• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Piece and Naruto #1 in their time slots

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Actually, from what I've heard Detective Conan did well with teens, but that's obviously not what Adult Swim wants, so they pulled it.

InuYasha was and is a fluke.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Scryed should have aired on Toonami.

Seriously, Adult Swim NEEDS shows. Right now they're running Cobwboy Bebop yet again (for the billionth showing of each episode), and FLCL (which is only SIX episodes and yet is rarely out of circulation for more than three months). Now these are good shows, but please, there's only so many times they can rerun the damned things. You almost never see a live action show enter syndication with less than 100 episodes, much less 6.

Now, sure, there are more adult shows that they could try running, such as Blood+, Berserk, Elfen Lied, or whatever, but for whatever reason they aren't. They need to fill three programing ours with material, and unedited episodes of Naruto, One Piece, or Bleach would fit that space perfectly.

Toonami has TONS of usable material already, including Yakitate Japan, JLU, Titans, a near infinite amount of Gash Bell, Hunter X Hunter, Flame of Recca, Vandel Buster Beet, Tsubasa, Negima (the show's not as ecchi as the manga, but it could go either way), MAR, etc. It's not like they're hurting for material to show.

Quote:
And since you're obviously SO good at reading, you must have seen what I wrote about why InuYasha is on Adult Swim instead of Toonami?

Yes, because it couldn't run under Toonami standards. And it's still on Adult Swim.

Quote:

Different standards for different countries. Detective Conan is also a show where 90+% of its episodes revolve around murders.

Exactly my point, different standards for different countries. Bleach is a show in which at least half the episodes contain extremely violent and bloody fights (more bloody than any episode of Conan at least). What might be a teen show in Japan clearly does not count as a teen show in the US.

Quote:

Um... what? Since when is saying that a show belongs on ___ "elitism"?

You were, and correct me if I'm wrong, saying that Bleach was not "good enough" for Adult Swim, that it was not "adult" enough, in your opinion. That is elitism, because it is placing it in a class below another.

Quote:

Or you know, they could give it a late slot and loose TV-PG.

Didn't work for Naruto.

Quote:

Oh, and by that logic (with editing the manji), 4Kids should be going broke with the mass edits they're making to One Piece (every trace of the word "Marine" is erased and replaced with the word "Navy", and they also did a similar edit to a town called "Loguetown" where they changed the L to an R), though I guess they're getting close...

We're talking the entire hilt of the main character's sword. I'm a digital artist by trade, and I can tell you that it would be a considerably more costly thing to edit than most of 4Kid's edits. It'd be a moving object, in a non-constrained space, with transparent components. Text editing is really not all that hard by compairison. They could probably edit it, but it would be time consuming, expensive, and would inevitably look horrible. That's not even counting the massive amount of blood.

Quote:
It's a great show, but it's thematic material is about as intense as Evangelion

Eva was a kid's show too.

Quote:
It might be the same level of violence and stuff as Naruto and One Piece but have you ever considered that a show can be considered "adult" for reasons that *gasp* don't have to do with being innapropriate for children?

You know that, and I know that, but the network censors don't know that. As such, I frame the debate in terms as they understand them. IF a show needs edits, it's adult, and as such belongs on Adult Swim. If it can run with very minimal edits, then it's Toonami, simple, clear-cut.

Quote:
Inu-Yasha was put on the air back when Adult Swim Action was starving for content so they started airing shows that had been originally intended for Toonami.

Oh yeah, AS is much better for content now. How long until they start airing two eps of Bebop per rotation?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:34 pm Reply with quote
All it really shows, though, is that there isn't much of anything in the way of competiton in the "Kids 6-11" and "Tweens 9-14" Nielsen demographic splits at those particular times of the evening on those nights.

None of those shows have even made the Top 30 lists for overall weekly ratings in those demographic splits since about the end of September.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Seriously, Adult Swim NEEDS shows. Right now they're running Cobwboy Bebop yet again (for the billionth showing of each episode), and FLCL (which is only SIX episodes and yet is rarely out of circulation for more than three months). Now these are good shows, but please, there's only so many times they can rerun the damned things. You almost never see a live action show enter syndication with less than 100 episodes, much less 6.

You know why Cowboy Bebop keeps running on Adult Swim? Because it gets ratings. Fooly Cooly is also a personal favorite of Williams Street, so they're probably going to run it as much as they can before the license expires.

