• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Massive Attack

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrathful

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:52 pm Reply with quote
To my disappointment, this site is fast approaching the quality of The Escapist, every thread like this gets derailed like no tomorrow.

Square Enix has to stop making games now and stick to being publisher. Their games are becoming more of a mess as time goes by focusing on the unnecessary aesthetic changes than the real improvements. They've already tainted the name Final Fantasy, yet they seem so eager to bury that name deeper.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed FF XIII but have no interest in the sequels since they seem to just ruin the solid ending the first game had. Retconning the first game's ending, randomly introducing time travel, Serah spends a whole game with some other dude who isn't her fiancee, and now the main heroine starts wearing more revealing outfits for no reason*? Sounds like bad fanfiction to me.

Also, while character development is definitely stronger with Tales, I don't think the storytelling is that bad (except for Graces, ugh). Symphonia and Vesperia had some good story moments with some hiccups, and Abyss for the most part delivered a great story all the way through. Here's hoping Xillia 1 and 2 deliver as well.

*compare to Bioshock Infinite where Elizabeth changing her outfit to be more revealing is (vague spoilers) spoiler[treated as something tragic as opposed to titillating and reflects a sad turn in her character. Most male players I know actually were wishing to see her return to her original conservative outfit if it meant she'd go back to being more cheerful.]
BonusStage

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Lightning Returns seems more desperate. The costumes are being added to a character people didn't like all that much in an attempt to entice. It's fluff, but it shows a bit of desperation.

I thought Lightning was voted the most popular FF girl Confused

EDIT: Yeah she was

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2013/01/japan-ranks-their-favorite-female-characters-from-the-final-fantasy-series/
Panon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
The costumes are being added to a character people didn't like all that much in an attempt to entice.

If you keep saying it, one day it might be true
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind fanservice in and of itself, and actually very much like the character designs in Dragon's Crown (though I wish their noggins were rendered a bit larger compared to their bodies).

The fanservice coming from Lightning Returns, though, does seem a bit gross. Optional skimpy costumes don't necessarily bother me, but it's the changing of her breast size and the addition of jiggle physics that feels like they're letting their libidos go too far.
lostrune

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:26 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
*compare to Bioshock Infinite where Elizabeth changing her outfit to be more revealing is (vague spoilers) spoiler[treated as something tragic as opposed to titillating and reflects a sad turn in her character. Most male players I know actually were wishing to see her return to her original conservative outfit if it meant she'd go back to being more cheerful.]

I always heard her design was de-sexualized because radical feminists like Feminist Frequency complained about it so the lead developer reduced her chest and waist and gave her more conservative clothing. You can see the Twitter arguments back and forth from Irrational Games and Feminist Frequency floating on the web. Guess we should be glad J-developers don't buckle to peer pressure and bullying.. at least not from us unimportant foreigners who don't affect sales in their home market Laughing
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Aside from next month's The Wonderful 101, the Wii U doesn't have much for the remainder of the year"

So then...does that mean that the October releases of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, Wii Party U, and Sonic Lost World, the November release of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, and the December releases of Super Mario 3D World and Wii Fit U don't count for anything?
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:52 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:

I always heard her design was de-sexualized because radical feminists like Feminist Frequency complained about it so the lead developer reduced her chest and waist and gave her more conservative clothing. You can see the Twitter arguments back and forth from Irrational Games and Feminist Frequency floating on the web. Guess we should be glad J-developers don't buckle to peer pressure and bullying.. at least not from us unimportant foreigners who don't affect sales in their home market Laughing

It's actually hilarious that you think Feminist Frequency is radically feminist.

And for the record I can find no evidence that Elizabeth was made less attractive because of Anita Sarkeesian, in fact all evidence portrays the opposite, they actually made her more attractive as development went on. Of course the focus of her design was on portraying her facial expressions well enough for the player to read them.

