• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Project X Zone Videos Showcase Dante & Demitri, T-Elos & Kos-Mos

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sainta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote
What? No English actors? I wanted to hear Reuben Langdon as Dante again. He fits the character whether he is a teen or an adult.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I was kinda hoping they'd get a Bruce Willis soundalike for "Bruno" or as everyone else will call him, John McClane. Alas, looks like sub only.
terminus24

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:42 am Reply with quote
Project X Zone was announced to be Sub-Only ages ago. While I'm not a fan of sub-only games, I've played the demo and enjoyed the gameplay, which is, in the end, good enough for me. Glad I preordered it (the game sold out on Amazon).

Anyways, the reason I first got into this was Kos-Mos and T-Elos, then I looked into it and found out I knew/knew about all the characters in the game, so I'm pretty excited for this.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:23 am Reply with quote
I'd actually be curious to hear the Japanese seiyuu for Kos-Mos. Does she yell out things like "R-CANNON!!!" during the Japanese gameplay?

Sony's policy to require dubbing for the PlayStation has always annoyed me. How much could it cost to include both sound tracks and English subtitles when the Japanese version exists already?
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:30 am Reply with quote
Uh, their policy doesn't disallow subs, so I don't see any reason to mention it in this context.

I never got past the first episode of Xenosaga, so I dunno what's going on in that preview video, but I'm getting a very Queen's Gate Spiral Chaos vibe...not neccessarily a bad thing, but like, a little excessive.
Kilvoctu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:40 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Sony's policy to require dubbing for the PlayStation has always annoyed me. How much could it cost to include both sound tracks and English subtitles when the Japanese version exists already?
Link to where this was stated, because there are plenty of PlayStation games with no dubbing, such as Yakuza 3 and Warrior Orochi 3.

Also, costs are not the primary issue most of the time, disk space is.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Those Dante sprites are adorable.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I hear Mariko Suzuki (Nouhime in Samurai Warriors) as Kos-Mos!
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Kilvoctu wrote:
there are plenty of PlayStation games with no dubbing, such as Yakuza 3 and Warrior Orochi 3.

Also, costs are not the primary issue most of the time, disk space is.

Warriors Orochi 3 was DL-only, as was One Piece Pirate Warriors, Fist of the North Star Ken's Rage 2, Arcana Heart 3, Record of Agarest War 1, & a few other PS3 games that didn't have English audio. The Yakuza Series is more of an exception than anything, and one could argue that the other Agarest War games only got disc releases because enough complaints were made.

Even if it's never explicitly stated SCEA definitely has a preference for disc releases to feature English audio; if you won't dub it then you're stuck with digital download-only. Obviously, there are exceptions to the rule, but arguing that those exceptions prove your point isn't really proving anything.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Even if it's never explicitly stated SCEA definitely has a preference for disc releases to feature English audio; if you won't dub it then you're stuck with digital download-only. Obviously, there are exceptions to the rule, but arguing that those exceptions prove your point isn't really proving anything.

I have a lot of mainstream PS2 games like FF X, X-2, XII, Xenosaga, Shadow Hearts, Kingdom Hearts, Okami, etc. None of them has a japanese soundtrack. There were no downloadable games for the PS2, of course.

As for the space issue, I doubt that was a problem even in the PS2 era. Look at how much stuff Square-Enix managed to pack into one DVD for Final Fantasy XII. Two-disc games like Shadow Hearts: Covenant or Star Ocean III certainly had enough space to include a Japanese soundtrack.

I wasn't objecting to SCEA's having a preference for English dubbing on games sold in English-speaking markets. That makes good sense, but SCEA seems to believe that no one playing a Japanese game would ever want to hear the Japanese seiyuu. That's a questionable assumption given how many anime viewers watch subs and play JRPGs. What's wrong with choice? American anime licensors generally don't force me to listen to the dub track on their DVDs if I don't want to. (Some of the shenanigans with Blu-ray releases are a recent phenomenon resulting from the US and JP both being in BR Region A.)
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Possibly because on the Japanese side, those games weren't programmed with the idea of dual audio.

So that would require the game to have more programming done, which would require, more time, more money, or could lead to further unneeded complications with the code.

It would also require them to find someone do it such as an outsourced team, a small internal team, or the original team which would most likely moved unto something else.

I imagine that's why those games didn't have dual audio.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I've heard from few sources (Atlus, Tales producer Hideo Baba), but if you want Japanese audio in a video game you pretty much need to get written consent from every original voice actor in the game.

I've also from a rep from XSEED, who expanded on this by saying that voice acting contracts for video games in Japan are "extremely draconian". Apparently, some agencies have clauses in their actors contracts saying that their voices cannot be used in an international version of a game.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
PS2 games aren't really a valid example. Disgaea was dual audio, but it also looked like a PS1 game, so that probably had something to do with it. The FF games probably take up a lot more disc space. In this era, whether or not a game gets dual audio is largely up to the publisher. (though DL title space limitation rules exist on XBLA)
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I wasn't objecting to SCEA's having a preference for English dubbing on games sold in English-speaking markets. That makes good sense, but SCEA seems to believe that no one playing a Japanese game would ever want to hear the Japanese seiyuu. That's a questionable assumption given how many anime viewers watch subs and play JRPGs. What's wrong with choice? American anime licensors generally don't force me to listen to the dub track on their DVDs if I don't want to. (Some of the shenanigans with Blu-ray releases are a recent phenomenon resulting from the US and JP both being in BR Region A.)

Nowhere did I say that SCEA wants English dub ONLY releases. All I said was that SCEA normally wants disc releases on their systems to feature English audio, regardless of whether or not there's any other audio included. I never indicated that SCEA didn't want Japanese audio on the games that get released on their system, but rather they usually want English audio on there more than anything, exceptions to the rule aside, of course.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1