• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2013 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:47 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

That doesn't change my whole statement of "It's Japan". Do we really know what it's like in there?

Chagen, you're a 17 year old American teenager. Please stop acting like an expert on Japan.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:49 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Its one thing to know that eggs come from chickens.

Its another to be graphically confronted with the fact that eggs come from chickens

"Eggs come from the butt" vs "eggs slide juicily out of the anus right in front of me and then I clean the anal residue off them by hand".
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:14 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

That doesn't change my whole statement of "It's Japan". Do we really know what it's like in there?

Chagen, you're a 17 year old American teenager. Please stop acting like an expert on Japan.

My specific point was that none of us were experts on Japan, you illiterate git.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:39 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
jymmy wrote:
There are those in English Literature?

Key will have to answer that as to whether essays and open ended questions have made their way into the mandated standardized testing now, which is all I was talking about. I think the SATs have been experimenting with that for awhile now.

In Indiana, at least, the state-mandated End-of-Course Assessment for 10th grade English (which is a graduation requirement) has both a full essay section and a handful of open-ended questions scattered amongst the MC on the Reading Comp section. It's actually a fairly rigorous test, though I also think that anyone who is functioning on grade level should be able to pass it if they take it seriously. State tests for lower grades are similar in construction, and in my experience this is a pretty common format nationwide these days. The SAT has an essay and some gridded Math questions but is otherwise all MC; its questions are generally more rigorous, however. The ACT is all MC except for an optional essay (which most students take because a lot - but not even close to all! - of colleges require it).

Given the hefty weight being assigned to test scores for both school and teacher evaluations these days, teachers have no choice but to "teach to the tests" as a first priority. And yes, this is what happens when policymakers largely ignore input from teachers (because the teacher's unions which represents teachers are, of course, the biggest obstructions to education reform today!) when setting education policy.

And yeah, I'd better stop on this matter now before I start ranting even farther off-topic. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:41 am Reply with quote
@Chagen46:

But we do have this little thing called the 'internet' which we can use to look up this other thing called 'facts'. Facts that disprove your generalisation about the Japanese media.

You realised you were in the wrong and tried to get out of it by saying that no-one can be right. Forcing a draw only works if the other side is willing to let you.

Do not and pretend to know stuff about something and then when challenged with the facts try and wriggle out of it by digging yourself deeper by saying that no-one can know anything about it. It just proves that you were full of BS from the start.

If this only happened occasionally then it would be okay. But you do it all the time.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:17 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Its one thing to know that eggs come from chickens.

Its another to be graphically confronted with the fact that eggs come from chickens

"Eggs come from the butt" vs "eggs slide juicily out of the anus right in front of me and then I clean the anal residue off them by hand".

It's like the people who swear off meat when they find out what goes down at the slaughterhouse.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:57 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Also the little sisters are the handheld systems. Which is why Vert doesn't have an imouto.

Ah, thank you. That makes much more sense. I may not have been thrilled with the show, but I kind of want to play the game now.

vent wrote:
Super late on this and got lost in the wave of other discussions but telling anyone to read Doubt?

c'mon.

I didn't say it was the best manga ever or anything - I just thought it did a similar concept better. Sorry if you hated it.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Ah, thank you. That makes much more sense. I may not have been thrilled with the show, but I kind of want to play the game now.

Don't play the first. It is BAAAAAAAAD. The later games improve on it but I hope you can handle lots of ecchi.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:21 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
And I take it you haven't seen the huge publicity that's been going around regarding eggs and their controversial source. At least in New Zealand, I would expect virtually every New Zealand-born person going to a college (especially an agricultural college, though we don't have any of those ourselves) to at least have heard about battery hen farming. If you own a television or read the newspaper, the media coverage has been almost inescapable. The free-range egg lobby and animal rights' groups have been nothing if not extremely vocal.

