• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Microsoft Runs Down Xbox One's Connectivity, Licensing, Privacy Features

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:27 am Reply with quote
*sigh* Microsoft is turning into Apple control freak. And it may yet work. Sadly things seems to be going this way. Blu-ray got the support of big players for its content protection. Doubtless whatever next media system will get support if it has even more protection. People keep buying.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:52 am Reply with quote
Kerberous wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:

Sony will continue to do what it does and do it well.

Only problem is that Sony never understood the business to begin with. They had nothing to do with the game that sold the PS1(FF7) and the PS2 was luck. The fact that the competition wasn't doing that well didn't hurt either.

Actually, I would think they did since Sony actually published FFVII themselves for Square. It's also I'm guessing why they were the ones who handled publishing the eventual FFVII: Advent Children too, here in the US. I think Sony had some heavy involvement in FFVII despite the PC version existing way later.

Ggultra2764 wrote:
These "features" look set to alienate and tick off certain parts of the X-Box video gaming base and seem quite short-sighted on Microsoft's part. It would cripple use of the used game and rental markets to acquire games depending on whatever restrictions Microsoft and game publishers set. The "daily mandatory connection" would be an issue for those don't frequently make use of Internet connections for their gaming consoles or have slow Internet connections. If MS is planning to run the X-Box One like this when it is released, then I can see them losing quite a bit of their customers because of how draconian their policies are.

Isn't it something like 30+ million 360s haven't even been online too? Even more people they're alienating.

The mandatory check-in is also an issue for gamers who continue playing some of their favorite games many years later IMO, since it's totally out of your control.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:18 am Reply with quote
sonryu wrote:
Use of the Xbox One seems awfully complicated; there are a lot of if/then requirements. Remember when you just had to plug in a cartridge to play, and you could bring it to your friends house too? Shame we'll never get back to those days lol

Lol I agree, when did playing a game become so complicated... For that reason I'm out of this gen of consoles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:25 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Xbone is the worst console ever made. I don't know why they didn't just take out the disc drive and make the console digital only. It's complete BS.

Not that I was looking to buy one since I'm a PlayStation Guy and can't stand Microsoft's pay-gated services. But this is a whole new level of stupidity that I'm afraid that Microsoft is trying to force a paradigm shift in gaming.

Here's hoping Sony and Nintendo never follow MS's lead and Xbone crashes and burns and takes shitty big publishers like EA and Activision with them.

Why buy a console with the worst practices of DRM in a closed box when I can simply have a more open platform on the PC? There's no exclusive that Microsoft can show off that will make up for this anti-consumer behavior.

We obviously do not own the rights to the IP and content itself on the disc, DUH! But we sure as hell paid for the physical medium it's stored on and the right to access & play it on the device its made for and have every right to resell that! We are NOT reselling their IP and content which is ludicrous! We are reselling the physical disc we paid for along with the right to access the content stored on the disc as it was meant for.

And Microsoft is a willing shill for NSA spying as well! They've been caught with their pants down along with the Obama Administration and IRS for all the stupid inevitable repercussions of the Republican led Patriot Act, and now want to force Big Brother into your living room with Kinect. Yeah, like we trust Microsoft of all companies to look after our best interests. These are the same people who faked their entire UI presentation at the Xbone reveal. If your OS wasn't working as well as they hoped why didn't they just release a concept video instead of pretending on stage to show how 'fast' it was? This is the same company who denied the RROD fiasco until they could no longer and knowingly released the box onto the market place with those problems! This is the same company that charges you twice to access online gaming and Netflix, Hulu and Internet Explorer! Like hell you'll see any benefit in digital prices from them! There is no reason to buy this monstrosity unless you really really need to play the next Halo that much!

And if you really do, because you're a fan of Microsoft's IP, the best thing you ought to do is boycott Xbone so that it tanks and Microsoft finally relents and patches this insanity out of their box, and then buy it afterwards. Otherwise look forward to the restrictive nature of the world of digital only gaming without any of the benefits its advocates hope for. Grow a pair and stand up for yourselves. Don't prove Microsoft right for thinking you'll line up and buy anything they put out because they know a % of you are suckers. Because I guarantee you that if this is successful for Microsoft, you can bet the same practices will be carried over to all consoles and even inevitably to movies as well! After all, the consumers will have spoken, and said, "We don't care, we'll buy anything!" Good luck looking for or reselling rare anime DVD and Blu-Ray sets or Japanese games in the future if this is the case.

Pretty much my thoughts.

And the anti-used DRM pretty much doubles how quickly it probably dies in Japan due to the reported importance of used games over there, as if it had any chance there anyway, so the Japanese titles should all end up on Sony and Nintendo's systems.

Also, if this is this crazy and confusing for us, I can only imagine what it's going to be like after launch and some others get it home, not to mention parents, wondering why this and that doesn't work for there kids before returning it. It's amazing (greed) that even after multiple outcry incidents Microsoft is still deaf to it.
victor viper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:58 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
One other limitation not mentioned in this article is that individuals CANNOT resell or trade games. You can probably already tell from the list of conditions, but to be clear, you cannot sell used games yourself. It wouldn't work anyways since you need Microsoft's and the game publisher's permission to change its registration of who owns the game. Well, it's really who is the game licensed to.

Also not mentioned here is while the Kinect camera can be turned off (presumably only while the system is off), the Kinect must still be connected to the system to function:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-will-not-function-without-kinect-attached

Therefore, you cannot physically prevent it from gathering data. It is only one hack or one government request away from having your privacy violated.

