• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Russian Parents' Group Appeals to Putin to Ban Death Note Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kutsu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:01 pm Reply with quote
'Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.' - Robert Heinlein
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
Anyways, is there even a single instance of suicide in Death Note that was not caused by the Death Note?
spoiler[Misa.] Hinted at in the anime, but it wasn't featured in the manga series.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote
It's been a while since anyone through a fit about Death Note. At least some of the other ones involved kids making pretend Death Notes, but this is even more ridiculous. Unfortunately, people do things like this, and we never fully know why, but it is far more likely that there were numerous other problems that were far bigger than anything a piece of entertainment could possibly cause.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote
It is tragic that someone felt the need to take their own life and at such a young age, but it boggles my mind that somebody could say oh they were reading these comic books I don't like, this must have been why they did it.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
USA USA USA

I'm not sure what's worse, The fact someone is chanting USA on a form about a dead girl, or I'm actually trying talk sense into him/her.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't there also an article on ANN a few months back about a potential ban on Ikki Tousen in Russia? Do they have some sort of vendetta against anime/manga? Besides, we don't even know if the note of the deceased girl was attached to the manga, or just happened to be in the same room as them. If it's the latter, then they're REALLY stretching things. Reminds me of the 'kids listen to Marilyn Manson, they'll go on a shooting spree' argument we heard back in the 90s. Hopefully they can clear up why this poor girl took her life, while also clarifying the effect the manga (didn't) have on the act.

And yes, like was said earlier, god help us all should they find Berserk to complain about Rolling Eyes
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Parents groups: Avoiding real issues and tilting at windmills since inception
GiriOni

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
What? Did the girl write her name in the book with the word suicide next to it?

*sigh* Might as well ban the bible, cause who knows what teen might kill his/her self over Jesus dying. Rolling Eyes
mrsatan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
In Japan, you kill with a Death Note. In Russia, Death Note kills you.

Sorry.
ProsesRoses

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:52 pm Reply with quote
This is just Scapegoating for parents who didn't pay enough attention to their kid's lives or their behaivour and don't censor the media themselves bought by their kids from their allowances.

Surely anime/manga fans cannot largely attribute to their high suicide rate. Maybe they should invest in psychological care and counselors, and not bans on media.
Kenshin_sama

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
If it was something like a battle manga encouraging kids to partake in violence, that would be believable (this can also be helped with good parenting). But for something as extreme as suicide, it's really hard to believe that manga is the primary cause of it. Yeah, I can see it giving a slight push in that direction, but it shouldn't be the main driving force for attempting suicide. My guess is that it's mostly from a poor upbringing or lack of guidance. Definitely shouldn't ban media for something that could have been prevented by the parents.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I love the Irony of this, they're trying to Ban it from the country which probably has tons of manga's translated into their language, yet it's at my High School's library. Weird. Confused
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
well why won't the parents do what we do here, a good old fashioned book burning and ban your kids from reading it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesenion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Cool story. Shocked
Alunimus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Same old Russian post-soviet parents and other babushka-s that try to stick their nose into everything that THEY perceive as harmful for children. Some of them still think that all cartoons (aside from Soviet ones - they are full of soul and... uh... Soviet power) are making their children maniacs, idiots etc etc. And yeah, it's kinda easier to blame some book than to search for real reason behind this suicide.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4