• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rare Miyazaki Interview

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Furthermore, Disney wields no creative control. There is a rumour that when Harvey Weinstein was charged with handling the US release of Princess Mononoke, Miyazaki sent him a samurai sword in the post. Attached to the blade was a stark message: "No cuts."

The director chortles. "Actually, my producer did that. Although I did go to New York to meet this man, this Harvey Weinstein, and I was bombarded with this aggressive attack, all these demands for cuts." He smiles. "I defeated him."

Laughing Badass.

I like his comments about the dubbing of his movies, and how he actually liked some of Howl's Moving Castle's voices better.

His outlook on cinemia is really rather bleak...then again, who could blame him, with the slew of crappy movies that Hollywood spawns year after year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I'd say just as much crappy anime is released as crappy anime movies, it's just the bulk of that never makes it to the US so we don't see it. Most Hollywood movies are niche films, they aim for a particular audience, so it goes without saying that the majority will be films you don't like. Either way, crappy movies, shows, animation is pretty common everywhere on the globe, even Japan. You're just in a position to notice the American side most.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:44 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Mohawk:
Quote:
Imagine being just 4 years old and seeing your world distroyed by airplanes dropping bombs,

Actually, his family worked in a factory and helped build the planes which bombed us, although this article suggests he regrets his association with the war.
I don't deny they had it coming and I'm sure many people who had jobs during the war there were working on war machines and munitions, just as they were in the rest of the industrialised nations including the UK. But to a 4-year-old? What does he know about such things? He's only experienced what must have been a very frightening world for him then. His parents might have told him that the US was the evil empire, and they only reget it because they lost. Wink
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:

I like his comments about the dubbing of his movies, and how he actually liked some of Howl's Moving Castle's voices better.

I'm surprised no one is really paying attention to that part of the article as MIYAZAKI has just handed just about everyone a plate full of their asses Shocked

Okay, to be more serious, I dont believe he really sees ALL of the Japanese voice actresses in JAPAN like that

I think it's more of a backlash to people who don't like the dubs for his movies that much and are too damn critical of them

*Er... old NAUSICAA thing not included, I'm pretty sure*

I remember hearing *on the DVDs I think?* how DISNEY coordinates with GHIBLI to make the dubs for the movies

So it's like, everyone is calling him a god, but then dissing the dubs for his films which he himself may have been involved in one way or another

But this is speculation, not too sure... but for now, the fact that he said it kinda hurts... And depending on your personal opinion, you could even say that what he said is applicable here too... whatever

ALSO, I think he hasn't been interviewed in... ENGLAND recently?

ALSO, TITANIC got beat out by SPIRITED AWAY in JAPAN
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:33 pm Reply with quote
He was also interviewed in Newsweek shortly before Howl's Moving Castle premiered in the US. In fact, I was the one who submitted the article to ANN, so I'm quite sure he has been interviewed in the past 10 years. Why do websites make these crazy claims? Just for more readership?
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:43 pm Reply with quote
When was he last interviewed in ENGLAND *or whichever country the interview came from*

... also, face to face?

Well, they didn't make it too clear, so it's just confusing now
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
ALSO, I think he hasn't been interviewed in... ENGLAND recently?

I'm fairly certain he was interviewed by Jonathon Ross for a BBC programme about Japan so yes he has been interviewed by an English source within the last 10 years.

Quote:
GATSU calls everything a knock-off. There was a period there in the early 00's where everything ever made was a Matrix rip-off on Planet GATSU.

Let's not forget Gatsu's claim that Tarantino can't direct and is just a rip-off merchant.
saishokushugisha
Editor, Anime Insider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:49 pm Reply with quote
The interview was published in Newsweek's June 20th issue this year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2