• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(Shadow Star) Narutaru.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Siilent wrote:
Hoping 'Lain' doesn't have any disturbing content in it (which I assume it doesn't, even though they both score the same rating of 'teenagers' on this site), I'll look into it further.

Lain is more psychotic than disturbing. Still, it's one of my favorite. As abunai said, right now I'd recommend you look for more titles which are less disturbing, and there are many more.

Siilent, you behave much more mature than your biological age -- way better than the average 18-yrs on this site. This is a cordial compliment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Siilent

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:10 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Siilent wrote:
Hoping 'Lain' doesn't have any disturbing content in it (which I assume it doesn't, even though they both score the same rating of 'teenagers' on this site), I'll look into it further.

Lain is more psychotic than disturbing.

I must be irritating by now, asking so much, but...psychotic how? All I know is that it's about a girl that gets an e-mail from a girl who commited suicide, claiming that she only left her body behind and that she's still alive, or something like that. Now, does this main character get transported to this 'other place', or does the 'other place' come to her world gradually?

Psychotic is a much better adjective than disturbing. I only hope that it doesn't really even skim the 'bad' content of Narutaru I've been informed of, and that there are other characters involved. I've heard the anime centers around this main girl, but that seems a little...monotonous. I like unique characters, and certanly more than /one/.

A little biased, but I tend to dislike most female characters, too. And I'm a female myself.

(the quotes are malfunctioning on my computer, so I'll just do this.) "Siilent, you behave much more mature than your biological age -- way better than the average 18-yrs on this site. This is a cordial compliment."

Wow...Really?

Thank you. That really is a nice compliment to hear. I'm surprised, though. Eighteen year olds? More immature than someone 4 years below them?

Last edited by Siilent on Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jrich572

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:36 pm Reply with quote
delete

Last edited by Jrich572 on Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Siilent wrote:
I must be irritating by now, asking so much

Not at all. If you browse through my old posts, you'll know that I enjoy intelligent conversation.

Siilent wrote:
but...psychotic how? All I know is that it's about a girl that gets an e-mail from a girl who commited suicide, claiming that she only left her body behind and that she's still alive, or something like that. Now, does this main character get transported to this 'other place', or does the 'other place' come to her world gradually?

Mmm, I'd say that experience above was very personal. As a person who has been interested in conspiracy theories, played Deus Ex (computer game), and been surfing the Internet for 14 years, I found Lain particular interesting, for it will spoiler[force you to think about the definition of existence in a wired world]. This would be off-topic, however; you could either open a new thread on Lain or PM me.

Siilent wrote:
And I'm a female myself.

(ドキ) Embarassed Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
Can we nominate you?
(dormcat dodges flying objects)

Siilent wrote:
Eighteen year olds? More immature than someone 4 years below them?

Trust me, I've seen college-educated people in their 20s who's pathologically normal (not dyslexic or having any other type of disability) but can't communicate properly, just because they found writing correctly is "too bothersome."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Pleroma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:53 am Reply with quote
(OT) I have honestly never met anyone above 10 or so who actually cared about ratings so I'm perplexed here. Most of them are pretty arbitrary (a single word can change a movie from a PG-13 to an R) and can't accurately gauge the effect they will have on people beyond very broad age ranges. Teenagers can handle pretty much anything, the issue is most will not really enjoy the deeper psychological/sociological aspects of some more "adult" anime. In your case I'd say just go ahead and watch whatever peaks your interest ^^

Anywho....I would not call Lain disturbing, rather just very dense. Definitely a good title to own as you will get quite a bit more out of repeat viewings and it has an interesting mood that it pulls one into. If you like "Matrix" style psycho/techno ruminations you should enjoy this as well once and if you manage to get into it.