They have enough shows. I agree that the Cowboy Bebop thing is overkill, but would you rather they run back to back InuYasha?

Quote:
Now, sure, there are more adult shows that they could try running, such as Blood+, Berserk, Elfen Lied, or whatever, but for whatever reason they aren't. They need to fill three programing ours with material, and unedited episodes of Naruto, One Piece, or Bleach would fit that space perfectly.

Hahahahahahahahaha

Oh wait, you were serious? How rude of me.

Naruto and One Piece aren't going to air on Adult Swim because Viz and 4Kids have already decided that they're best for the audience that they have right now. Not only that, but they do NOT BELONG ON ADULT SWIM. Saying otherwise is absurd. Violence does not make a show adult.

Quote:
Toonami has TONS of usable material already, including Yakitate Japan, JLU, Titans, a near infinite amount of Gash Bell, Hunter X Hunter, Flame of Recca, Vandel Buster Beet, Tsubasa, Negima (the show's not as ecchi as the manga, but it could go either way), MAR, etc. It's not like they're hurting for material to show.

Are half of those series even licensed? BTW, Titans was canceled, and JLU may suffer the same fate.

Quote:
Yes, because it couldn't run under Toonami standards. And it's still on Adult Swim.

Because it's proven to work there.

Quote:
Exactly my point, different standards for different countries. Bleach is a show in which at least half the episodes contain extremely violent and bloody fights (more bloody than any episode of Conan at least). What might be a teen show in Japan clearly does not count as a teen show in the US.

And does the blood make it an "adult show"? Since when does content decide a show's demographic?

Quote:
You were, and correct me if I'm wrong, saying that Bleach was not "good enough" for Adult Swim, that it was not "adult" enough, in your opinion. That is elitism, because it is placing it in a class below another.

Sir, you're talking to a fan of Yu-Gi-Oh! and One Piece. I could care less where a show airs or who its audience is, as long as I like it.

How the hell did you get the impression that I don't think Bleach is "good enough" for Adult Swim? I'm just saying that I don't think its content should automatically place it on ___, and I don't consider it an "adult" show.

Quote:
Didn't work for Naruto.

Naruto was edited for TV-Y7. Someone at CN got cold feet and rated it TV-PG.

Quote:
We're talking the entire hilt of the main character's sword. I'm a digital artist by trade, and I can tell you that it would be a considerably more costly thing to edit than most of 4Kid's edits. It'd be a moving object, in a non-constrained space, with transparent components. Text editing is really not all that hard by compairison. They could probably edit it, but it would be time consuming, expensive, and would inevitably look horrible. That's not even counting the massive amount of blood.

The Marine officers in One Piece frequently move around, so it's not like all they would have to do is paint over their hats once and they're done. They also clean up blood (during fights, this is pretty essential), and for some reason, randomly re-colored some kids' pots and pans, which they used as weapons (you know, to swing and smash people with - obviously they were put into some motion, making it a bit trickier to edit).

For such editors (who apparently have a lot of time on their hands), I doubt editing a swastika symbol off of the hilt of a sword is not as hard as you make it out to be.

Or they could just, y'know, keep it.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:

They have enough shows. I agree that the Cowboy Bebop thing is overkill, but would you rather they run back to back InuYasha?

No, if they're going to rerun something into the ground it might as well be Bebop, but they should pick up more new shows than they do.

Quote:
Naruto and One Piece aren't going to air on Adult Swim because Viz and 4Kids have already decided that they're best for the audience that they have right now. Not only that, but they do NOT BELONG ON ADULT SWIM. Saying otherwise is absurd. Violence does not make a show adult.

Neither does putting it on Adult Swim. It's a purely arbitrary descision. You know what does qualify a show for Adult Swim? If the people that do programming for Adult Swim SAY it belongs on Adult Swim. Nothing more, nothing less. There's no objective criteria that says that a show doesn't belong on Adult Swim, if they want it there, it can be there, and Naruto, One Piece, or Bleach, in there unedited formats, COULD go there.

Quote:
Are half of those series even licensed? BTW, Titans was canceled, and JLU may suffer the same fate.

Yeah, bad ideas all around. The ratings for both series were solid, and they have nothing good to replace them with.

Quote:

Quote:

Because it's proven to work there.

Well that's a catch 22, One Piece and Naruto can't be run in Adult Swim because they haven't proven that they can work there? That's helpful.

