, Crunchyroll, and Viki are rare there are less then 10 J-dramas on those streaming sites, when I can find over 150+ K-dramas on those same sites. Taiwan is exporting more Taiwanese dramas outside of Asia.

TarsTarskas: Do you watch K-drama or any Asian dramas? Do you listen to K-pop? Do you know the extent popularity of K-pop outside of Asia? Are you even open-minded when it comes to Korean, or other non-Japanese stuff? If you don't then why are you complaining about my comment when you don't even know how Korea globalize their products???

Ask yourself this: Why didn't J-pop get the same global popularity like their K-pop counterpart? Why didn't AKB48 and EXILE get the same level of popularity outside of Asia like Girls Generation and Super Junior did? Why is there less J-dramas on streaming sites when there are more K-dramas out there? Why are there less J-pop on Itunes, yet K-pop can be found on Itunes easily?

What I'm trying to say is that Japan should learn from Korea on how to globalize their product for western audiences. Korea knows how to do it hence why we're in a Korean Wave. If Japan learn from this, then Japan can have a "Japanese wave" which could help the anime and manga industry not only in Japan, but worldwide. A "Japanese Wave" can help revive the anime and manga industry both in Japan and US.

Don't you want anime and manga industry in the US to be as good as it was few years ago before the decline? Don't you want AKB48 and EXILE to get the same global popularity as Girls Generation and Super Junior and don't you want AKB48 and EXILE to do a world tour?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:18 am Reply with quote
Your main thrust has always been that Japan must change the content of their material, in order to appeal to a global audience. Using your Korean examples as a template.

I feel that would destroy what we like about Japan. Why should we want that just to appeal to the global masses. We will always have access to Japanese material.

You want Japan to change, and I just think they need to better promote their material.
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:08 am Reply with quote
That's what mdo7 has been saying. More J-Pop on itunes, more J-Dramas on streaming sites, and if some of the the idols have "questionable" things to export, then focus on the ones that don't have that like the older members. That doesn't change what makes Japan their own unique thing at all, just exposing more of them to the masses.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
That's what mdo7 has been saying. More J-Pop on itunes, more J-Dramas on streaming sites, and if some of the the idols have "questionable" things to export, then focus on the ones that don't have that like the older members. That doesn't change what makes Japan their own unique thing at all, just exposing more of them to the masses.

Exactly that's what I'm saying, I mean look at how Korea market their products and brands. Korean dramas are just as popular as anime/manga yet Japan won't export J-dramas in huge number. Arirang TV, KBS World, Mnet America broadcast K-drama and K-pop, while NHK World only has one J-music programs and no J-dramas. For J-pop, beside J-Melo on NHK and Music Station (if that is still being broadcasting outside of Asia), I can't find any J-pop programs similar to Pops in Seoul, Showbiz Korea, Simply K-pop, and After School Club. I don't see other J-pop programs broadcasted outside of Japan when K-pop programs like Inkigayo, Music Bank, and M! Countdown are broadcasted outside of Korea/Asia. Even Korean variety shows are shown outside of Asia for western audiences to watch, I don't see Japanese variety shows being broadcasted outside of Japan or Asia, I can find plenty of Korean variety shows avaliable on Dramafever and KBS World's Youtube channel. I don't see Dramafever carrying Japanese variety shows on there.

Also a lot of our J-pop boy group like Kis-my-Ft2, Sexy Zone, KAT-TUN, NEWS, Kanjani8, Hey! Say! Jump, NYC, A.B.C-Z could get the same level of worldwide popularity like their Korean counterpart like ZE:A, U-KISS, 2PM, 2AM, MBLAQ, Beast/B2ST, BtoB, VIXX, Nu'Est, Infinite, Teen Top, LC9, and others K-pop boy group you can think of. Arashi could rival SHINee, SS501, and DBSK. I always thought Scandal and Flumpool could rival FT Island and CNBlue on international level. Namie Amuro could rival Lee Hyori on a international level. I want to see a J-pop concerts outside of anime cons and big as SMTown, United Cube, and Music Bank World tour. You see how Korea does it, I want J-pop to do this too. SMTown concert in LA back in 2010 made it on Billboard boxscore, it was #10 and making K-pop the first Asian performers to make it on the Billboard Boxscore chart and it outdone Shakira and Justin Bieber concert on the chart. I never seen or heard of J-pop being able to do this achievement nor make it on Billboard concert chart. As a matter of fact, K-pop has done many international achievements that J-pop was never able to do.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:02 pm Reply with quote
@mdo7 and Hateater

If you are not talking about Americanizing or filtering content for Western audiences, then I don't have any problem with what you are saying.

Think the main problem for you all, is that Japan doesn't see a significant market or profit overseas, that would make it worth their while to spend money or effort on promoting their stuff overseas.

I would love it if a lot more of the songs on the Japanese iTunes was sold also on the iTunes over here. Really don't know why Apple forces you to have two separate accounts and two separate iPods for this.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:07 pm Reply with quote
There are already a few thousand J-Type music genres on Amazon MP3 and music CDs, Especially Vocaloid, which is my haroin like addiction at the moment, so I'm not too sure what you mean by "more needs to be available" as vocaloid alone adds at least 3 or 4 every week. I'm pretty sure Japanese radio is streaming on the Intarweb as well.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:22 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
@mdo7 and Hateater

If you are not talking about Americanizing or filtering content for Western audiences, then I don't have any problem with what you are saying.

Think the main problem for you all, is that Japan doesn't see a significant market or profit overseas, that would make it worth their while to spend money or effort on promoting their stuff overseas.

