• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jigoku Shoujo - Japanese broadcast (complete).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:11 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
I finished the first season recently also and I agree. There were some great episodes in the series, but far too many "meh" episodes. It got boring very easily, since almost every episode followed the same formula. I also hated that journalist guy. He was pretty pointless, for the most part. Fortunately great episodes weren't all strung together, so I was always being rewarded for getting through the boring ones when a great one would pop up. The series wasn't terrible though. Overall I gave it a Very Good (in other words a B-) rating.

I liked the journalist guy and his daughter though. They changed the plot a bit - instead of just the usual "I want revenge" material, Enma Ai and her companions found themselves their own antagonist. Plus some of the episodes were just about them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
eru-desu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote
dgreater1 wrote:
You'd be sent to hell for doing that so I think it would be better to let the Hell Girl do the dirty job. You forgot that most of the character that were sent to hell were people making life a living hell to other people. Although, I applaud the hell girl for finally choosing her fate. Well anyway, nothing goes right with vengeance, but vengeance is something that is hard to put aside (I bet everyone knows the feeling vengeance) Razz

revenge is an expression of pain. it's natural for hurted people to be wanting revenge. because they're hurt. but we must learn to forgive. revenge makes you EQUAL with your enemy but forgiveness puts you ABOVE him. anyway, I like jigoku shoujo so much! i haven't watch it yet but i'm already loco over it! she's even my wallpaper...watashi wa baka desu ne..haha...demo enma-chan kawaii desu...haay..yappari..Anime smile Anime smallmouth it's a BIT similar to deathnote..right? Wink
jetz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:35 am Reply with quote
I wonder if it's possible for you to like it without watching it yet. Is it the pretty pictures? Laughing

One similarity Jigoku Shoujo has with Death Note is the ability of a human to deliver judgment upon someone else. In Death Note, only Light and a few others can kill people by using the death note, but I think they mentioned in the anime that there were websites where you can request Kira to kill for you. In Jigoku Shoujo, regular people can visit the Jigoku Tsushin website and ask Jigoku Shoujo to deliver judgment (usually revenge) upon their antagonists.

That's all I can think of for now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sirgalahadthegreat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:56 am Reply with quote
Well, I finally found it: a thread on Jigoku Shoujo. I'm currently watching the second of it: Futakomori. And without giving anything wawy, i can tell you that (if possible) it's better than the first one. The second season covers even more depravity than the first, and changes the rules of the game by introducing character sketches if u will, of the servants of Ai Enma. A must watch, for sure.
As for the topic at hand, there's an amazing question that has been posed by the moderator. Is revenge moral? I don't think any of us can qualify to give the answer (though there are some who've tried), but I fully agree with what some of u have said, particularly eru-desu. Revenge can satisfy a human being temporarily, maybe even allow the person to enjoy a normal life. But I ask of u: if u have to go to hell because u sent someone else to hell, would it justify ur doing it, in the first place? Wouldn't that be a self-defeating exercise?
eru-desu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
I wonder if it's possible for you to like it without watching it yet. Is it the pretty pictures? Laughing

One similarity Jigoku Shoujo has with Death Note is the ability of a human to deliver judgment upon someone else. In Death Note, only Light and a few others can kill people by using the death note, but I think they mentioned in the anime that there were websites where you can request Kira to kill for you. In Jigoku Shoujo, regular people can visit the Jigoku Tsushin website and ask Jigoku Shoujo to deliver judgment (usually revenge) upon their antagonists.

That's all I can think of for now.

not only the pretty pics but i got reaaalllyyy interested w/ the synopsis...Anime smile
jetz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:12 am Reply with quote
I see. Then maybe you should try watching it if you're that interested.
nacchi1134

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:59 am Reply with quote
Hey, uh.. has any of U all watched Jigoku Shoujo Futakamori??I want 2 watch it but I haven't buy the DVD... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
sirgalahadthegreat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:35 am Reply with quote
Um, I don't think Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori is out on DVD yet, nacchi. The first DVD set contains the episodes from the first season.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:45 am Reply with quote
nacchi1134 wrote:
Hey, uh.. has any of U all watched Jigoku Shoujo Futakamori??I want 2 watch it but I haven't buy the DVD... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Keep an eye on your local Animax schedule.

sirgalahadthegreat wrote:
Um, I don't think Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori is out on DVD yet, nacchi. The first DVD set contains the episodes from the first season.

Not everyone lives in the Western hemisphere, Mr. America.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
sirgalahadthegreat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:57 am Reply with quote
Hey, Mr.Taiwan, you better watch yourself, coz I might just send a Polaris missile your way Laughing By the way, what gave u the idea I'm from America? Better watch first and reply later, hotshot.
nacchi1134

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I can't wacth it on animax cause it's so late at night...When is the repeat show??Oh N I can't watch it at morning until noon also cause I have to go to school...

So maybe the only way is 2 wait the DVD Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
theeonegook89

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:47 am Reply with quote
We should start a new thread for the 2nd season...other than that, I just finished viewing season 2 of jigoku shoujo (futakomori) and I must say...it left me somewhat....dissatisfied. Now don't get me wrong, the animation and story/plot was great, but mainly, the ending completely put me in disarray. Very few questions were answered, and the aftermath did not fulfill itself in its entirety. Overall, this series left me salivating for more and to just things up, speculation could rise for a 3rd season.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:36 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
I like the questions being raised here and the resulting discussion.

But what I really like about Jigoku Shoujo is that it goes one step further (a step which I think this thread should also take) and asks an even more pointed question: spoiler[Assuming that there is something that would push you towards carrying out revenge, Would you be willing to accept eternal, permanent punishment just to resolve a temporary problem?

That's something to think about. What kind of inhumanity would push you so far over the edge that you would willingly go to Hell sometime in the future, just so you can send someone else to Hell now? ]

And who does that make the real villain?
That is a question one could ask a suicide bomber before he/she pushes the trigger in a crowded market. But they are brainwashed into thinking they will go to whatever they call heaven for mass murder, so they probably wouldn't be so anxious to blow themselves up if they knew, or believed they were going to hell instead.
NocturnalUX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
theeonegook89 wrote:
We should start a new thread for the 2nd season...other than that, I just finished viewing season 2 of jigoku shoujo (futakomori) and I must say...it left me somewhat....dissatisfied. Now don't get me wrong, the animation and story/plot was great, but mainly, the ending completely put me in disarray. Very few questions were answered, and the aftermath did not fulfill itself in its entirety. Overall, this series left me salivating for more and to just things up, speculation could rise for a 3rd season.

I don't think a new season would develop anything worth watching, the ending pretty much resolved most pending issues spoiler[Ai reaches some sort of redemption in death and by saving that little boy from being lynched by the villagers. There is a clear paralell to Ai's fate that led her to embark on revenge in the first place and I thought it worked remarkably well. Ai's helpers are apparently now free to lead a normal life and seemed to have opted to go their seperate ways.]

As for the spoiler[very final scene with the cell phone message, hinting at a third season: that felt like a cheap co-opt. A bit like those horror movies that end with the monster waking up/zombie hand bursting through the grave/add cliche here.]
jetz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:10 am Reply with quote
Just finished Futakomori last night. People have been saying that it's better than the first season, but I think it only got better during the spoiler[last 5 episodes, when they brought Takuma back. He was a charismatic character - you'd feel sorry for him, and you'd want to know what happens to him.]

Oh and I think there is going to be a third season. It says so HERE.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4