Quote:
And does the blood make it an "adult show"? Since when does content decide a show's demographic?

Because it disqualifies it from being a "kid's show". I'm not quibbling with you about whether sex or violence makes a show truly adult, surely a show can be "adult" with neither of those things, but who cares? Those elements, due to the messed up editing standards of US television, disqualify a show from being considered a "kids show", disqualify it from running in Toonami (by CN's arbitrary standards), and therefore necessitates that it run under Adult Swim, if it is to run at all in it's original form.

Quote:

Naruto was edited for TV-Y7. Someone at CN got cold feet and rated it TV-PG.

I've heard nothing to that effect. Where did you?

Quote:

The Marine officers in One Piece frequently move around, so it's not like all they would have to do is paint over their hats once and they're done.

Do you understand how digital painting works? To replace the Marine logo, they merely have to place a white square over it, and then a Navy logo on top of that, and move it across the screen relative to the character. I could detail how each of the other edits are done, but let me assure you that editing something like the recent episodes of Bleach WOULD take considerably more effort than editing One Piece has so far.

Quote:

For such editors (who apparently have a lot of time on their hands), I doubt editing a swastika symbol off of the hilt of a sword is not as hard as you make it out to be.

It's not a symbol painted onto the hilt, it IS the hilt itself. Again, stop talking about stuff you don't have first hand knowledge of.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:14 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
No, if they're going to rerun something into the ground it might as well be Bebop, but they should pick up more new shows than they do.

Unfortunately I kind of agree with you there. Saturdays are going to have The Boondocks and Stroker & Hoop lead them off, so say goodbye to an all-anime Saturday night... again...

Quote:
Neither does putting it on Adult Swim. It's a purely arbitrary descision. You know what does qualify a show for Adult Swim? If the people that do programming for Adult Swim SAY it belongs on Adult Swim. Nothing more, nothing less. There's no objective criteria that says that a show doesn't belong on Adult Swim, if they want it there, it can be there, and Naruto, One Piece, or Bleach, in there unedited formats, COULD go there.

Then I don't agree with the people who do programming for Adult Swim. I think a show should be truly adult for it to be aired on Adult Swim, and whether the programmers agree with me or not isn't the argument here.

Quote:
Yeah, bad ideas all around. The ratings for both series were solid, and they have nothing good to replace them with.

Legion of Superheroes and Ben 10 are some new CN originals that are apparently being made for Toonami.

Then there's The Batman, but that sucks. In any case, Zatch Bell, One Piece, and Naruto are performing strongly enough to keep Toonami afloat for now, so I don't think there's much to worry about.

Quote:
Because it disqualifies it from being a "kid's show". I'm not quibbling with you about whether sex or violence makes a show truly adult, surely a show can be "adult" with neither of those things, but who cares? Those elements, due to the messed up editing standards of US television, disqualify a show from being considered a "kids show", disqualify it from running in Toonami (by CN's arbitrary standards), and therefore necessitates that it run under Adult Swim, if it is to run at all in it's original form.

Or you know, a teen's show, which right now, the closest thing to that is Toonami.

Quote:
I've heard nothing to that effect. Where did you?

From Comic Con, I think it was. A Viz rep said it would be Y7.

Quote:
Do you understand how digital painting works? To replace the Marine logo, they merely have to place a white square over it, and then a Navy logo on top of that, and move it across the screen relative to the character. I could detail how each of the other edits are done, but let me assure you that editing something like the recent episodes of Bleach WOULD take considerably more effort than editing One Piece has so far.

Somehow I doubt that.

Quote:
It's not a symbol painted onto the hilt, it IS the hilt itself. Again, stop talking about stuff you don't have first hand knowledge of.

Oh, that clears it up a bit.

You know, there's always the option of keeping it... unedited (gasp). Didn't the swastika originally mean good will? Presto, excuse if the soccer moms start crying (if they give it a TV-PG rating, all the more reason for them to keep it).
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:33 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Bump Adult Swim to 10PM, run better shows in that timeslot. The restrictions of Toonami are too harsh. Fricking Drawn Together runs at 10:30pm.

Lemme guess...liked Ling-Lings new battle partner?

Yashouzoid wrote:
So uh, how did this turn into a BoBoBo hating topic?

*may be partial being a BoBoBo fan*

Anyway, its ratings aren't that good =(

Okay, fine. One Piece......of Crap.

There, happy with the One Piece bashing?

