• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The worst parents in anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:37 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
I was mainly talking about parents/potential parents who never get called out for their abuse.

Ohhhhhhh.

......in that case, I'll really have to give this some thought....Anime hyper
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quote
@HaruhiToy

Well, they certainly didn't help. However, I think that Ranma's biggest problem was that you could get him to do anything if you made it a challenge. That and his attitude toward girls.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:36 am Reply with quote
If you want to talk about horrible parents, or parent go watch umineko to see who wins the mother of the year award.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:13 am Reply with quote
^^^ he is also quite a pushy parent. I wouldn't put my son under that kind of pressure to save the world, at such a young age. But again, compared to everyone else mentioned he is a saint.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:14 am Reply with quote
I can agree with those who brought up Ranma 1/2's Genma Saotome as a bad parent.

I'd also like to add...

Rune Balot's father in Mardock Scramble: The First Compression, Balot had to spoiler[endure rape and incest committed by her father and that alone is one part to the many things that damaged her psyche.]

Cecily Fairchild of Mobile Suit Gundam F91 has the cream of the crop of bad parents; spoiler[her biological father Carozzo "Iron Mask" Ronah turned out to be nothing more than a monster with no regard to human life who attempted to kill his own flesh and blood in the climax of the movie, her mother is just a nut-case who seems like she's never around for Cecily, and her stepfather Theo is nothing more than a lap-dog for the Ronah's who deceived Cecily for years since she was taken from the Ronah family as a child and shot her boyfriend Seabook that left him seriously wounded.]

Reinhard and Annerose of Legend of Galactic Heroes have a father spoiler[who became a severe alcoholic after the death of his wife and their mother that his addiction has led to him going into debt and going as far as giving his own daughter to the Emperor as a concubine for money. I can fully understand Reinhard's anger and disgust at his own father for doing such a thing, especially when Annerose will face nothing but scorn and hatred by the blue-blooded nobles after she becomes the new favorite mistress of the Emperor.]
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
I disagree with this one. Many people think other children/kids are the spawns of the devil. But they treat their own like angels. So how he treated Renton has zero correlation with how he would treat his kids.

I disagree as well. I see him treating his child how he treated Eureka, which was pretty much like a princess, I believe Renton was a one off case due to spoiler[Holland's past with Renton's sister]. Even if his attitude turned back to how it was with Renton, Talho would put him in his place before it even started.

Then he would just beat Talho or threaten his child if he ever told her. Yes, I think he would stoop to domestic abuse.

And the whole thing with spoiler[Renton's sister] makes it even worse, because it makes him look like a child with a petty grudge.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
And the whole thing with spoiler[Renton's sister] makes it even worse, because it makes him look like a child with a petty grudge.

That's pretty much how he was with that situation, but the doesn't/wouldn't make him a bad parent. Also towards the end of the series he matures and shows more respect to Renton and Talho.

Ether way in the original series you don't see him partnering so it's difficult to come up with a definitive answer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

That's pretty much how he was with that situation, but the doesn't/wouldn't make him a bad parent. Also towards the end of the series he matures and shows more respect to Renton and Talho..

When you spend the first half of the series assaulting a kid half your age, that's not an easy thing to let go. That was the problem I had with E7 in general: the adults spent the first half being unlikable a-holes to the point where all development was too little too late.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I do agree that the way he treated Renton was appalling and at the end of the series I didn't like him any more than I did at the start... Which was not at all.

But if someone as dispicable as Heinrich Himmler (facilitator and overseer of the Nazi concentration camps) adored his daughter, any monster has the capacity to. Neutral
EricJ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@HaruhiToy

Well, they certainly didn't help. However, I think that Ranma's biggest problem was that you could get him to do anything if you made it a challenge. That and his attitude toward girls.

Although there is also Genma giving Ranma cat traumas for life by training him for the Nekoken, despite only reading about it in a book, and using him to test it out to see if it would work.
Victor B

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
No one is talking about the Sawatari parents from He is my master.
First, the mother absolutely wants Izumi to marry a pervert and rotten boy like Yoshitaka, and second, the father who is at the verge of incestuous thoughts about his daughters...
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Victor B wrote:
No one is talking about the Sawatari parents from He is my master.
First, the mother absolutely wants Izumi to marry a pervert and rotten boy like Yoshitaka, and second, the father who is at the verge of incestuous thoughts about his daughters...

Still not the worst parents in anime, although now that I look back really slimy but not terrible. Ladies and Gentle men I present to you the worst parent in any anime ever, is rosa ushiromiya from umineko.

Not only does this mother constantly go on business leaving her 9 year old Daugherty to take care of self days at time. Rosa loves to sleep around with said business partners in order to make her self feel better and forget she has daughter at all, or just shrug off her own self hatred for being a single parent. Rosa also loves to verbally and physically abuse her own daughter because of her estranged habit with the occult, magic and saying the word uu~ which does have a meaning, check the spoiler.

spoiler[ UU, UU~ is a chant that maria came up with her mother rosa starts acting bad and hitting her. In maria's mind it's suppose to stop the evil witch over taking her body and making her say/ do these horrible things to her.]

So in short Rosa is by far has to be one of the worst parents in anime ever. These are my reasons why, so any thoughts???

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Prince of Thieves

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I am somewhat trolling right now because I didn't read the last few pages(and I apologize), but I think almost all parents in anime are the worst. The reason being is they are almost never in the shows. Either they have died, are abroad in another country, or just randomly are never around.
So many animes would be so different though if the protagonists just went to their parents....
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:44 am Reply with quote
Prince of Thieves wrote:
I think almost all parents in anime are the worst. The reason being is they are almost never in the shows. Either they have died, are abroad in another country, or just randomly are never around.

Hmmm, I see where you are coming from but most parents have little relevance to a story so it is not needed for them to be heavily featured in a show.

With many shows now using teenage protagonists its not surprising that parents seem "not to be around" as I remember when I was a teen I spent little to no time with my parents and would go days without seeing them. That's not because they were bad or that I hated them, it was more to do with the fact they didn't need to play a heavy influence in my life at that point.

I feel if it is not brought to light that a parent is not around then they are not a bad parent as what they are doing is not bad enough to be mentioned.

Finally as a quick note, I do not think a parent who has dies can be the worst, most of the time it was not their fault they died Wink
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:26 am Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Hmmm, I see where you are coming from but most parents have little relevance to a story so it is not needed for them to be heavily featured in a show.

With many shows now using teenage protagonists its not surprising that parents seem "not to be around" as I remember when I was a teen I spent little to no time with my parents and would go days without seeing them.

I suspect your experience is rather unusual. Most of the kids who grew up with my daughter saw their parents daily.

Still, anime often goes beyond having the parents be busy. In shows like School Rumble they are entirely absent. The Tsukamoto sisters manage a fairly large house by Japanese standards on their own, though we never see them do any cleaning or other household chores beyond making meals. (I suspect Yakumo probably was fairly diligent when it came to housework; her efforts are just not shown.) Sawachika Eri's parents are absent as well for "business reasons;" she lives with a butler. Episode 8 shows how lonely and abandoned she feels.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4