• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Capcom Explains Why Ace Attorney 5 is Download-Only in West

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corinthian

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:36 am Reply with quote
This may have changed in the newer games, but I felt the first few games suffered from a lack of replay value. Play it once and you've done everything. You can maybe revisit it years later, but by then there's a new one out. It wouldn't surprise me if they were going digital-only just to keep people from buying used copies from Gamestop, which they don't make money off of.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:05 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
It was hard enough for Capcom of America to even get the go ahead to get this localized. Just be happy we're even getting it at all.

I'd love a physical copy, yeah, but I'm pretty much used to niche titles going digital only nowadays, especially from bigger devs, so this doesn't surprise me in the least.

This isn't corpse party or black rock shooter that is on a failing in the west. The 3ds is selling fairly well and making a bone-headed move like this only shows that capcom really doesn't know what it's doing anymore. Not every single game is going to sell millions and millions in the states, I really wish AAA developers from japan would learn this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:14 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

This isn't corpse party or black rock shooter that is on a failing in the west. The 3ds is selling fairly well and making a bone-headed move like this only shows that capcom really doesn't know what it's doing anymore. Not every single game is going to sell millions and millions in the states, I really wish AAA developers from japan would learn this.

uh, just because the 3DS is selling well doesn't mean Ace Attorney sells gangbusters. It's a niche series so it's perfectly viable for it to be distributed via download.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:22 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

uh, just because the 3DS is selling well doesn't mean Ace Attorney sells gangbusters. It's a niche series so it's perfectly viable for it to be distributed via download.

didn't you read the last part of my post?? I know that it's not a block-buster hit series that will sell COD levels of units per game. My problem is that most AAA game developers want their titles to sell millions of units instead of marketing the product carefully.

Nisa, Aksys and Atlus do this very well by not making an overabundance of product, just enough units they know will sell with out loosing profit. Did you also happen to forget that niche games do have dedicated following group of people that will buy/support releases in physical format as well??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
The game still retains the tradition of only voicing the 'Objection, Hold It, Take That' for characters, right?

This game like Layton vs Ace Attorney was fully animated cutscenes by Studio Bones which should be fully voiced. I'm hoping we get a little more perhaps, we get a number of well characterised individuals who are stuck with voiceless "Hold It"s though perhaps it helped make for a surprise when we find out who is speaking sometimes...
shadowsythe13

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:50 am Reply with quote
look this is problem many of japanese companies aren't not going to waist some money for retail copies its but in the states we dumb enough to buy ipads and indie games, even I found out most of the titles we're getting mostly indie games in US and europe you have to buy it online like psn or eshop. Its stupid now people don't notice what is good game, I mean I want Ex trooper for ps3 and 3ds but capcom says no its too japanese really capcom, I want my tales games on the vita but sony is not lowering prices. In a way its our fault too people, we won't get japanese titles except only the most popular like final fantasy, DMC, Resident Evil, Persona, Blazblue. Like others we won't get them because the money issues
Bonham

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
While I have no problem buying digital media, including video games. My problem with buying eShop games is that instead of being tied to an account that you can move between devices, game downloads are tied to a single device. Which just strikes me as problematic as time moves forward.

Pretty much my problem with it, as well.

TitanXL wrote:
The first 3 might have done fine for them, but if the series dropped in popularity in the west then practices will obviously change to accomindate.

Well yeah, but again it seems like Capcom's expectations have obviously been off before. Apollo Justice was released only four months after the third game in the U.S.—the latter sold really well, while it is ambiguous as to how well AJ did (certainly well enough, but perhaps not to inflated expectations based on previous games and how it did in Japan?). A series doesn't instantly nosedive in popularity like that when you have that kind of cult following. There are other factors that we simply can't quantify or know for certain... I also consider the Edgeworth game to be its own animal, so I don't think using that is a good expectation for sales for Ace Attorney 5 in the U.S. (for better or worse).
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
we wanted as many people as possible to be able to enjoy the game for as long as possible. With that in mind we have opted for a digital only release via the Nintendo 3DS eShop.