-------------------

As for the ratings, i'm not surprised. Ninjas, psycho dolls, and 4Kids finest hack job to date draws the numbers.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Unfortunately I kind of agree with you there. Saturdays are going to have The Boondocks and Stroker & Hoop lead them off, so say goodbye to an all-anime Saturday night... again...

Stroker and Hoop? Even 12 Oz. Mouse and Perfect Hair forever would be better than Stroker and Hoop. That show's truely horrible.

Quote:

Then I don't agree with the people who do programming for Adult Swim. I think a show should be truly adult for it to be aired on Adult Swim, and whether the programmers agree with me or not isn't the argument here.

I think that's unnecessary. Adult Swim is just a block of programing that runs from 11-2 Saturday nights, then then reruns, and traditionally shows anime on saturday nights. The "adult" in the title indicates that the shows are in some ways "adult" in content, but it's not "mature" swim, so there's no need for the material to be mature in nature (although certainly it could be, and at least some of it should be).

Quote:
Then there's The Batman, but that sucks. In any case, Zatch Bell, One Piece, and Naruto are performing strongly enough to keep Toonami afloat for now, so I don't think there's much to worry about.

And yet they're constantly subbing in movies and whatnot to the schedule. Now even LIVE movies. if they had enough shows they could run a stable block from at least 8-11PM, without any repeats during a single evening (ie no movies, and no double showings of the same Naruto episodes an hour apart, at least not without looser editing on the replay).

Quote:

Or you know, a teen's show, which right now, the closest thing to that is Toonami.

Or Adult Swim.

Quote:

From Comic Con, I think it was. A Viz rep said it would be Y7.

Did he know what he was talking about or was he just guessing? Not everybody knows everything about what their own companies are up to. Even paid community representative people are often half in the dark about things. I'm always skeptical of heresay, even from company insiders, when it isn't backed up by official statements.

Quote:

Somehow I doubt that.

It's just how it is. Look into it.

Quote:

You know, there's always the option of keeping it... unedited (gasp). Didn't the swastika originally mean good will? Presto, excuse if the soccer moms start crying (if they give it a TV-PG rating, all the more reason for them to keep it).

It's not the swastika, it the manji, the reverse swastika. It Is a symbol of good, and actually relates to the kanji for "Bankai", but we both know that's entirely irrelevant. To MOST people who are stupid, the kind who send in angry letters, it will appear to be a swastika, and they will get upset, and they will send letters, and the exec at CN, being dangerously phobic about the postal system, will wet themselves, and things will have to be done to "fix" it.

Quote:
Lemme guess...liked Ling-Lings new battle partner?

Yeah, what was her name again? Something to do with sex. That show's fithy. It has black barred nudity, overt sexual inuendo, all sorts of things that we wouldn't even think to ask for out of Cartoon Network in the 10pm block, and yet they get away with it just fine. So why can't Naruto have a little blood?

Quote:
As for the ratings, i'm not surprised. Ninjas, psycho dolls, and 4Kids finest hack job to date draws the numbers.

Actually, their finest hackjob to date is GI Joe. That show's fairly smooth. One Piece is an impressive editing example, I'm sure the company of the software they use put it on their demo reel, but it became a fairly horrid show as a result of the hacking and slashing.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni has officially ruined yet another ANN discussion. Seriously, man, get off your high horse and realize that you are wrong about 98% of the things you say. You are not some all-knowing god, and your opinions are not facts. So you don't like the Naruto dub. Whoopee. Everyone else seems to like it, so you're the odd one out. What, you think that because you don't like it, NOBODY likes it? Great logic, Einstein. That'll get you REAL far in life. Rolling Eyes And I highly doubt you are an expert on digital editing. I'd love to hear your error-filled tutorial on how to butcher an anime (the 4Kids way). I'm sure it's more than placing a white square on something and slapping on alternate text. But of course, since that's what you believe, it must be true. Rolling Eyes You need to leave ANN and get a life, because all you do is ruin every single discussion and you think you're superior over all of us. You're gonna have a rude awakening one day.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Stroker and Hoop? Even 12 Oz. Mouse and Perfect Hair forever would be better than Stroker and Hoop. That show's truely horrible.

Agreed...

Though they're running a 12 Oz. Mouse marathon on New Years -_-;

Quote:
I think that's unnecessary. Adult Swim is just a block of programing that runs from 11-2 Saturday nights, then then reruns, and traditionally shows anime on saturday nights. The "adult" in the title indicates that the shows are in some ways "adult" in content, but it's not "mature" swim, so there's no need for the material to be mature in nature (although certainly it could be, and at least some of it should be).

