• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Fate/Zero on BD/DVD with Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
You act as if this is the first time they've done this. *cough*BlueExorcist*cough*

Oh yeah, forgot about that.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:38 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I've defended - and will continue to defend - AoA's pricing structure. But I will not defend this. Releasing a dubbed version now is a slap in the face to those loyal fans who bought the original release.

No it's not. Type Moon fans imported the sets fully well knowing that a future release with a dub could happen. Had AoA said that they were never going to dub it and/or have another F/Z release then there'd be reason to be upset. But this is completely fine.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:40 pm Reply with quote
cloud1989 wrote:
I wonder if they will offer any special deal to those who spent the insane $700 to own the series already, it would kind of be a slap in the face if they don't. Its like "hey there thanks for spending $700 for our overpriced boxset, by the way the product was not finished cause we had a dub coming along down the line but nobody really knew that so we would love to take your money again". I wonder how much this one will cost.

Well, all I have to say if whoever did buy it right away, it was their choice. They have no one to blame but themselves for regretting not waiting. I just checked Rightstuf and they still have the imports available, so it would never be a case of "must buy this now or it'll go OOP!" If you have to buy something right away, go ahead! But I don't see why a company would owe you something for a decision you made. It's not like it was a promise that it would be their only release for it.

Me? With things like Garden of Sinners getting re-released (for myself, I didn't care it was DVD-only), I didn't mind at ALL waiting for a cheaper release. Patience... Besides, it's been highly requested at panels and such for a more affordable release. I for once, am glad I waited!

Megiddo wrote:
ll knowing that a future release with a dub could happen. Had AoA said that they were never going to dub it and/or have another F/Z release then there'd be reason to be upset. But this is completely fine.

Saw this after I posted. Pretty much this right here.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
I've defended - and will continue to defend - AoA's pricing structure. But I will not defend this. Releasing a dubbed version now is a slap in the face to those loyal fans who bought the original release.

No it's not. Type Moon fans imported the sets fully well knowing that a future release with a dub could happen. Had AoA said that they were never going to dub it and/or have another F/Z release then there'd be reason to be upset. But this is completely fine.

But they DID say that at one point. They specifically stated at one of their panels, "We have no plans at this time to produce dubs for Blue Exorcist or Fate/Zero". And they never would have, had Neon Alley not come around and given them reason to.

So yeah. I can understand why people would be upset about this.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:46 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

But they DID say that at one point. They specifically stated at one of their panels, "We have no plans at this time to produce dubs for Blue Exorcist or Fate/Zero". And they never would have, had Neon Alley not come around and given them reason to.

I guess you're new to PR talk? They use the phrase "no plans" often, but it never equals out to "never", unless they specifically state so. So many games and anime have been released after using that phrase...

Still, dub or not, they never said they wouldn't re-release it either.
traveling

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
It was only logical that there would be a cheaper release in the future. I wanted to see what Fate/Zero was all about, but I waited until it was
less expensive than $700 to do it. People who bought the import got what they paid for. Sometimes it pays to wait.

EDIT: Same thing goes for Blue Exorcist. If you didn't see the value in 4 sub-only DVDs why buy them?

Last edited by traveling on Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
I think the people who bought the original release are the crazies who want all the stuff that Japan gets, and they must have it, regardless of whether it's dubbed or not.

No, I won't believe anything other than that.

I can't speak for everyone, but that fits me to a T. I loved the import sets, but I still want to get the stuff with the next release they do. If I'd had more money a few months back, I would've gotten the Oreimo BD set they released too, even though I already have the DVD set they released.

Then again a better example might be that a I retroactively bought all the Lucky Star LEs a few months after I bought the DVD box set... and I love 'em.

Last edited by Ryujin99 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
The line "we have no plans at this time" just basically means that they do not want to make any sort of public statement. For example, when the magazine leaks for Azazel-san's second season were all over the internet the creators of Azazel said that "they have no plans at this time for a sequel". Less than 24 hours later, the official announcement for the sequel was made.
Panon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Except the only people 'upset' are the usual AoA price complainers who in all likelihood didn't buy those sets in the first place. So it's just the same old thing but with more disingenuous spin than usual.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Now... Will it cost an arm and a leg?
Mirri

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Yep. This is true. Of course, there are people who don't understand the mindset of those of us who imported... and that's entirely fine, because people are different.

Also

I REGRET NOTHING, I WILL OWN BOTH SETS AND BE HAPPY.
The Count

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

I guess you're new to PR talk? They use the phrase "no plans" often, but it never equals out to "never", unless they specifically state so. So many games and anime have been released after using that phrase...

Still, dub or not, they never said they wouldn't re-release it either.
Exactly, the phrase "We have no current plans" is very vague and shouldn't be taken as any kind of conformation. I've heard this phrase enough through gaming that when I hear it I know to wait a bit longer. This is the approach I've taken to DVD only releases, because although not explicitly stated I know there is a chance of a Blu-Ray release down the road.

This will seem like a dumb question but is today the day all the AX stuff is going down(industry panels, licenses announcements) because I thought it was Fri-Sun.

Last edited by The Count on Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Ryujin99 wrote:
ZakuAce wrote:
I think the people who bought the original release are the crazies who want all the stuff that Japan gets, and they must have it, regardless of whether it's dubbed or not.

I can't speak for everyone, but that fits me to a T. I loved the import sets, but I still want to get the stuff with the next release they do. If I'd had more money a few months back, I would've gotten the Oreimo BD set they released too, even though I already have the DVD set they released.

As someone that has Japanese Madoka Blu-Rays 1 and 3 (with plans for 5) solely for the Drama CDs in addition to what is (and will) come out domestically, I concur with your theory. I'm pretty sure everyone who imported that are well aware of potential future releases and easily accessible streaming.
Joe anime

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
Will this even have subs?

Yes.
Mirri

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
ColonelYao47 wrote:
Ryujin99 wrote:
ZakuAce wrote:

As someone that has Japanese Madoka Blu-Rays 1 and 3 (with plans for 5) solely for the Drama CDs in addition to what is (and will) come out domestically, I concur with your theory. I'm pretty sure everyone who imported that are well aware of potential future releases and easily accessible streaming.

I imported Madoka not expecting there to ever be a license, considering the BluRay sales achieved record-breaking highs for anime TV BluRay releases and there was no simulcast. Then the license announcement happened and I already had three of the discs and the fourth coming in ~3 weeks and I figured that I was already in too deep to just bail, so I finished importing it.

edit: but I ordered the whole series before the broadcast concluded, and before the first disc even came out. I actually have the errored volume one, there was no easy way to get a replacement being in the United States Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9