• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Offices Closed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shorty22

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:50 am Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
I also read that New Orleans - already ravaged by their weak levee systems thanks to Katrina - is getting a lot of rain from the eastern bands from Rita.

Well Rita broke/topped the weakened levees in some parts of New Orleans, so those parts that had been dried out are now getting reflooded. Confused

At least Rita weakened before hitting. It was only a Cat. 3 when she made landfall, where Katrina had become a Cat. 4 just before her landfall. And according to my newscasters, landfall is when the eye of the storm actually hits, not the, you know, entire northern side before the eye. Rolling Eyes

Houston is also on the weaker (west) side of the hurricane, plus the wind is pushing the water down and out of their bay/water thing. So that's good news for them. Unfortunately, their good news is another place's bad news... like the water is being pushed up into the canals in New Orleans because it's on the east side this time.

On one hand, I'm glad to see that the government seems to be perpared this time... the president isn't on vacation while a hurricane approaches and all that other stuff, but then, I'm still miffed about the whole lack of preparation for Katrina. Shameful. Not that I want to play this "blame game" as it's been dubbed. Neutral
biliano

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:44 am Reply with quote
Shorty22 wrote:
Well Rita broke/topped the weakened levees in some parts of New Orleans, so those parts that had been dried out are now getting reflooded.

The Ninth Ward in New Orleans, one of the hardest hit areas when Katrina blew through, is the area where the major levee breech is occuring. They don't expect this round of flooding to be as severe as the massive flooding that occured three weeks ago, however.

Unfortunately, what I posted a couple of days ago came true - the eye of Rita did hit between Beaumont and Lake Charles; more specifically, Sabine Pass on the TX/LA border. Houston and Galveston were spared a direct hit, but there are significant power outages thoroughout the area. (Did anyone see footage of that fire in the historic Strand Districin Galveston?) It looks like that ADV and our friends in Houston came out OK, but I don't expect to see ADV reopening on Monday as expected.

Starwind Amada wrote:
Except Luci Christian; she cancelled because she didn't want to leave her home and family during this time of crisis. Monica Rial and Chris Patton did the same.

You probably read this, Starwind, but for those that don't read or use the Anime on DVD forums, I would like to post what Monica Rial wrote in her Yahoo Club page about a horrible experience she had in relation to Hurricane Rita and why she's not in Atlanta this weekend:

In her Yahoo Club page (through the Anime on DVD forum), Monica Rial wrote:
I just wanted to let you all know that I chose to stay home. Greg and David and Mariela and Jessica and Vic all made it to Atlanta fine. Luci cancelled a couple of days ago... I actually went and this is why I cancelled:

I didn't get any sleep that night as I realized that we were going to have to leave at 7am to even attempt to make our 1pm flight. Greg and I took a shuttle and it took 4 hours to get to the airport. The lines at the airport were so long that we stood outside in the 100 degree weather for 3 more hours. Then we missed our flight so we were taken to a "missed your flight" line where we stood for another 2 hours. I hadn't eaten or slept. Everyone was being rude and pushy. There were people at the airport who were leaving the NEXT DAY who cause me to miss my flight. Well, we got on standby and I thought that at least I'd get to eat on the other side of the gate. We got through security and then EVERYTHING WAS CLOSED! The airport was completely full. It
just sent me over the edge. I walked up and asked to cancel my ticket. Then the lady at the counter said that we would get tickets. She printed it out for me and I just looked at it and cried. I called my mom to try and figure out what to do and she said "You do whatever YOU want to do. Don't let other people make decisions for you." And that's what I had been doing all day. So I went up to the gate and told the
lady that I was going home. I freaked out. I apologize to everyone I missed this weekend but I just couldn't do it.

I cannot tell you how ridiculous this all is! I would be at AWA if it wasn't for all of these idiots listening to the TV hype and falling into hysteria. I've lost so much respect for my city and it's citizens. 22 people have already died...EVACUATING! People are going to be stuck on the sides of the roads in the middle of this. Meanwhile, we're only going to have 8-12 inches of rain and maybe 75 mph winds. I know that may sound scary to some of you but understand that we deal with stuff like that all the time. It's no more than a big storm. Well, I'm heading to my mom's where she has cooked and has all kinds of supplies. I'm taking a bottle of wine and I'm going to relax...in the dark if need be. I'll get back to you guys as soon as I can.
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:34 am Reply with quote
Well, it's Saturday morning and it seems like Houston has come out ok. We got lots of rain, but I don't really see any major flooding problems. My power never went out and everyone I've talked to this morning has also done ok overnight. Make no mistake, the storm is still around! It can always move this way and there are many bands up above us to the north that can circulate down. But it SEEMS like the worst is over.