That's the thing that really chaps me. No one will own a game now, you're just licensing the game. And before anyone points out how that's how it's been ever since the concept of the EULA came into existence, I wonder if this model is not one major network breakdown (a la the PSN fiasco of a couple years back) from no one owning any games. This time, rather than just being inconvenienced, when the box can't connect to the network for more than 24 hours, it won't let you play any of your games either. Buy one headache, get one free!

Given how Microsoft has basically done the government's bidding when it come to data collection and snooping, I can not fathom how anyone in their right mind would turn around and say "gee, let me put a camera and microphone that are constantly gathering data in my living room, but it's okay because they told me they won't share any of that data without my permission". Rolling Eyes

The other concern I'd have is that as the Xbox's operating system converges closer and closer to the Windows kernel, there are going to be the corresponding security issues encountered by everyone who has a PC running windows.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:46 am Reply with quote
My internet connection sucks because of where I live. Everyone around me, consequently, has the same problem. So I guess the XBox One is going to be out of the question for the people in this town. And two of the people I know around here are STILL excited for the system (probably because they don't have a stable enough internet connection to care about the internet or the news being shared over it about the console).

I never planned on buying it, but my own situation just proves how alienating this concept is. I can see this bombing fast in Japan, too, considering how expensive internet connection is in most of the country...
Kreion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:02 pm Reply with quote
victor viper wrote:
configspace wrote:
One other limitation not mentioned in this article is that individuals CANNOT resell or trade games. You can probably already tell from the list of conditions, but to be clear, you cannot sell used games yourself. It wouldn't work anyways since you need Microsoft's and the game publisher's permission to change its registration of who owns the game. Well, it's really who is the game licensed to.

Also not mentioned here is while the Kinect camera can be turned off (presumably only while the system is off), the Kinect must still be connected to the system to function:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-will-not-function-without-kinect-attached

Therefore, you cannot physically prevent it from gathering data. It is only one hack or one government request away from having your privacy violated.

That's the thing that really chaps me. No one will own a game now, you're just licensing the game. And before anyone points out how that's how it's been ever since the concept of the EULA came into existence, I wonder if this model is not one major network breakdown (a la the PSN fiasco of a couple years back) from no one owning any games. This time, rather than just being inconvenienced, when the box can't connect to the network for more than 24 hours, it won't let you play any of your games either. Buy one headache, get one free!

Given how Microsoft has basically done the government's bidding when it come to data collection and snooping, I can not fathom how anyone in their right mind would turn around and say "gee, let me put a camera and microphone that are constantly gathering data in my living room, but it's okay because they told me they won't share any of that data without my permission". Rolling Eyes

The other concern I'd have is that as the Xbox's operating system converges closer and closer to the Windows kernel, there are going to be the corresponding security issues encountered by everyone who has a PC running windows.

Steam has effectively stopped people 'owning' games on PC ever since it became big. If the network were to explode, allll my Steamgames would go up with it. Yet I still buy games on Steam because it's a convenient service.

Likewise, if the X1 is convenient I will use it. Why? Because at that end of the day if it has good games and has some cool features I'm quite happy to put up with stuff that, quite frankly doesn't affect me. I haven't sold a used game in years and I'm very rarely in a situation when my internet is down. And when it is I didn't play on my 360 anyway because I didn't like being signed out.

As for privacy...you haven't had any since the internet. Have fun never using it again if you are really that worried about the 'government' giving a shit what you are doing. If it damaging to them they don't care, why would they?

Good games = a sale for me. Simply because I have yet to see an issue with the console that affects me directly. Of course if it launches with a bunch of rubbish titles I won't pick one up, but then again I likely won't get a ps4 either. I prefer a larger controller, but that's neither here nor there.

As for the PS4, I have to ask what the hell you know about it? Aside from a few tidbits Sony have been quiet on their actual software, yet you assume they are the white knights of console gaming?

They are a company. They want your money, and nothing else. Just like every other company out there(obviously, Microsoft included.), please accept that.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:
Steam has effectively stopped people 'owning' games on PC ever since it became big. If the network were to explode, allll my Steamgames would go up with it. Yet I still buy games on Steam because it's a convenient service.

If the network were to explode then why would you not simply run Steam in offline mode? Your post makes me think you don't even use Steam or know much about it.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

This is a bold-faced lie. You can run Steam offline, something I did frequently to play Super Meat Boy at my school on my laptop. You don't even need to turn Steam on if you turn on the games from your Steam folder.

Please do not spread abject lies like this again.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
For single-player games via Steam, you only need to be online once, and that's it. Unless the game itself is requires some sort of internet connectivity (which Valve has nothing to do with), no further online presence is required.

The XBone, OTOH, *must* connect to the Internet at least once per day, regardless of what the games themselves may require. At least, that's what I understand based on what Microsoft has recently said about it.

Also, Steam is merely a program on your computer. It isn't your entire OS. Furthermore, you can add games to Steam even if you didn't buy them through Steam. Plus, Steam allows mods to be added to games.

Any attempt to make the Steam as bad as the XBone, or, rather, make the XBone seem to be as good at Steam is doomed to failure in the face of anyone who is actually informed about what both limit and allow.

As for XBone vs. PS4: we still must wait for that as we don't know much about the PS4 yet. If Sony has any brains at all, they'll capitalize on MS's fumbles. If they do, they're sure to pick up a sizeable chunk of gamers. But it's hard to say as Sony hasn't been very adroit lately: they could easily blow it as badly as Microsoft just did. We'll see soon enough what Sony has got with the PS4.

Oh, yeah. I almost forgot. Nintendo. Actually, I didn't forget, they just aren't a factor anymore. The Wii U hasn't changed that at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3