• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Devil is a Part-Timer! Episodes 1-13 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Carl wrote:
It never satisfactorily explains the discrepancy between Maou's Ente Isla and Earth behavior

My rationalization of this phenomenon is that there's something in the ether, so to speak, on Earth, that slowly drives the Ente Islans to madness with prolonged exposure

My take was that Maou is not as "evil" as is implied. It's hinted at several times that he's the leader but is fairly "disconnected" from the details of what's going on at large. (sort of a: the leader sees the units as pieces on a chessboard and not as individual distinct people) It also becomes clear in the second half that spoiler[the "church" is not as clean and heroic as the "heroes" believe it to be in Ente Isla]. Just looking at Maou's powers even in Japan it seems like he COULD have caused much more destruction and death (even while "fleeing") if he had really wanted to.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:23 pm Reply with quote
This show was an absolute blast. The premise was utterly ridiculous--when it was first announced I thought it was the dumbest thing in existence, but it turned out to be really good. It was funny as hell (unlike 99% of most anime "comedies"), well written....and was filled with plenty of gratuitous homoerotic subtext, I won't deny.

So yeah, MaouxAshiya doujins when? Though I could certainly go for MaouxLucifer as well.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I've heard secondhand word that there is a second season confirmed for this, that at least two of the seiyuu for it have mentioned it on a Japanese site and that after the final ep on the TV broadcast in Japan there was a little blurb mentioning a second season, too. I've not found any solid links to confirm it myself (not to mention even if I found the pages where the seiyuu mentioned it an online translator may not translate it clearly enough anyway) but it does look like it is possible we're getting one.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
This is the kind of final episode I like, no overblown stack just for the sake of having a big "final episode" and then having to tie up everything in the last 2-3 minute.

Beside the show was never about big fight scene with big plot, it was about a simple concept (the devil and the hero in modern day), would have been pointless to extend the final fight in two episode and would have gone against what the show is.

easily the best show this season for me (haven't watched titan since I read it, but everything else that I watched couldn't hold a candle to it).
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
It was funny as hell

*snerk*

I still don't quite get this show, I guess. Got through about half of it before I stopped bothering to watch it.

The humor is very...American? Probably why it's popular around here. But it feels a lot like The Office, which I hate, whenever it tries to be funny. It's not quite that bad, and there was enough good stuff in between the awkward-situation comedy to keep me interested for a while, but....eh.

It's good that they realized having them integrate incredibly well would be funnier than playing out the fish-out-of-water thing; the trouble is that it still isn't all that funny. The serious parts were better, but kind of a hodgepodge of cliches. Overall, I thought it was decent, but nothing spectacular. Minority opinion, as usual.
sam18x

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I thought the reason why there was so much Ashiya/toilet humor was because spoiler[Bel put some kind of magic in the food she made for him to give him the runs]?

This was very fun to watch. It was interesting to watch this side-by-side with Attack on Titan and note the dramatically different ways one can put together two great shows.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:55 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Big Hed wrote:
Carl wrote:
It never satisfactorily explains the discrepancy between Maou's Ente Isla and Earth behavior

My rationalization of this phenomenon is that there's something in the ether, so to speak, on Earth, that slowly drives the Ente Islans to madness with prolonged exposure

My take was that Maou is not as "evil" as is implied. It's hinted at several times that he's the leader but is fairly "disconnected" from the details of what's going on at large. (sort of a: the leader sees the units as pieces on a chessboard and not as individual distinct people) It also becomes clear in the second half that spoiler[the "church" is not as clean and heroic as the "heroes" believe it to be in Ente Isla]. Just looking at Maou's powers even in Japan it seems like he COULD have caused much more destruction and death (even while "fleeing") if he had really wanted to.

Yeah, some of what I've heard about the later novels suggests this is right. But I'll keep my own theories going until (hopefully) we get another season.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:57 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
The humor is very...American? Probably why it's popular around here.
Then why's it popular in Japan, too? Frankly, there are lots of gags in there that wouldn't work in a non-Japanese setting and the ones that would are more universal gags than "American" ones, so I don't quite understand where you're coming from.
Herp n Derp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote
sam18x wrote:
I thought the reason why there was so much Ashiya/toilet humor was because spoiler[Bel put some kind of magic in the food she made for him to give him the runs]?