Given that I live in the U.S. and not New Zealand, no I haven't. Certainly if there were any similar ongoing overwhelming publicity here, I've managed to avoid it, which is evidence enough the same could easily be true for someone in Japan.

You are giving a response that applies for a specific country. Just because this has been "almost inescapable" in NZ doesn't mean the same would be true for Japan, especially at the time the episode was scripted, or the related chapter of the manga was authored.

You also still don't seem to have an appreciation for the degree of "willful ignorance" some people can engage in. Would it surprise you to encounter someone that was unaware most (have to account for hydroponic farming) vegetables are grown in dirt? They do exist. Even if exposed to that information during their life (often several times), they simply tuned it out because they didn't feel it was relevant to them. They literally don't want to learn anything new unless it directly and immediately benefits them in some way.

If you've never encountered any of these people, consider yourself fortunate.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:52 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

Don't play the first. It is BAAAAAAAAD. The later games improve on it but I hope you can handle lots of ecchi.

There's really not that much, other than Vert's boobs bouncing most of the time she talks (which is mainly a V issue since you don't see her for most of Mk2). Other than that, there's about 3-5 scenes or so in the game that are fanservicey and at worst resemble what you saw in episode one with the Dogoos. Beyond that, it's just in the dialogue and occasional panty shots in battles.

But yeah, don't play the original. There is, however, a remake of it being worked on for the Vita, which should be vastly better whenever it comes out.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Carlo's reaction to the shows this season has me dumbfounded. Enjoy Irritataman!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Given that I live in the U.S. and not New Zealand, no I haven't. Certainly if there were any similar ongoing overwhelming publicity here, I've managed to avoid it, which is evidence enough the same could easily be true for someone in Japan.

Probably depends on whether you live in a state where egg production is a major commodity. About 5 years ago California voters passed a law requiring layers to have enough cage space to stand up and spread their wings (doesn't seem like much to ask, huh), and the legislature followed up by requiring that eggs sold in CA from other states come from facilities that meet those requirements.

The federal government is still wrangling over that in the current farm bill, which I don't think has passed both houses yet (I'm not sure if the amendment to establish federal requirements made it through to the final version the House just passed). I know there was an amendment to the Senate version that prohibited states from doing what California did (i.e., embargo commodities that don't comply with local regulations), but I don't know if that's still in there or not.

The point is, yes, it is an issue here, if not in Japan, whether it's on anyone's radar or not. Smile (I'm getting a weird deja vü feeling here Smile )

Anyway, my take on Hachicken's aversion to learning where eggs come from was not the circumstances of the hen, but that he had not realized there was only one outlet in a chicken. Like he knows babies don't come out of women's butts, so he assumed chickens had a separate route as well, but when he recognized the fecal matter on the eggs instead of nothing, or even blood, he was horrified and couldn't help feeling they were contaminated even after washing. He was probably imagining that the eggs were formed in the intestines since he still doesn't grasp the internal anatomy.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Apologies if this has been already asked, but will anyone do a preview of Kimi no Iru Machi? Fansubs are out already and no American company has licensed it as far as I know. I've heard some rather interesting things about the Manga and am curious how the Anime adaptation fares.

----------

TheAncientOne wrote:
If you've never encountered any of these people, consider yourself fortunate.

Of course I've encountered those people. Never said or implied I hadn't. You just don't understand what my point was.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:23 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Apologies if this has been already asked, but will anyone do a preview of Kimi no Iru Machi? Fansubs are out already and no American company has licensed it as far as I know. I've heard some rather interesting things about the Manga and am curious how the Anime adaptation fares.

We're wrapped for this season.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to all the ANN previewers for their work. I pretty much sample everything and I generally like knowing as little as possible when I see an eppie, so I never use the previews as actually previews. However, I do find it interesting to go back to the previews after I've seen the episode in question and see which previewers - if any - felt roughly the same way I did and to see how the previewers either agreed or disagreed with each other. It's a great feature.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 68 of 73