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/20/4126766/bioshock-infinite-initial-elizabeth-character-design-wasnt-attractive
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Forte-sama wrote:
Quote:
"Aside from next month's The Wonderful 101, the Wii U doesn't have much for the remainder of the year"

So then...does that mean that the October releases of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, Wii Party U, and Sonic Lost World, the November release of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, and the December releases of Super Mario 3D World and Wii Fit U don't count for anything?

Wow, I actually missed that when I first read the article. Not all of those I would count as big, but surely Sonic, DKC, and Mario should count as significant releases.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:15 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
When we "judge" her by her outfit we are not condemning an actual woman. We are condemning the designers who decide what she looks like and who's motivations here are pretty clearly to make her sexy for men rather than to make her in any way empowered through her own sexuality. It's a blatant case of a once strong female character being reduced to a for men by men sex doll.

You can't say this then say her character is being ruined. If you don't value a character to hold her to same standards as you would a real individual or treat them as a dynamically changing person, then you should not care what happens to that character. And please tell me how an optional costume ruins her entire character to begin with. What is it about sexuality that is so harmful that it overshadows everything else about a person and is now their sole definition? That sounds like more of a problem on the individuals end than the actual character or game, because the majority of people do not have issue with this.

animehermit wrote:
And for the record I can find no evidence that Elizabeth was made less attractive because of Anita Sarkeesian, in fact all evidence portrays the opposite, they actually made her more attractive as development went on. Of course the focus of her design was on portraying her facial expressions well enough for the player to read them.

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/20/4126766/bioshock-infinite-initial-elizabeth-character-design-wasnt-attractive

I think he means this.

That article only talks about facial expressions, not actual sexual 'attractiveness'. Sex is definitely a hot issue in the western game industry. Well, western culture in general has always had a problem with sex. It just seems to be popping up more and more in the Western gaming industry the past couple years.

As a side note, I'm glad to see Dragon's Crown selling well in Japan. Hopefully the US sales will also be nice. I keep hoping all the controversy actually drew more attention to the game from people who might not have known about it and will boost its sales in the long run, which is about the only thing we can do to stand up for ourselves.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Just downloaded Attack of the Friday Monsters.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:59 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
...I keep hoping all the controversy actually drew more attention to the game from people who might not have known about it and will boost its sales in the long run, which is about the only thing we can do to stand up for ourselves.

Truly you shall be that brave man standing in a digital Tiananmen Square before the tank column of Anita Sarkeesian and her oppressive feminists.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
snip

Still isn't proof of what he said. I didn't really notice much of a difference in the actual game itself and the picture on the left.

Even then you can (and I will) make the argument that if they did tone her down, it's for narrative reasons rather than because of something feminist frequency did.

Also the statement about western media's relationship to sex and sexuality in media is kind of out of left field. Gaming doesn't have an issue with sex or sexuality, it has an issue with sexism and misogyny, especially in it's community.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:

Yeah we should be glad J developers put out embarrassing crap. Yep, yay for regression. I mean who care's about quailty storytelling and good gameplay, when you can peddle stuff like that to the otaku crowd.

I'm not sure how this marks a good point for FF. Look at top Japanese games sales and you'll see an extreme lack of stuff like this, because that's not what even mainstream Japan wants. To see FF trail off and became an even more niche series is not a good thing. And regressive stuff like this does not exactly help.

FF is a series that should be pushing forward and continuing with it's roots of having strong characters aimed at all.

And yeah Square dosen't care about foreign sales, that's why they bought a US company and FF makes a good portion if not double it's sales overseas.

Hell you're pretty dense if you doubt any developer who makes an HD game is unconcerned with the overseas market.

A move like this is buckling to that otaku crowd that will shell out for DLC.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Thread like this are why I hate going to gaming sites.

You're having a nice conversation and then the lonely sexless chronically masturbating people I disagree with politically who have never spoken to an actual woman in real life (blow-up dolls don't count) shit it up.

Quote:
I thought Lightning was voted the most popular FF girl Confused

EDIT: Yeah she was

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2013/01/japan-ranks-their-favorite-female-characters-from-the-final-fantasy-series/

Japan always votes for the newest character in character polls, they're pointless. Anything older than 2 years is basically forgotten.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 17