• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Summer 2013 - The List

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the skinny

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Here's hoping the new Genshiken is a success and sparks more interest in the franchise/previous season's since I think it's a shame it's such a underrated series.
GTO Neko

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:56 pm Reply with quote
the skinny wrote:
Here's hoping the new Genshiken is a success and sparks more interest in the franchise/previous season's since I think it's a shame it's such a underrated series.

I feel that way too. Especially with the fact that we're still not sure about the last parts of the original manga getting any form of closure or not to be animated. That last past I honestly believe is integral for the overall story, so for it to be skipped is going to be disappointing.

Overall though, glad to see it's coming real soon, so can't wait to try and catch it when possible.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Man, kinda jonesing for the preview guide now that Gifu Dodo!! has aired. must... mock.... necks...and... frame... rate. I hope some reviews can get up before Anime Expo. A busy week for ANN staff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking about checking out the new Rozen Maiden even though I am not sure how much of the previous anime that I'll need to see (the previous anime are on my to-buy list although I'd love to see CR get it too).

As for the Girls with Airsoft Guns one, I'll check it out since one of the PVs paid tribute to Cowboy Bebop and it looks like fun.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote
That's a pretty damn long title - Stella Women's Academy, High School Division Class C3. I'm looking forward to it though...always ready for some cute girls with guns in action.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:18 am Reply with quote
Summer is usually pretty sketchy for me. Even so, I always find at least 5 shows worth watching. I have some carry-overs from the previous seasons too, and a back-log as well.

The shows that I have the most interest in would be Uchoten Kazoku, Free!, Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist, Silver Spoon, Gifu Dodo, and maybe that Servant and Service thing.

I've always been hit-or miss with magical girls, am bored with slice-of-life high school clubs, and have no interest in dolls. So I'll probably wait to see what Bamboo and other people say about those before I check them out
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:42 am Reply with quote
The summer season looks dry for me as well. I'm somewhat interested in Servant x Service, Silver Spoon, Dog & Scissors, Arise and Gifu Dodo, but I'll probably wait for initial impressions before jumping in to any of them.

yuna49 wrote:
It's not hard to see that the diversity of stories in contemporary anime is much, much narrower than it was even less than a decade ago. Adults are a distinct rarity in modern anime. So is "hard" science fiction. I understand changing tastes and the economics of anime production. I know why today's offerings are less diverse. I don't have to like it.

I agree with this sentiment. 'Mature' anime, in the sense of having casts of adult characters for an adult or all-age audience, are more of a rarity these days, or at least don't saturate the market to the same degree as they did in the 80's, 90's and through the early aughts. Part of it is probably the decline of the OVA format, while another part is the changing perception of the target audience for anime (which seems to have transformed from college-age adults and children to teenagers and hard-core otaku). I also agree that hard science fiction doesn't seem to be the flagship of the industry that it used to be back in the 80's. There was a post on The Anime Review some months ago that expressed a similar sentiment, and at least made me feel better that I wasn't alone in my experience of seeing the industry change these past few decades. My hope is that as the modern generation of fans grows older they'll continue to watch anime, and perhaps the medium will "age up" along with them. I'm at least glad there are a few series each year that catch my attention, and the fact that a series like AoT has managed to become a sensation (despite being relatively dry when it comes to fan pandering) gives me some hope for the industry and the fandom.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:47 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Part of it is probably the decline of the OVA format, while another part is the changing perception of the target audience for anime (which seems to have transformed from college-age adults and children to teenagers and hard-core otaku).

Kikaioh, that sentence literally makes no sense whatsoever.

Did you even watch Otaku no Video?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:03 am Reply with quote
It's as if otaku only came into existence in 2000.
You wouldn't have had the OVA boom without 80s otaku dropping serious money on expensive VHS tapes.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:04 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Really? What didn't make sense? I have watched Otaku no Video, though it's been maybe a decade since I last saw it, so some points on how it relates would be helpful. It's possible I may not have worded myself clearly too.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It's as if otaku only came into existence in 2000.
You wouldn't have had the OVA boom without 80s otaku dropping serious money on expensive VHS tapes.

Ah, well, if this is where the misunderstanding comes from, mea culpa. I didn't mean to suggest that otaku didn't exist in the 80's, or that they weren't an influential part of the industry back then. My general understanding is that anime was more broadly acceptable for young adults above the high school age back in the 80's, and wasn't necessarily meant just for otaku. VHS was a nifty new format back then, and there wasn't quite the same social stigma on college-age adults for renting and watching anime, a perception that seemed to change over the course of the 90's (this is my loose impression though, I could be mistaken).