I think that if something like Bleach comes along where it's hard to put it in one specific place (too much content for Toonami, too teen oriented enough for Adult Swim), that there should be some sort of middleground block created that aims at teens, because right now there's Adult Swim (adults) and Toonami (kids and tweens). No teens.

Quote:

And yet they're constantly subbing in movies and whatnot to the schedule. Now even LIVE movies. if they had enough shows they could run a stable block from at least 8-11PM, without any repeats during a single evening (ie no movies, and no double showings of the same Naruto episodes an hour apart, at least not without looser editing on the replay).

Quote:
Or Adult Swim.

Bleach could run fairly intact on Toonami... from what my friend is telling me though, the second season might require more freedom...

Quote:
Did he know what he was talking about or was he just guessing? Not everybody knows everything about what their own companies are up to. Even paid community representative people are often half in the dark about things. I'm always skeptical of heresay, even from company insiders, when it isn't backed up by official statements.

If it helps any, Toonami's reps said it'd be Y7 too.

Quote:
It's just how it is. Look into it.

Sure.

Quote:
It's not the swastika, it the manji, the reverse swastika. It Is a symbol of good, and actually relates to the kanji for "Bankai", but we both know that's entirely irrelevant. To MOST people who are stupid, the kind who send in angry letters, it will appear to be a swastika, and they will get upset, and they will send letters, and the exec at CN, being dangerously phobic about the postal system, will wet themselves, and things will have to be done to "fix" it.

You know... if DBZ Uncut hasn't been taken off the air in all its nudity and bloody impalement goodness, then I doubt the soccer moms will raise a stink about a swastika-looking thing in Bleach, especially since I doubt it'll be popular enough to have the overreacting Christian parents after it.

Quote:
Actually, their finest hackjob to date is GI Joe. That show's fairly smooth. One Piece is an impressive editing example, I'm sure the company of the software they use put it on their demo reel, but it became a fairly horrid show as a result of the hacking and slashing.

It shouldn't surprise you, G.I. Joe was made for them.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
Ohoni wrote:

Agreed...

December 31 will be the worst day for Adult Swim if this is true. They'd better prepare for a big ratings drop for that night.
Ataru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
Though they're running a 12 Oz. Mouse marathon on New Years -_-; .
Thank god drinking, watching a ball fall from the sky, and screaming Happy @#~*ing New Years, most people won't care for a kid drawings about their parnets drinking probelms.

Any way, Bleach, if it does come to Cartoon Network (For the knucklehead, Toonami and Adult Swim), will face the same fan probelms as with Naruto. "Hey, they edit this out. Time cry about it over a Mt. Dew and forum.", and the ever popular, "The English dub blows chunks. Thank god I don't have to give up downloading fansubs."

Once again, who said CN was getting. It could very well be on 4KidsTV, TAN, G4, WB, or TFC (Funanimation Channel). Last check, there are other channels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:

Or you know, they could give it a late slot and loose TV-PG.

Didn't work for Naruto.

Quote:
It's a great show, but it's thematic material is about as intense as Evangelion

Eva was a kid's show too.

Quote:
It might be the same level of violence and stuff as Naruto and One Piece but have you ever considered that a show can be considered "adult" for reasons that *gasp* don't have to do with being innapropriate for children?

You know that, and I know that, but the network censors don't know that. As such, I frame the debate in terms as they understand them. IF a show needs edits, it's adult, and as such belongs on Adult Swim. If it can run with very minimal edits, then it's Toonami, simple, clear-cut.

Quote:
Inu-Yasha was put on the air back when Adult Swim Action was starving for content so they started airing shows that had been originally intended for Toonami.

Oh yeah, AS is much better for content now. How long until they start airing two eps of Bebop per rotation?

What do you mean "didn't work for Naruto"? It worked very well, in fact. Stop focusing on "it was editted" and start focusing on "they actually left in lots of violence and controversial stuff and everything vital to the plot". If you focus on the latter, you'd realize that they did an extremely good job with Naruto.

EVA was mismarketted entirely. If a show like Bleach is considered "adult" in America but "kid/teen" in Japan, that's one thing, but when the Japanese general public consider the show too innapropriate for children AND it contains lots of sophistacted material that only the absolute smartest of kids could possibly have a chance of understanding then you can say that the show isn't really a "kids show".