I think that the comments about people fleeing the storm being "idiots" and suffering from "hysteria" by Monica Rial are insulting and uncalled for. This storm could have come right through Galveston and Houston. You never know. Science cannot 100% predict anything. You know, it might sound strange to Monica, but most people do not enjoy dying! So, if they even THINK there is a chance of having their life taken, they do have the right to get out of the way of a category 4-5 hurricane! Hopefully she just made those comments about Houstonians out of frustration at her airport debacle, but if she meant it, then SHE"S the idiot and she should move somewhere else. She's worried about her airplane ticket while other people could lose everything they have, in some cases their life. So I guess in her mind, all the people on the freeways, including those that died, are idiots! Yes, the evacuation could have been handled better. But IF the hurricane had hit Galveston or other coastal cities, there would have been minimal loss of life. Because nobody was there.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:18 am Reply with quote
freshkazuki wrote:
Well, it's Saturday morning and it seems like Houston has come out ok.

Yup, my power never went out either. The wind is still blowing pretty good though. Looks like we lost a couple of shingles, and there are leaves and tree branches everywhere. Cops are out in force. I heard several of them heading down the freeway. There was one going house to house in our neighborhood making sure everyone was ok.

freshkazuki wrote:
I think that the comments about people fleeing the storm being "idiots" and suffering from "hysteria" by Monica Rial are insulting and uncalled for.

I have to agree. I really liked Monica, but that's just over the top. I wonder what she would have said if it did hit us head on, and they hadn't had people evac. We were in the main danger zone up until a few hours before the storm hit, so that's just crazy on her part.
coolGAL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:01 am Reply with quote
I hope nothing big will hit that part Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Toboe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I would be at AWA if it wasn't for all of these idiots listening to the TV hype and falling into hysteria.

Heaven forfend Monica Rial misses her 9 millionth convention appearance this year because of people running for thier lives from a dangeous hurricane.

If she had any sense - and after this doozy I'm not sure she does - she'd post a public apology.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Toboe wrote:

Heaven forfend Monica Rial misses her 9 millionth convention appearance this year because of people running for thier lives from a dangeous hurricane.

What pisses me off is that she was bitching about people leaving, yet she didn't plan on being here herself...
Andromeda

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:17 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
I guess some people are smarter than others, or they don't watch TV. I knew exactly what the title meant, that ADV closed their offices so they could evacuate from Rita

Me too. Confused Especially since RIGHT underneath the headline, it reads:

Quote:
Closed Today and Tomorrow

Bolding mine. You'd think a person would read what's immediately under a headline before making a snap judgement... the headline was not misleading, people just didn't pay attention to the to information right under it. Makes me suspicious about whether GWB is into anime and posting on here! Laughing

Anyway, I hope things turn out OK for the people over there. It sounds like they came out all right. From what I've heard, the people are at least being civil, so I don't think we'll get a repeat of the insanity that followed Katrina in New Orleans. Thank goodness. *is glad to finally hear some stories of people being nice to each other and pulling together in the face of a disaster*

And man... what is Monica Rial ON? *eyebrow goes waaaay up*

-Andromeda
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:46 pm Reply with quote
The latest is that the mass exodus is reversing. The problem is, there is still little gas or food on the routes back, or even in town. They are begging people to stay away for now, so we don't have a repeat of everyone being stuck in traffic and stalling on the way in. They just had a news report of one gas station that is open. The line is currently at 2 miles to get into the station. HPD is directing the line to make sure there are no problems. FEMA, TXDot, and military relief is stuck in traffic inbound to the city. FEMA is staging at Reliant Center, getting ready to head out to East Texas and Louisiana. They are going to open the flood gates on Lake Livingston, so people along the Trinity River are evacuating now.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Toboe wrote:
Quote:

I would be at AWA if it wasn't for all of these idiots listening to the TV hype and falling into hysteria.

If she had any sense - and after this doozy I'm not sure she does - she'd post a public apology.

Agreed, what a total witch. I'd expect an apology. Especially for someone who really isn't even a very good voice actor...

The general consensus seems to show that this hurricane wasn't as devastating as Katrina and not too many people were hurt. I'm glad. :)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:26 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
Shorty22 wrote:
Well Rita broke/topped the weakened levees in some parts of New Orleans, so those parts that had been dried out are now getting reflooded.

The Ninth Ward in New Orleans, one of the hardest hit areas when Katrina blew through, is the area where the major levee breech is occuring. They don't expect this round of flooding to be as severe as the massive flooding that occured three weeks ago, however.

Unfortunately, what I posted a couple of days ago came true - the eye of Rita did hit between Beaumont and Lake Charles; more specifically, Sabine Pass on the TX/LA border. Houston and Galveston were spared a direct hit, but there are significant power outages thoroughout the area. (Did anyone see footage of that fire in the historic Strand Districin Galveston?) It looks like that ADV and our friends in Houston came out OK, but I don't expect to see ADV reopening on Monday as expected.