I think that's the case.
spoiler[One of the episodes had a scene with him & Lucifer trying to finish off a massive amount of udon because they were going to expire the next day. Luci even told him not to over eat. In ep 12, when Maou tells Suzuno they knew who she was all along, we see Luci getting food from the fridge, smelling it and comment that it reeks of sacred/holy power but food was food.
They were too poor to care that the food she gave them was tainted because FREE FOOD.]

markii_m

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:02 am Reply with quote
I agree, is one of the best of Spring 2013, and i really really want a season 2, and 3, and all they need to adapt the novels.

I didn't read the LN so i might be wrong (maybe they explain it in another volume) but i think that, someone already said this, that there is actually a change of setting, not a change of personality. The "Hero" has a strong moral code, but actually, if you follow a moral code without looking in front of you, to the real world, you will behave like a monster (like Crestia Bell or Sariel) or an idiot (like Yusa when she see Maou helping someone). The modern world setting of Japan gives Maou and Emilia the chance to prove the kind of people (or demon, or angel, well, you get it anyway) they really are. She was a very sad and angry girl missing her father that didn't have the chance to think outside what the chruch said to her (like what happen to Cristia Bell) and Maou always was someone who cares for the people that count on him. In Ente Isla that group was demons, but we never get to see why the demons were trying to conquer the world. Maybe they were a different kind of human (Maou said it in the first episode, that everyone evolves from humans or something like that) or a persecuted group that escape from the chruch and made some pact to gain powers. I dont know if the novels explain that in detail, but i think that the message, and is a very inspirational one, is that you should not be guided by the labels that someone else put to a person. The fact that your name is King Satan doesnt make you a bad person automaticly, and the hero sometimes is just a pawn of some corrupt.
Dellore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:33 am Reply with quote
Dimlos wrote:
kotomikun wrote:
The humor is very...American? Probably why it's popular around here.
Then why's it popular in Japan, too? Frankly, there are lots of gags in there that wouldn't work in a non-Japanese setting and the ones that would are more universal gags than "American" ones, so I don't quite understand where you're coming from.

Take his the Office example. I find similar in some ways too. More like a western type of humor, i guess.

It's probably one of few anime comedies (at least the first part) i have seen make a great sucess here. And i don't think the setting is really that important for the most gags. It's not like the japaneses don't get this type of humor, anyway.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Chiho was awesome in this show. I especially liked the ending for the first few episodes where they move along that still image of her in a bikini, whoever drew that put a lot of effort into it and brought out a different side to her you don't see in the show, but it's complimentary to her character.

I liked the show quite a bit. Mahou was a fun main character to fallow and his actions and reactions to situations were all well warranted, be it serious or comedic. The show was a blast because of him and I enjoyed Chiho's character. She as ditsy but competent where she needed to be.
trescaballeros

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
My take was that Maou is not as "evil" as is implied. It's hinted at several times that he's the leader but is fairly "disconnected" from the details of what's going on at large. (sort of a: the leader sees the units as pieces on a chessboard and not as individual distinct people)

Maou's critics actually take that as an evidence of how much of a disturbingly sociopathic war criminal he is(ergo, evil) and how it is a bad idea to have him as the hero of the story. Personally though, I though that this view just smarts of lack of perspective(he's a DEMON raised in an ancient culture survival of the fittest environment and they expect him to think and act like modern day Ameri....I mean humans?), but I don't know if any of you shares this view.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Fully agree with Carl's evaluation. It's easily in my top 5 for the year so far.

I am not sure about any "top 5" or "top 10", but this was fun show, and, being only half serious at best, it does not insult viewers' intelligence every two minutes, unlike some other serious shows.

Well earned "Very good" rating.
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:58 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
It was funny as hell

*snerk*

I still don't quite get this show, I guess. Got through about half of it before I stopped bothering to watch it.

The humor is very...American? Probably why it's popular around here. But it feels a lot like The Office, which I hate, whenever it tries to be funny. It's not quite that bad, and there was enough good stuff in between the awkward-situation comedy to keep me interested for a while, but....eh.

It's good that they realized having them integrate incredibly well would be funnier than playing out the fish-out-of-water thing; the trouble is that it still isn't all that funny. The serious parts were better, but kind of a hodgepodge of cliches. Overall, I thought it was decent, but nothing spectacular. Minority opinion, as usual.

kotomikun, you are maybe the only one saying that this anime is bad. All people in this Maou-sama review discussion forum said that Hataraku Maou-sama is great, including me of course. This anime is my favorite anime. Well you said you don't get this anime and stopped watching this anime halfway. This proved you maybe don't have a little bit sense of humor (1) or you are not a true otaku (2) or you don't have a brain (3).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3