• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Words you now use differently because of anime.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
There are some words and phrases that seem to be used differently in the English translations of anime from the way I originally learned to use them. I can't say it has changed the way I speak, but when I think of or hear those words I think of them differently.

At the top of the list is "perverted." I was really confused by this at first and still am to some extent. In English I associate it with "deviant" or perhaps "distorted." In English-anime it seems to be the word for sexual arousal, deviant or not. Yet "ecchi" is always translated that way.

Another one I see a lot is "I don't want to hear that from you." It is understandable but a rather roundabout way of saying "you're a hypocrite." I don't see that anywhere but in anime.

Does anyone else think of it this way and have other examples?

Also I wonder if the other translations see a similar effect (French, German, Russian, etc.)?
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Another one I see a lot is "I don't want to hear that from you." It is understandable but a rather roundabout way of saying "you're a hypocrite." I don't see that anywhere but in anime.

Oh, I've definitely seen/heard this used outside of anime, and with the same implied meaning. In fact, I'm more familiar with this phrase from non-anime sources than I am from anime sources.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rhyono

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Key on that point; I can't really think of any animes I've seen that used.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
OK, then, what about "I won't forgive you!" typically shouted in a battle situation where the opponent has arguably gone over the line. In Japanese it must come across as a stronger statement than it would as English.

Often when I see it in anime or manga I am thinking, "you know, it should be obvious that this guy wouldn't care." After all they are in a death match why would he?

It is not that this line could never appear in a Western-written script -- it just would never be used that way.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:12 am Reply with quote
My favorite is "proof of my existence". It is normally used as the justification for why some shounen hero did or is planning to do something utterly reckless or stupid or cool (sometimes they all mean the same thing). The first time I encountered it I had to stop and think for while because I had no idea what that was supposed to mean. Normally proving your existence is a philosophical exercise not a reason to blow up a death star.

Last edited by lesterf1020 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:25 am; edited 2 times in total
EricJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:20 am Reply with quote
Transfer student--
In the US, they're ignored.
In Japan, they're mysterious, supernatural catalysts of fate.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:13 am Reply with quote
The word love.

I'm with the belief this word has different levels based on inflection and manner in how it's addressed. What we translate as "I really like you" is always from "love" in Japanese.

A quick example is Mai from Ghost Hunt. It's clear she has a crush on Kazuya, but she always says "love".

I'm guessing there's no Japanese (phrases) for "like" or "crush".

It can be difficult to discern at times, but that's rare.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Another I thought of while driving to work:

"Don't say things that make it complicated!" Perfectly understandable but I have never seen that in any English-sourced fiction. Always in romantic comedy anime.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I find myself more disposed to dismiss minor grievances and setbacks by resorting to the familiar phrase, "it can't be helped".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
The word love.

But they're really saying "ai", or "koi", or "renai", or "suki", or maybe "rabu", which may or may not map directly into ἀγάπη, ἔρως, or φιλία.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
How about, "Don't decide that by/for yourself!" I don't know if that is unique to Japanese or unique to Japanese translation to English, but it is another one I have never seen in an American-written script.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
How about, "Don't decide that by/for yourself!"

There's an instance in which I've never heard it used outside of anime.

lesterf1020 comment vaguely reminded me of something male leads will say pertaining to their youth. It alludes me at the moment, but I'm sure someone else will know what it is.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, I like this thread. Anime hyper

Being well-rehearsed in Japanese, I'm gonna show off now. lol
Note: Some of these are in very rude dialect. Don't use the rude ones around real Japanese people, please. Anime hyper

Quote:
"I don't want to hear that from you."

Omae kara kikitakunee!
(very rude)

I've heard this now and then in anime but you see it more in manga.

Quote:
"I won't forgive you!

Yurusenai!
(informal)

Quote:
Transfer student

Tenkousei
(this is just a noun. Perfectly safe to use casually)

Quote:
I'm guessing there's no Japanese (phrases) for "like" or "crush".

Suki can mean both "like, love". I believe it depends on the context it is used. But there's no actual rule for when it is "love" and when it is "like". It's a lot more casual and lighter than aishiteru which means love in how you REALLY cherish a person or the type of love between family members.
Renai is romantic love, as is koi. Ai is love in general (it can be any type). Suki I don't see used as a noun that much.
(treat the same way as tenkousei)

Quote:
I find myself more disposed to dismiss minor grievances and setbacks by resorting to the familiar phrase, "it can't be helped".

I do this too. Anime hyper You can either say shikatanai (more polite) or shou ga nai (informal/boyish). Or shou ga nee. (really rude)

Quote:
How about, "Don't decide that by/for yourself!"

Katte ni kimeruna! (Rude) Yeah, I like this one. Anime hyper Nor have I seen it outside the anime/manga world.

More phrases that seem anime/manga-exclusive:

Kanchigai suruna!
"Don't misunderstand!" (rude) Male tsunderes love this phrase.

Omae no tame wake janai!
"It's not like I did it for you! (rude)
Rofl insert tsundere of either sex HERE.

Watashi ni katte hyakunen mada hayai ne!
"You're a hundred years too early to beat me!" (informal)

Nameruna
"Don't underestimate me." (rude)

Last edited by Chiibi on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
teknokrat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
How they say "secret" with the pause between syllables, "hi-mit-su" if I remember right. Now whenever I hear a woman say secret in English I hear a playful female Japanese voice saying "hi-mit-su" in my head and I can't help but chuckle.

Last edited by teknokrat on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
teknokrat wrote:
How they say "secret" with the pause between syllables, "hi-met-su" if I remember right.

It's actually hi-mi-tsu" :3 But you were close. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3