But Scryed wouldn't need any edits outside of a few easy bleeps (the type of minimal edits Adult Swim usually makes for heavier cursing) to go to Toonami. So there is a distinction beyond violence/sex/offensiveness/etc. that is made between what goes to Toonami and what goes to Adult Swim.

Adult Swim constantly reruning Bebop and other shows actually means that they've gotten MORE SELECTIVE with what they air. They've bought 5 new shows plus 3 new seasons of older shows and 5 specials plus 1 unannounced series in 2005 alone. Yes, the constantly rerun stuff, but if you look at what they rerun plus the type of new stuff they buy then you'd see that they've been trying to reach specific audiences (psuedo-mainstream college kids first of all with Fullmetal, Ghost in the Shell, Champloo, and the constant FLCL/Bebop/Trigun/etc. repeats as well as hardcore otaku with Paranoia Agent, Scryed, Gigantor, the movies/specials, and Evangelion while still trying to get the rabid fangirls off their backs with Inu-Yasha). The Adult Swim of today certainly wouldn't toss TV-Y7FV editted episodes of Pilot Candidate in the middle of the schedule.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
Yashouzoid wrote:
Ohoni wrote:

Agreed...

December 31 will be the worst day for Adult Swim if this is true. They'd better prepare for a big ratings drop for that night.

You've got to take into consideration, though, who the hell is going to be at home, watching Cartoon Network/Adult Swim on New Years Eve? No one that really counts, let me tell you Smile
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So you don't like the Naruto dub. Whoopee. Everyone else seems to like it, so you're the odd one out.

Not true. Most people, like me, see it as "good for a dub", which is not good, it's just adequate, and better than we've come to expect from most dubs. You're the only person I know who makes claims that it's super-great or whatever.

Quote:
And I highly doubt you are an expert on digital editing. I'd love to hear your error-filled tutorial on how to butcher an anime (the 4Kids way).

It's not hard, it's just some simple After Effects stuff (or a similar program). Any second year digital animation major could do it, it just takes a little work to do the more complex changes.

Quote:
I'm sure it's more than placing a white square on something and slapping on alternate text.

Not in the case of the Marines on One Piece it isn't. The best part is that in a program like AE you can then move that square and words around in synch with the object on screen, so that you don't have to redraw the mask on each frame.

Quote:

I think that if something like Bleach comes along where it's hard to put it in one specific place (too much content for Toonami, too teen oriented enough for Adult Swim), that there should be some sort of middleground block created that aims at teens, because right now there's Adult Swim (adults) and Toonami (kids and tweens). No teens.

See, I view Adult Swim (title aside) as teen to adult. Most if not all of the shows have definite teen appeal. It wasn't around when I was a teen, but based on what I DID watch as a teen I know I'd have been watching Adult Swim since I was like 10.

Quote:

Bleach could run fairly intact on Toonami... from what my friend is telling me though, the second season might require more freedom...

Again, don't comment on Bleach. Your responses make it obvious how little of it you've seen, and it completely devalues anything you say about whether the series is Toonami-ready. You simply aren't prepared for that discussion, any more than I'm prepared to discuss European tax rates. There's no shame in that, as long as you know when not to get involved.

Quote:

You know... if DBZ Uncut hasn't been taken off the air in all its nudity and bloody impalement goodness, then I doubt the soccer moms will raise a stink about a swastika-looking thing in Bleach, especially since I doubt it'll be popular enough to have the overreacting Christian parents after it.

As much as I wish it were true, I doubt you're right about that, and I even more doubt that CN would risk it.

Quote:

It shouldn't surprise you, G.I. Joe was made for them.

And yet was still apparently edited. Oddness.

Quote:

They know they can't beat Mtv anyways, they're probably just hoping for the stoner set.

Quote:

EVA was mismarketted entirely. If a show like Bleach is considered "adult" in America but "kid/teen" in Japan, that's one thing, but when the Japanese general public consider the show too innapropriate for children AND it contains lots of sophistacted material that only the absolute smartest of kids could possibly have a chance of understanding then you can say that the show isn't really a "kids show".

The Japanese like weaving deep stuff into their kid's shows. It has stuff for the kiddies, AND stuff for the adults who also like it, kind of like a good Disney movie. You don't need to understand all of it to enjoy it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4