On the Narutaru topic, I loved it mostly by its clever misdirection tactics. The cartoony opening, art style and pokemon setup that eventually lead to some pretty nasty deaths (mostly deserved, mind you) is the type of daring twist I adore. I have to admit it amuses me to imagine some young kid getting this as a christmas present and the utter wtf experience they'll get round halfway through. Unfortunately the anime covers much too little of the manga and the main plot is left completely unsolved hence I can't recomend it for much beyond shock factor and one would be much better with off with Elfen Lied or Gantz if thats what they want.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:17 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Siilent wrote:
I must be irritating by now, asking so much

Not at all. If you browse through my old posts, you'll know that I enjoy intelligent conversation.

And the odd bit of not-so-intelligent conversation, too. Wink

dormcat wrote:
Siilent wrote:
Eighteen year olds? More immature than someone 4 years below them?

Trust me, I've seen college-educated people in their 20s who's pathologically normal (not dyslexic or having any other type of disability) but can't communicate properly, just because they found writing correctly is "too bothersome."

You don't have to look very far on this board to find people who openly declare that they don't bother with spelling or grammar - and this is a board where these are not optional elements. Try as one might, these people are generally not educable. The pernicious thing about bad spelling and grammar is that, once you decide to forego proper usage, your skills slowly but surely decay to the point where, even if you wanted to, you can no longer write intelligibly. In terms of stupidly self-inflicted injury, it's about on a par with cutting out one's own tongue.

And yes, I've seen my share of supposed adults who refused to make the effort required to string words together in intelligible fashion, let alone with any meaningful content (the two are not the same - I've also encountered people who were capable of immensely elegant prose applied as a thin veneer on a substrate of absolute nonsense; rhetorical splendor is not identical with deep thought, though the two often go hand in hand).

Pleroma wrote:
Anywho....I would not call Lain disturbing, rather just very dense. Definitely a good title to own as you will get quite a bit more out of repeat viewings and it has an interesting mood that it pulls one into. If you like "Matrix" style psycho/techno ruminations you should enjoy this as well once and if you manage to get into it.

My personal take on Serial Experiments Lain is that it is very, very pretentious. It is obviously in the same category of stories as The Matrix (another pretentious story, which is additionally burdened with lack of depth, a manuscript full of Death Star-sized holes, and a lead actor who is about as interesting as watching paint dry). Lain presents a much better story than The Matrix, but even so, this is not what I'd call a brilliant anime. It's watchable, that's about it.

Pleroma wrote:
On the Narutaru topic, I loved it mostly by its clever misdirection tactics. The cartoony opening, art style and pokemon setup that eventually lead to some pretty nasty deaths (mostly deserved, mind you) is the type of daring twist I adore. I have to admit it amuses me to imagine some young kid getting this as a christmas present and the utter wtf experience they'll get round halfway through. Unfortunately the anime covers much too little of the manga and the main plot is left completely unsolved hence I can't recomend it for much beyond shock factor and one would be much better with off with Elfen Lied or Gantz if thats what they want.

The shock factor in Narutaru is so powerful precisely because it sneaks up on you, and because the story, stripped of its fantastical elements, contains plenty of credible real-world atrocious behaviour (such as the bullying that was already mentioned).

A friend of mine categorises Narutaru as a "wolf-in-sheep's-clothing" anime, an expression I find particularly apt. Another anime in the same category is Alien 9. To a lesser extent, Uta~Kata and some episodes of Kino no Tabi have the same attribute of "sneaking up on you".

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Siilent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:52 am Reply with quote
Well, I guess I'll tell you all what I think of Narutaru in about two years. I hope I'm making the right choice by leaving it alone for now.

Is it really alright if I start another board right away? Drat, I wish it weren't off-topic. Then the discussion could continue here.

If these questions are taking it too far into another topic, just say so and I'll repost them in another topic, or in a private message.

1. Does this series only contain characters (other than the girl), who are literally taking up the screen like a big pile of fat? I'm sure you've all seen that happen. (Haruno Sakura of Naruto comes to mind with me...)

What this question basically asks is, are there worth-while, unique characters?

2. I've heard that this plot is slow moving, and that it takes a while to get into. How slow moving could it be? Is it really that dull and boring with the transition from beginning to end?

