• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wandering Son's Unedited Episodes 10/11 Put on BD/DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:
So it's a blatant bait and switch is what you're saying?

No, the studio had announced back in February that there would be 12 episodes.

Hmmm. I recall the show being on a week break back in February. Does this have anything to do with the show having the compilation of two episodes for this week?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Hmmm. I recall the show being on a week break back in February. Does this have anything to do with the show having the compilation of two episodes for this week?

I think we should wait for the fuller explanation later. The studio is pretty busy trying to finish this anime on a tight television schedule, and that was before the earthquake, the power blackouts, the supply shortages, and everything else since then.
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:
So it's a blatant bait and switch is what you're saying?

No, the studio had announced back in February that there would be 12 episodes.

No. The Noitamina block traditionally has 11 episodes. (See Kuragehime (Princess Jellyfish), Eden of the East, Shiki (x2), and Fractale for examples.) The break was planned. This compilation episode allows them to put 2 episodes per BluRay and have additional content to lure people who are on the fence about purchasing the show into pushing the "Add to Cart" button. Basically, they told the story in a condensed form for TV, but will expand on it for the bluray/DVD release. Not a bad marketing idea. I know I will be buying it when it is available in the US. I love this show! I haven't decided where it goes in my "Top anime" list yet, but it is creeping up there every week. Last weeks episode was so powerful! I can't wait to watch this week. (Unfortunately I have a couple of hours to wait still... Looking forward to Fractale too... The Noitamina people really hit it on the head this season!)
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Today's episode was titled 10: Better Half at the bumper and the preview at the end of this episode called the next episode 11 instead of 12. Since the studio does the title and credit translations on the episode itself was that a typo by them or are there two more episodes coming?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
jmaeshawn wrote:
To me, it sounds like the studio did this intentionally. Using the earthquake delays to their advantage, they edit the episodes together (even though there is still an open time slot), simply to make people buy more BDs/DVDs.

Only greedy studios would think to use a disaster like this to earn a bigger profit. Sad.

The studio had planned for — and announced — 12 episodes with only 11 television slots since before the earthquake. The earthquake didn't changed that.

Some had mistakenly jumped to the conclusion that there would be one Blu-ray/DVD-exclusive episode, but the official website never said this, before or now.

Maybe so, but they could have aired unedited versions of 10 and 11 back to back, like what happened with Kimi ni Todoke S2.

Instead, they edited two episodes together, essentially making fans have to buy three episodes instead of just 1 bonus episode.

If they really weren't doing this just to make a bigger profit, they would have put episodes 10, 11, and 12 on one disc instead of splitting them up between volumes 5 and 6 and making fans have to buy two separate volumes to see the rest of the series.

We know that a 2 hour movie can fit on one disc, so why do they only put two 25-minute episodes on one?
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Noitamina block traditionally has 11 episodes. (See Kuragehime (Princess Jellyfish), Eden of the East, Shiki (x2), and Fractale for examples.)

Not always. Paradise Kiss, Mononoke, Honey and Clover (both seasons), Antique Bakery and House of Five Leaves have all had 12 episode seasons with Honey and Clover's first season having two 12 episode seasons for its airing.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We know that a 2 hour movie can fit on one disc, so why do they only put two 25-minute episodes on one?

"Greed is good, and now it's legal"

Last edited by mangamuscle on Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:

Because most anime in Japan is sold to dedicated collectors at a premium prices, to make back production costs. We get cheaper dvd's as we're a secondary market, and revenue that comes around after they've already completed the dvd release in Japan in most cases.

back in the hey days of OVA's of the 80's/early 90's, it wasn't unheard of for there to be $100 dollar laserdiscs or vhs tapes of 1 OVA episode. Even now, there's still the occasional dvd in Japan in that price range. Gotta pay those animators/voiceactors/storyartsits/designers/production partners somehow.

If it gets a dvd license here, it's likely we'll get the entire show for around $50 though.

Last edited by Paploo on Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:38 pm Reply with quote
We're the opposite of Japan. Japan has dirt-cheap manga and expensive Anime, and we have dirt-cheap Anime and expensive manga.

I know it's subjective, but our Anime is dirt-cheap compared to Japan. They pay 70 dollars for two episodes, and we pay 30 dollars for an entire season.
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Quote:
The Noitamina block traditionally has 11 episodes. (See Kuragehime (Princess Jellyfish), Eden of the East, Shiki (x2), and Fractale for examples.)

Not always. Paradise Kiss, Mononoke, Honey and Clover (both seasons), Antique Bakery and House of Five Leaves have all had 12 episode seasons with Honey and Clover's first season having two 12 episode seasons for its airing.

OK, let me correct that. The RECENT Noitamina block traditionally has 11 episodes... Smile

My best guess for the reasoning for this, from the studio's perspective, is that they planned on a 12 episode season to begin with, then signed on to the Noitamina block for broadcasting. Noitamina then said, "Dude! We only have 11 episodes! You need to do something to fit into the broadcast schedule! You want to do an OVA for one of them, or what?" They responded, "Crap! We can't really tell the story with any of the episodes left as an OVA. None of it is side-story, it is all main plot... Hmmmm, How about this: We take two of the episodes, and combine them cutting them to the bare essentials to tell the story, then we put the full episodes on the DVD/BluRay release? Hey! That might even boost sales!"

Of course, this would have been in Japanese, with much more formality and less American style flippancy... Rolling Eyes
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:37 pm Reply with quote
So the last 2eps with be edited well that sucks
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:44 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Quote:

"Greed is good, and now it's legal"

Because we all know that as long as you work in the anime industry you'll be driving a Ferrari to work. Money never sleeps, does it? Laughing

Last edited by egoist on Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, with the sales that Noitamina shows have been getting lately (particularly for Kuragehime and Shiki which were two well-done shows), I can't blame them for this. Though Kuragehime and Shiki also have DVD/BD exclusive episodes, so this isn't a new thing. In fact, the studio was nice enough to say "We have to tell the whole story with the TV airing", unlike say, Eden of the East, which forced ya to watch a movie if you wanted any sort of conclusive end.

But yeah, Kuragehime and Shiki sold maybe 400 or so copies per volume. That's just... unsustainable. I fear we may lose Noitamina if those trends continue, which would just be awful as Noitamina is kind of like the pillar for well-done creative anime at the moment.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Does anyone else feel rather ticked off about this? :x

I'm slightly disappointed, rather than "ticked off". It's just a variation of having additional scenes or improved animation on the home video release of a number of other series. Is this the first time that a Noitamina show has done anything like this? (edit: No, not really, it seems) Perhaps CR will gain access to the unedited episodes when the DVDs/BDs are released in Japan, as they have for Durarara!!, Sora no Woto, and ... (any others?).

Last edited by Ingraman on Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rime of the Ancient Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The story revolves around two fifth graders:

That is true for the manga; the anime opens with their first day of Middle School (i.e. seventh graders).

Personally, I see no problem with it; likely they knew based on the performance of Aoi Hanna (Sweet Blue Flowers) in BR/DVD sales that
1) there will be no second season, and
2) as wonderful, artful and thought-provoking as the series is, it will still take incentive to get the Japanese fans to buy.

If a merged 10/11--that still makes sense--and a 12 for the Home-viewer market allow them to come to a respectable ending point (the manga is ongoing) I'd almost beg them to do that, rather than saddle the show with one of the stumbling endings that I've seen maim other shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3