• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Watching Princess Tutu.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiniest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching Princess Tutu recently, and, as many have said, it gets very good as the story goes along. From what I've scene, it's not bad, as I'm on episode 9. I do enjoy the consistent allusions to classical pieces that the show presents, but when taking a look at the actual story, I'm not quite sure I'm hooked. There are certainly some interesting things going on in the story, but when exactly does this show take off and become the show that everyone appreciates as a masterpiece?

I'm not expecting Madoka. I'm not comparing it to Madoka. I don't think Madoka is a masterpiece, so you don't have to worry my taste or whatnot.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
For me it was a second half- the first one is building the castle that will be set on fire, like in Lady Oscar.
But if I were you I would not watch it, unless I get rid of "I'm watching a masterpiece" mindset, because no matter what you will see, that just won't meet your expectations. Trust me, I had Sprited Away ruined for long years that way.
Kiniest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't really expect a masterpiece, so it's not so much the mindset as it is my curiosity to when it gets good.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm at exactly the same place (end of disc 2 Razz )

I agree with the story at this point - I am enjoying it but I was expecting a little more. I can see how this might get to a great status, it has potential (and by the sounds of things it gets there).

I'm enjoying PT mainly for its character development and you can see each character grow every episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kiniest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Yeah. It's improved a lot from the first episode, certainly. My problem is, my mind always gets directly in the way when I'm watching any anime at all, and it gets harder to enjoy a show because of that. So, on that level, Tutu's doing fine. It's doing a good job, at the very least, at allowing the suspension of disbelief factor to play in due to its distinction as a fairy tale setting.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:31 pm Reply with quote
It's like, I want to comment, but I shouldn't, it just gets progressively better and things go down in the second half big time. You can trust that the status quo of the first 9 eps will change, but part of the fun is discovering it for yourself. This series doesn't really have a magic episode number for me, it simply gets progressively better then has this awesome first half finale. Then the second half also gets better as it goes on.

Best I can say is, if you're enjoying it as is, just keep going, no one else around here seems to regret it!
Kiniest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Right, fair enough. I'll look forward to it.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote
It's kinda funny to see some of your complaints/questions and know that you'll get an answer if you continue with the series. I remember the first time I watched this series, I subconsciously made this whole check list of tropes I expected to play, only to end up getting a lot of them subverted or just not make a showing after all.
Kiniest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote
It is funny, isn't it? Considering I'm ironically on the other side of the question when it's a show I've watched/loved. But I'm just a bit antsy this time. Dunno why.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Kiniest wrote:
I've been watching Princess Tutu recently, and, as many have said, it gets very good as the story goes along. From what I've scene, it's not bad, as I'm on episode 9.

Interesting outlook as that's still part of the "magical girl seeks heart items" end of the "Magical Girl" story.

This is just my own take but in every one of these "quest stories" where you have to find dragon balls or jewel shards or pokemon, have you the viewer have ever gotten got the point where you ask "then what happens when you get all of them?". Princess Tutu is amazing because it not only asks that question {and in the process undoing every long running manga based on the idea on quests for something indefinite just for the sake of not getting cancelled} but it then...

But that would be telling, wouldn't it?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Second half yo.

You will get there and I doubt you will be disappoint.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the second half is definitely where the show goes from being a solid and very entertaining magical girl show to being something that's really special.
EricJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
The second half is "Like, really weird and DIFFERENT!", if you're an early fan who's into bragging about those things to prove a point about favorite shows, but, well....it's not as fun as the first half.
It's Really Bold, 'N Stuff, but the fairytale appeal of the show lags behind.

After the Season 1 finale Happy Ending in Ep. 13, we now have to un-Happy everything, so the Prince spoiler[now becomes possessed into becoming a major jerk], and less deserving of our sympathy though Duck's eyes. Edel (who up to now was part of the whole "Village of Ballet Characters" image of the series) having been spoiler[killed off in the finale], is now replaced with a cute comedy-relief tot, who just reeks of Good Chibi-Usa from Sailor Moon SuperS.
And yes, we get the whole artsy-meta-philosophical truth about Drosselmeier, so the new plot has to be "darker" to "deconstruct" everything that happened in the first half of the story. Yay.

Even the network reduced Season 2 to just a fifteen-minute airing on the bottom-bill of another show, so some may have sensed it wasn't quite the same.
Season 2 suffers from Eva Fan Syndrome, where there seem to be a lot more fans talking about it for the sake of talking about it than, y'know, enjoying it.

(...But the first half's still Sato-cute. Very Happy )
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:24 am Reply with quote
It all depends on what you consider to be "fun." Yes, the second half isn't as light-hearted as the first but that's why I find it to be more entertaining because I enjoy a story that actually provokes thought. I'm definitely not saying that first half is bad but I would not love the show as much as I do if it hadn't had the shift to un-happy everything.

Also, the second half has less Pique and Lillie, who are terrible characters whose presence negatively impacts every scene they are in.

I do agree about your Edel comment completely. She is awesome and spoiler[her replacement was not that good ... but still not even close to as bad as Pique and Lillie].
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:28 am Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:

Season 2 suffers from Eva Fan Syndrome, where there seem to be a lot more fans talking about it for the sake of talking about it than, y'know, enjoying it.

Eh? I haven't noticed anything like that. I don't think Princess Tutu is deep. It's not Angel's Egg. I enjoy it for being a fantastic magical girl story skillfully mixed with western fairy tales that has a marvelous plot and character development which are tightly interweaved.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3