Haha what are they saying? I think there are more than 50% of people who prefer physical releases. Whatever, I never bought a digital only game/movie/manga and never will. They lost many potential buyers by making this decision. I guess this game falls in the same bin as OP Pirate Warriors---games I want, but will only buy as physical
kanechin

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:23 pm Reply with quote
f**k
time to get a wireless router.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Quote:
we wanted as many people as possible to be able to enjoy the game for as long as possible. With that in mind we have opted for a digital only release via the Nintendo 3DS eShop.

Haha what are they saying? I think there are more than 50% of people who prefer physical releases. Whatever, I never bought a digital only game/movie/manga and never will. They lost many potential buyers by making this decision. I guess this game falls in the same bin as OP Pirate Warriors---games I want, but will only buy as physical

They are saying that retail stores don't carry niche titles like this beyond initial release due to lack of sales... yet if they put it as a digital download, people can buy it whenever they want through the E-Store.

Also, if you refuse to buy games simply due to it being digital only... Are you more into gaming for the games themselves, or the collection part of it? If you are more interested in gaming than collecting, then there shouldn't be any problem with buying it digitally. You still get the game you want.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:02 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

They are saying that retail stores don't carry niche titles like this beyond initial release due to lack of sales... yet if they put it as a digital download, people can buy it whenever they want through the E-Store.

Also, if you refuse to buy games simply due to it being digital only... Are you more into gaming for the games themselves, or the collection part of it? If you are more interested in gaming than collecting, then there shouldn't be any problem with buying it digitally. You still get the game you want.

Yeah its a niche game that stores don't carry, but so are most games from ATLUS---yet they're ridiculously popular. Amazon has no problem carrying games like those, and they could even have it on their online store.

As for gaming, yeah I like to game, but I also like to own my stuff. I refuse to have a digital copy of anything since I don't physically own it. I guess collecting is part of it? But having a file of a game on my system is the same as it being some youtube video that I don't own. So I'll stick to my good old physical releases until the day I die lol
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:33 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
Quote:

Yeah until some-one steals your or your 3ds breaks, then you loose all of your digital purchases. Nintendo is well equipped in the digital game market like apple, sony, microsoft or android ,"I'm also speaking from personal experience as well". The other major problem is that game is going to sold at full retail price and no offense that's to much for digital version of any game that's not on a p.c.
Sleverin

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:42 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

This is a good point. Is the EBGames Empire seriously going to stock something like this? I know they stock an insane amount of inane garbage, but they seem to really be on the train of "out with the old, sooner than later". In all honesty, other than one local owned game store, I don't really know of any other place that sells game as a direct gaming store. It's not like Wal-Mart is going to go around stocking this stuff, and EBGames seems to be the big sheriff in town and without their support games like this won't sell most likely. Just get the game, perhaps if the numbers are high enough it'll persuade them to make physical copies of the game.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

Yeah its a niche game that stores don't carry, but so are most games from ATLUS---yet they're ridiculously popular. Amazon has no problem carrying games like those, and they could even have it on their online store.

As for gaming, yeah I like to game, but I also like to own my stuff. I refuse to have a digital copy of anything since I don't physically own it. I guess collecting is part of it? But having a file of a game on my system is the same as it being some youtube video that I don't own. So I'll stick to my good old physical releases until the day I die lol

The difference with Amazon is that they cherry-pick their titles. Sure, no Shin Megami Tensei game is ever going to sell as much as, say, a Tales Of... game or the latest Hideo Kojima vehicle, but Atlus knows who to aim at, and how to get people interested (people love their art books!).

Capcom isn't quite as savvy in their marketing decisions. Just look at what they did with Mega Man's 25th anniversary.
jayntampa

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
The problem is, Capcom is being narrow minded. It wouldn't be difficult for them to figure out the minimum copies necessary to sell to make sure they make a profit, then do a pre-order to sell those copies -- with production only occurring when they reached a certain level and no other copies being produced.

A lot of other industries work this way, it's a form of just-in-time manufacturing. It allows them to control costs and guarantee every copy made is sold.

Heck, they could do it on Kickstarter if they wanted.

My point is, there is a way for them to attempt to make physical copies without losing money. They just don't want to.

At some point, though -- you need to support your core customers or they'll go elsewhere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3