Last edited by Kikaioh on Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:13 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Really? What didn't make sense? I have watched Otaku no Video, though it's been maybe a decade since I last saw it, so some points on how it relates would be helpful. It's possible I may not have worded myself clearly too.

The point is that it was made in 1991, was explicitly about 1980s Otaku culture, and with simply changing the visual references, could be released today and be just as on-point!

I mean come on, you say that the audience changed from "Children and College students" to "Teenagers and Hardcore Otaku". SERIOUSLY!? Do you really think that that is an actual thing that happened? Do you seriously think that the College Students buying crappy anime OVAs in the 80s and 90s weren't hardcore Otaku? Do you think there aren't tons of anime made explicitly for children, only a few of which (Precure) anyone in the west gives a damn about?

You've built up this enormous complex about how anime is so much worse now than it was back then, when there was an OVA made TWENTY TWO YEARS AGO that explicitly disproves your entire thesis!

Sure, you may not like the current flavor of the moment when it comes to anime, but goddamn, thats your own problem, not that of the industry.

Quote:
My general understanding is that anime was more broadly acceptable for young adults above the high school age back in the 80's

Your general understanding is wrong.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:16 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Laser Discs. VHS was priced for rental shops. LD was priced to own in Japan.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:15 am Reply with quote
@Fencdedude: You know, I think you're interpreting my post in the most negative light possible (which often seems to be the case between you and I). It's kind of unsettling how easily you burst with rage at a different point of view, and it's definitely not a healthy way to hold a discussion. If you think my understanding of the anime scene in the 80's is mistaken, just let me know what your impressions are. You don't have to make it personal, and get dramatic every time my perceptions don't align with yours.

When I mentioned children and college-age adults, I was actually referring to a quote from Hayao Miyazaki in a Newtype interview back in the 1980s. He was expressing his frustration with anime production at the time, feeling as though anime was mostly aimed at elementary school and college kids, but not much in between. You may be right in saying that many of those college-students were considered otaku back then --- it's just been my impression that there wasn't the same sort of social stigma in the 80's for being a college student watching anime as there is in the modern day (I don't think it was viewed quite so negatively until the otaku murders in 1989). I wasn't trying to say that anime isn't made for adults anymore, more that in recent years it's being made more specifically for a certain group of adults, i.e. the hardcore otaku. It's been my understanding that the bursting of the economic bubble in the late 80's over the course of the 90's drove anime studios to focus more on producing more profitable and less experimental works, which led them to target the otaku demographics more specifically than they had in the past.

I do believe that anime in the modern day, at least, has a higher saturation of shows with teenagers than in years past, which may be why I perceive the target audience as having additionally become more teen-centric in recent years. A year or so ago I went to the trouble of parsing out the number of shows with high school teens vs. adults from a random year in the 90's, and compared it to the saturation of shows in the current year (I think it may have been 2011 or 2012). The modern anime scene had about twice the saturation of shows with high school teenage protagonists as compared to the year I compared it to in the 90's, which in turn seemed to have more of a general balance between shows featuring children, teens and adults. I took it to mean that either modern studios are producing more shows that appeal to a teenage audience, or that modern anime fans have a preference for shows revolving around teenagers. That may be a more accurate point of view, and you could take that as an alternate impression to my previous statement if you still find it problematic.

Whether anime is worse or better now than it was in the past is a matter of perspective I think. It doesn't cater to my tastes as much as it used to, so it's not as good for me, but if it caters to your tastes and sensibilities then it's better for you. There are definitely anime being produced today that are better than anime made in decades past, but the scene and spirit of the era is different, and not as much to my liking.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:37 am Reply with quote
I've seen many arguments here about the 80's/90's versus today. I'll just observe that my original comment about the decline of adult characters was not comparing 2013 to 1986 or 1996, but 2006. Anime began to narrow around 2009-2010 in the wake of the recession. Production committees were less willing to experiment in a period of economic contraction and focused on marketing to their most reliable and most lucrative target market. There are some glimmers of recovery in the Japanese economy; maybe that will help provide the basis for a broadening of anime productions in the future.

The trajectory of productions for noitaminA is a good example of this process. Shows with adolescent protagonists began appearing with the Fractale/Wandering Son pairing in 2011 and have become a regular commodity on noitaminA since.

Last edited by yuna49 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:42 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I've seen many arguments here about the 80's/90's versus today. I'll just observe that my original comment about the decline of adult characters was not comparing 2013 to 1986 or 1996, but 2006. Anime began to narrow around 2009-2010 in the wake of the recession. Production committees were less willing to experiment in a period of economic contraction and focused on marketing to their most reliable and most lucrative target market. There are some glimmers of recovery in the Japanese economy; maybe that will help provide the basis for a broadening of anime productions in the future.

[citation needed]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10