I would love it if a lot more of the songs on the Japanese iTunes was sold also on the iTunes over here. Really don't know why Apple forces you to have two separate accounts and two separate iPods for this.

That's what I'm saying, why would you think I want Japanese content being change for western market (where did I say that, where did I say Korean content were changed for western audiences, where did I say Japanese content should be transformed into Korean?), I never want anything change but make it more accessible to western audiences, look at how Korea does it, they know how to do it while Japan they don't dare use Youtube or Dramafever to show J-drama or Japanese variety shows or want a lot of their J-pop music going to Itunes all over the world. There are less then 10 J-dramas while I can find over 150+ K-dramas on streaming sites and I don't see a lot of J-pop on Itunes when there is a huge catalog of K-pop on Itunes.

You owe me an apology for misinterpretation/misunderstanding what I said because you thought I wanted to change the Japanese content when that is not my intention and what I said. When I said Japan should learn from Korea I'm saying Japan can learn how to globalize, market, and promote their products and culture outside of Japan/Asia from their Korean counterpart like how Korea did it for K-pop, K-drama, and anything Korean.

Mohawk52 wrote:
There are already a few thousand J-Type music genres on Amazon MP3 and music CDs, Especially Vocaloid, which is my haroin like addiction at the moment, so I'm not too sure what you mean by "more needs to be available" as vocaloid alone adds at least 3 or 4 every week. I'm pretty sure Japanese radio is streaming on the Intarweb as well.

I mean there's only one AKB48 album on Itunes, and I can't find J-pop music from Hey! Say! Jump, A.B.C-Z, Sexy Zone, Kis-my-Ft2, D-date, and others. Same for J-pop girl group, Itunes does not have E-girl, Dream, or Momoiro Clover Z.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
You really shouldn't have asked for an apology. I know what you have been saying the entire time in this thread.

mdo7 wrote:

.....I also think AKB48 will probably need to either tone down or remove the schoolgirl look because that's not going to help them outside of Japan. After School don't need schoolgirl look to make themselves look good in Korea or in Japan.
So I don't see problem with AKB48 going from a schoolgirl look to K-pop influenced J-pop girl group. Although AKB48 could lose some of their hardcore fans, but I think it's worth it. I like AKB48, but I think they need to tone down the schoolgirl look because that's not going to appeal outside beyond the otaku audience.....

mdo7 wrote:

.....-drop/tone down the schoolgirl look, they have to look more mature like K-pop counterpart. The schoolgirl look will not appeal to anyone outside of the otaku fandom and to international audience.
-Revamp the dance, drop the cute dance and start emulating dance used in K-pop or outdo K-pop dance.....

mdo7 wrote:

In addition to this, I think AKB48 might have a more fair chance at faring well internationally if they toned down on the sexual theme on some of their PVs. So far, much of the Korean PVs that I've seen have little to no hints of any sexuality displayed...
.....Those dances completely blow AKB48 cute dance out of the water. AKB48 will have to start replicating these dance or outdo them.....
.....but they have to drop the schoolgirl look and look more mature in order to be taken more seriously to international audiences.....
.....No, you're limiting the audience to anime fans. If you want AKB48 to get more audiences outside of anime, they have to start looking more mature and dance on par as K-pop group so people outside of anime fandom take notice of AKB48.....

mdo7 wrote:

Well the schoolgirl looks is not going to appeal anyone outside of otaku and anime nerds. If they lose their otaku/anime nerd audience because they drop the schoolgirl look and take on a mature look they'll get more fans that are not otaku but general audience, who knows maybe they'll get more overseas fan like I mention the K-pop band, U-KISS having more fans outside of Korea then in Korea.

This is just from some of the comments you have made in the first half of this thread. The mods probably wouldn't be happy if I did all of your comments from the entire thread, even if pared down to the essential points.

Your whole gist is that the Japanese need to change and water themselves down to appeal and be acceptable to international audiences.

That they should be willing to drop all their fans, who like them they way the are.

So basically, you want them to drop me and every other anime fan, so a bunch of other people who don't care about them now, will have a chance at seeing them.

All anyone here has to do, is reread the entirety of your comments in this thread to plainly see that you do want Japan to filter themselves to be acceptable to the west, irregardless of their appeal to their current fans and that you want them to emulate their Korean counterparts.

Bottom line for me, yes I do want them to be more popular, but not at the cost of them losing their appeal to me and their current fans, and to what makes them Japanese.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
@ TarsTarskas: I won't change AKB48 looks or drop their schoolgirl look, but I'm not really sure if the schoolgirl look will be picked up by international audiences outside of hardcore anime/manga fans, and hardcore Japanese pop culture fans. The only thing I would want change is to revamp their dance to match the K-pop one, even another J-pop girl group, E-girls have dances that is on par with their K-pop counterparts. That is the only thing I would want change, their dance, or if they can make their cute dance as creative as SECRET, another K-pop group did for one of their song. I find SECRET's cute dance for Yoohoo a bit creative. If AKB48's cute dance can be creative like what SECRET did, then I think they could get audiences outside of the anime/manga fandom. I do think AKB48 has potential to get the same level of popularity like Girls Generation outside of Japan and Asia if their agency/labels promote them right and heavily. One of AKB48's music video has 89 million views, that is the only J-pop MV I know that has the highest views on Youtube. Couple of other AKB48 have reached high views like this one has 46 million views. So I do think AKB48 has potential to compete with Girls Generation on international scale.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7