3. Are there any male characters? (No, I don't want to, like, drool over them, so if that's how it's coming off, I apologize for being misleading. I just tend to prefer the personality, etc, of male characters. This could change my mind, maybe, but it's the same for now.)

4. The animation. I can't stand old anime. It's just too painful for me to watch. Is this done in a fluid, 'modern' kind of way?

I'd prefer psychotic to boring, no contest. Psychotic sounds...very interesting. But reviews for this anime say differently. It's said to be a kind of masterpiece, but then it's said to be boring.

If this needs a new board, I'll do it, but I don't want to flood the forum with things that are basically the same thing.

Last edited by Siilent on Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Siilent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:53 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Siilent wrote:
And I'm a female myself.

(??) Embarassed Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
Can we nominate you?
(dormcat dodges flying objects)

Eh? Didn't quite...get that. Forgive my stupidity, but could you explain this one to me? Anime hyper

edit: I was meaning to copy-paste this in my reply above, but I pressed submit by accident. No double posts, I know, I know. I can't seem to find a way to delete this, though.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:55 am Reply with quote
Siilent wrote:
What this question basically asks is, are there worth-while, unique characters?

Why, yes. Many characters have no similar counterparts in other titles.

Siilent wrote:
2. I've heard that this plot is slow moving, and that it takes a while to get into. How slow moving could it be? Is it really that dull and boring with the transition from beginning to end?

It's hard to say. The answer is very subjective, and personally I don't feel uncomfortable with slow-paced anime.

Siilent wrote:
3. Are there any male characters?

There are several, and one of them is probably one of the most memorable male characters in my memory: Naozumi Sudou, a very smart boy with a dragon. He is spoiler[fully aware of how powerful his dragon is and plans to change the world with it.]

One of the best dialogue was between him and Akira, when spoiler[the two went out fishing.

Naozumi: "Do you eat them after catching them?"

Akira: "No, we took the hook off their mouths and let them go. Fishing is now a recreation."

Naozumi: "I see. You played with the life of another being, not because of the need to save yourself from starvation, but for fun. Are you telling me that it's okay to play with others' lives, as long as you are much more powerful and smarter than them? Imagine this: if there's a higher being much more powerful and smarter than you are, do you feel it's okay if he wants to play with your life just for his entertainment?"

Those words scared Akira to death.]

Siilent wrote:
4. The animation. I can't stand old anime. It's just too painful for me to watch. Is this done in a fluid, 'modern' kind of way?

The fluidity is okay, but I do know many were unsatisfied with its character and color designs. Can't blame the character designer; the original manga were just like that (the anime version even streamlined some). However, the contrast of the screen should be enhanced, for the darker regions were not dark enough.

Siilent wrote:
Eh? Didn't quite...get that. Forgive my stupidity, but could you explain this one to me?

We have a tournament underway. However, no three-dimensional characters could enter the tournament, so I was just kidding. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

By the way, ドキ (doki) is the onomatopoeia for the sound of a heartbeat in Japanese.
Siilent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:00 pm Reply with quote
That's really interesting dialogue. Wow. I wish that disturbing, sick-minded stuff was cut out. It looks like such a good series. Ah well. When I'm older, it'll be waiting.

Now...The same questions for Lain, if you don't mind. If we have to abandon this board for the sake of getting off-topic, I'd be glad to post another board or send a PM, as long as it wasn't troubling to anyone.

Oh, and I understand the joke now. XB

EDIT: One website I came across claimed that their suggested age rating for Lain was 16+. The same, if not a higher, rating as Narutaru. Lain doesn't look disturbing in the least. It almost looks light. But that rating makes me hesitate. It may be opinionated, since another rating I saw was 13+.

...I wonder which one is correct?
Aoi_Sakaraba

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I thought Akira's spoiler[ father molested her and thats why she was always depressed, and that is why she killed him.

At one point in the series there was a glimpse of her father "saying that she was daddy's little girl".]
[/u]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3