• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Where can I rent good anime or buy cheaply

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aprince

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I have checked blockbuster, but the selection i bland. all they have is the movies, but i want the TV series what would be a good place to rent anime

also i spend about thirty bux a volume on anime, is there any place that sells them cheap? or should I just save up for a box set as you get more for the money

ex: ghost in the shell vol:1=30 bux
ghost in the shell complete set=100 bux
cost the same as 1-3 plus ten bux more
NeonGEvangelion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Bestbuy usually sells Anime at cheap prices. You can always rent Anime at any Blockbuster or Hollywood Video.
kid_gloves

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Best Buy sells their anime cheap (especially box sets) and i have found stuff there cheaper than you can find online.

Fry's is another good choice if you have one in the area.... they are considerably more rare but have an amazing selection and sell at good prices.

You might want to check out the local library to see if they have anime there to check out, alot of larger libraries have a decent selection.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:21 pm Reply with quote
If you don't mind buying on line, I'd recomend deepdiscountdvd, and Rightstuff (when they're having a publisher sale).

For renting, I use Netflix - they've got an awesome selection of Anime DVDs.
Master_J

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Best Buy is the retailor of my choice. They have a sizable selection and are usually great with prices. Bestbuy.com is also great, some dvd's are even under 10 dollars (rare, but still) Very Happy.
naushika

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:26 am Reply with quote
Bruce Lee wrote:

I agree. I use netflix also. You can have up to three dvds checked out at one time, and once you send one back, you automatically get sent the next dvd listed in your queue. Best of all, you can keep the dvds for awhile....not sure if there's a cut-off time, but I currently have had one out for about a month. o.O Highly recommended.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:03 am Reply with quote
Blockbuster or Hollywood doesn't have many anime. try local movie rental store. if ur lucky, sometime you will find a rental store that has lots of anime selection. bestbuy is the best place to buy anime dvds.
aprince

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:13 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Blockbuster or Hollywood doesn't have many anime. try local movie rental store. if ur lucky, sometime you will find a rental store that has lots of anime selection. bestbuy is the best place to buy anime dvds.

actally, both blockbusters have had about twenty anime, but they were all movies
Area88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:37 am Reply with quote
Check out Deepdiscountdvd. Click on the anime section and sort by lowest price.

Literally hundreds of titles priced at $5.99.
pythos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:53 am Reply with quote
Unless there's something you want to get when it's first realeased, watch places like Best Buy, Deep Discount DVD, Rightstuf, etc. for specials or sales. Also keep an eye for good coupons or for stores going out of business.

I also find DVD Price Search helpful to compare prices.
http://www.dvdpricesearch.com/
ShadrachAnki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:08 am Reply with quote
Bruce Lee wrote:

I also would recommend Netflix as a prime rental option. Plus with a Netflix account you can get things other than anime if you want to; the selection is excellent (although they don't have everything, they'll have most things). Anime Takeout may be another good option if all you want to rent is anime; it's a service similar to Netflix.

On the buying end of things, your best bet really would be to watch for online deals at any of the vendors mentioned. The selection at Best Buy can be good, but I've found it's also prone to being a bit spotty and you aren't guaranteed the variety you can get at a dedicated anime store. Also, the amount of anime the store has will depend on where you're located in the country. Still, it's worth it to check Best Buy if you think they'll have what you're looking for.

~Shadrach Anki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Buying online is definitely the way to go to get anime for cheap. However, be watchful with some sites, as many places online are selling bootlegs. The sites mentioned here are good, but if you check out any others, just keep in mind that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:58 pm Reply with quote
aprince wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

actally, both blockbusters have had about twenty anime, but they were all movies

that's what i mean. 20 anime is not a lot. my local rental store has more anime and asia shows then american movies. They even have hentai ^^ the bad thing is new movies/anime is $1:50 for only 1 day. old is 5 days.
also you can deposit $100 to rent 100 movies old or new. use online yellowpage to search, you may find some store like that in ur city.
naushika

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Area88 wrote:

Sounds too good to be true if you ask me...is this place legit? And are they stocking the real deal or bootlegs?
Pyoko

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:37 pm Reply with quote
naushika wrote:
Area88 wrote:

Sounds too good to be true if you ask me...is this place legit? And are they stocking the real deal or bootlegs?

Yes, they're legit. The $5.99 titles are mostly CPM ones with retail prices of $9.99, and ~40% off is not unusual. In addition to what has been mentioned, I recommend www.dvdpacific.com, which has some of the best prices around (at all times; no need to mess with sales or coupons e.g. RightStuf, usually their everyday low prices are on par with the sale prices at RS anyway.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1