• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga in Electronic Format?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Number Six

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Does anyplace sell manga in electronic format for reading on computers and PDA's? Like what Fictionwise.com does for books... My book reading time is limited thanks to my 16 month old son, but I have more time and opportunity for reading on my PDA.
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I don't think any American companies are doing that right now. Alternately, you could scan all of your manga and transfer it to your PDA, but that would probably take more time than just reading them.
Number Six

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Oh well, I thought I'd ask. Seems like the publishers are missing out on a good business opportunity here.
remember love

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Number Six wrote:
Oh well, I thought I'd ask. Seems like the publishers are missing out on a good business opportunity here.

I rarely see books on electronic format and never seen manga or even american comics on electronic formats. I don't think they do it maybe because they don't think it will do that well. Personally, other then your situation I don't think many people would need such a thing. Only reason I would use it is if on a plane or something like that and don't want to have an entire book with me. But how big is the screen on your PDA... because if it's too small then it'd be ahrd to read the text on the manga wouldn't it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:33 pm Reply with quote
There is Gentosha's Web Comic Genzo anthology. The series aren't really all that great but at ~$1.85 an issue it's not that expensive. Don't know about use on a PDA though...
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:14 am Reply with quote
I've seen most people put them on their PSPs...
Number Six

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:06 am Reply with quote
remember love wrote:

I rarely see books on electronic format

www.fictionwise.com has tons.

remember love wrote:

and never seen manga or even american comics on electronic formats.

Well, not legal ones anyway...

remember love wrote:

I don't think they do it maybe because they don't think it will do that well.

I certainly agree with you that its probably because they don't think there is a big enough market for e-manga. However, there already exists a black market for manga with people distributing scans over the net. The publishers run the risk of fueling traffic in the file sharing world by not having a way to buy thier books online. They only need to look as far as the record companies to see the consequences of being late to the online party.

remember love wrote:

But how big is the screen on your PDA... because if it's too small then it'd be ahrd to read the text on the manga wouldn't it?

I have a 4 inch screen. Yes, I wouldn't be able to read some of the smaller fonts if the whole page was displayed. The software would need some sort of zoom capability. Also, maybe the manga could be set up in a way so that the page is broken up into pieces so that a manga page is split up into a few pages of e-manga. Whatever, I am sure they could get around the size problem somehow.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Number Six wrote:
remember love wrote:

I rarely see books on electronic format

www.fictionwise.com has tons.

remember love wrote:

and never seen manga or even american comics on electronic formats.

Well, not legal ones anyway...

remember love wrote:

I don't think they do it maybe because they don't think it will do that well.

I certainly agree with you that its probably because they don't think there is a big enough market for e-manga. However, there already exists a black market for manga with people distributing scans over the net. The publishers run the risk of fueling traffic in the file sharing world by not having a way to buy thier books online. They only need to look as far as the record companies to see the consequences of being late to the online party.

remember love wrote:

But how big is the screen on your PDA... because if it's too small then it'd be ahrd to read the text on the manga wouldn't it?

I have a 4 inch screen. Yes, I wouldn't be able to read some of the smaller fonts if the whole page was displayed. The software would need some sort of zoom capability. Also, maybe the manga could be set up in a way so that the page is broken up into pieces so that a manga page is split up into a few pages of e-manga. Whatever, I am sure they could get around the size problem somehow.

In japan, manga are the done the same way they are here: in book format. Japanese companies wouldn't be please if their properties start appearing in another format than what the contract said. Also keep in mind that if manga companies start putting scan online, they're openning themself to a bunch of bootleggers getting their stuff. Not only that but it will bring awareness to current illegal scanlation. I'm not saying they won't, but the current market seem to be working right now. If they start putting manga online and it fail, than it will hinder their current business -moneywise.

I'm not saying your idea is bad, but it's not the right time yet. Give it a few more years until we really see companies starting to release manga via scan.
tomatovisiontv

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Here is a way to read manga on a PDA first if you can get it in a PDF file then go to adobe and download a free PDA reader. You can read the file on your Palm or Pocket PC. I have doing it for moblie clients for years. I just did it for DC comic files they are in PDF. Try that it should work.
remember love

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:04 pm Reply with quote
tomatovisiontv wrote:
Here is a way to read manga on a PDA first if you can get it in a PDF file then go to adobe and download a free PDA reader. You can read the file on your Palm or Pocket PC. I have doing it for moblie clients for years. I just did it for DC comic files they are in PDF. Try that it should work.

What did you do scan the comics onto the computer?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Number Six

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:14 pm Reply with quote
tomatovisiontv wrote:

Well... yeah... but in the time it would take me to scan it in, do any clean-up, convert to PDF, save to file, then load it onto my PDA, I could've just read the pages directly. I was looking for a way to cut down a lot of that time, since thats the issue for me.

remember love, you should be able to use any old scanner to get the images onto your computer. There are some online services which will convert your images to PDF (Google "online pdf creation") for free.
remember love

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Number Six wrote:
tomatovisiontv wrote:

Well... yeah... but in the time it would take me to scan it in, do any clean-up, convert to PDF, save to file, then load it onto my PDA, I could've just read the pages directly. I was looking for a way to cut down a lot of that time, since thats the issue for me.

remember love, you should be able to use any old scanner to get the images onto your computer. There are some online services which will convert your images to PDF (Google "online pdf creation") for free.

I was trying to state a point if he scan it in or jsut downloaded the comics though I'm sure he scaned them...mynext point was what you already said was the time it would take to do it in wasn't worth the effort.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1