Starwind Amada wrote:
Except Luci Christian; she cancelled because she didn't want to leave her home and family during this time of crisis. Monica Rial and Chris Patton did the same.

You probably read this, Starwind, but for those that don't read or use the Anime on DVD forums, I would like to post what Monica Rial wrote in her Yahoo Club page about a horrible experience she had in relation to Hurricane Rita and why she's not in Atlanta this weekend:

In her Yahoo Club page (through the Anime on DVD forum), Monica Rial wrote:
I just wanted to let you all know that I chose to stay home. Greg and David and Mariela and Jessica and Vic all made it to Atlanta fine. Luci cancelled a couple of days ago... I actually went and this is why I cancelled:

I didn't get any sleep that night as I realized that we were going to have to leave at 7am to even attempt to make our 1pm flight. Greg and I took a shuttle and it took 4 hours to get to the airport. The lines at the airport were so long that we stood outside in the 100 degree weather for 3 more hours. Then we missed our flight so we were taken to a "missed your flight" line where we stood for another 2 hours. I hadn't eaten or slept. Everyone was being rude and pushy. There were people at the airport who were leaving the NEXT DAY who cause me to miss my flight. Well, we got on standby and I thought that at least I'd get to eat on the other side of the gate. We got through security and then EVERYTHING WAS CLOSED! The airport was completely full. It
just sent me over the edge. I walked up and asked to cancel my ticket. Then the lady at the counter said that we would get tickets. She printed it out for me and I just looked at it and cried. I called my mom to try and figure out what to do and she said "You do whatever YOU want to do. Don't let other people make decisions for you." And that's what I had been doing all day. So I went up to the gate and told the
lady that I was going home. I freaked out. I apologize to everyone I missed this weekend but I just couldn't do it.

I cannot tell you how ridiculous this all is! I would be at AWA if it wasn't for all of these idiots listening to the TV hype and falling into hysteria. I've lost so much respect for my city and it's citizens. 22 people have already died...EVACUATING! People are going to be stuck on the sides of the roads in the middle of this. Meanwhile, we're only going to have 8-12 inches of rain and maybe 75 mph winds. I know that may sound scary to some of you but understand that we deal with stuff like that all the time. It's no more than a big storm. Well, I'm heading to my mom's where she has cooked and has all kinds of supplies. I'm taking a bottle of wine and I'm going to relax...in the dark if need be. I'll get back to you guys as soon as I can.

Yeah, I saw that. I think you misunderstood me, though. When I said "Monica Rial and Chris Patton did the same," I meant that they stayed home just like her, but not for the same reason.

Haru to Ashura wrote:
Toboe wrote:
Quote:

Agreed, what a total witch. I'd expect an apology. Especially for someone who really isn't even a very good voice actor...

You don't even like her, yet you want her to apologize because she cancelled her 9,000,000th con appearance because she cares about her home? WTF? If you don't like her, why do you even care?

Total witch. Yeah, sure. Rolling Eyes
tlsmith1963

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Something I am just wondering about. It's no big deal, but...my Anime Network VOD hasn't been updated with new anime episodes for several days. Is this because my cable company gets the eps. directly from ADV, & they are closed? I don't know how the VOD thing works.

Tammy
Toboe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:

You don't even like her, yet you want her to apologize because she cancelled her 9,000,000th con appearance because she cares about her home? WTF? If you don't like her, why do you even care?

Total witch. Yeah, sure. Rolling Eyes

No, she was responding to my point that Rial's post - which indicated that the people fleeing from Hurricane Rita are all a bunch of hysterical morons who blindly follow cable news - should be followed by a public apology simply for being so unbelievably crass.

I mean, the tone of that rant she posted was "How DARE these people running for their lives from this dangerous hurricane stop me from making a convention appearance this weekend!"... personally I find the implication more insulting than the more direct insults she had in that post, but either way I think an apology would be prudent.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:

Where in her comments does she say anything about cancelling her appearance because she cares for her home? She missed her flight, and blames everyone trying to get away.. and then says she's lost respect for the people of this city because they were trying to get away from something that was forecast to basically come in here and devastate everything until only several hours before it hit. The mayor and couny judge where in no uncertain terms telling everyone that, if they had the means to get out, to get the hell out. The people did what they were told.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Toboe wrote:
Starwind Amada wrote:

Total witch. Yeah, sure. :roll:

No, she was responding to my point that Rial's post - which indicated that the people fleeing from Hurricane Rita are all a bunch of hysterical morons who blindly follow cable news - should be followed by a public apology simply for being so unbelievably crass.

I mean, the tone of that rant she posted was "How DARE these people running for their lives from this dangerous hurricane stop me from making a convention appearance this weekend!"... personally I find the implication more insulting than the more direct insults she had in that post, but either way I think an apology would be prudent.

Yes, thank you. Starwind, please read more thoroughly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6