• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimeOnDVD's Beveridge Leaves Mania.com for The Fandom Post

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:11 pm Reply with quote
This was pretty surprising to hear. AoD also used to be my go-to site for anime. I stopped going around the time it was sold to Mania. Never really like the layout of that site or its organization. I'll have to keep an eye on Chris's new site as I always found his reviews informative, but the site right now looks like it needs a little work. Maybe he can use the old AoD style? Wink
minamikaze

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:52 am Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

I'm Glad Chris B. is leaving AOD. Ever since Mania.com took over Anime on DVD, its became a facist,pacifist, self righteous mecca of a forum. The
moderators there act like a bunch of belligerant ass police officers, handing out infractions and bans for some of the most sqeamish of reasons, as stupid as taking your words out of context or if you post something inaccurate in a debate.
Chris B articles and reviews were some of the most fasicnating I've ever seen on the web. I'm happy for him.

Well, I don't know about people getting banned for being inaccurate in a post.

However I do remember that a pathological liar posting under the name TornadoTatsumaki got banned for continuing to post completely false industry information and claiming that he had been told this information by a voice actor. The voice actor actually had to appeal to the AoD moderators to get TornadoTatsumaki to stop attributing blatantly false information to him.

After that, TornadoTatsumaki continued to post completely fictitious information about the anime industry that was so far removed from reality it was astounding, and he continued to claim that it was all factual. It was difficult to tell if he was a troll or just completely delusional.

BTW, it seems like the moderators on the new site came from AoD/Mania.
DQBunny

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:04 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
I never liked the AOD forums, they all seemed like Elitist, if a product is not 100% correct it is wrong they through a tantrum type people there.

Good to see him leaving mania, now I have no reason to go there any more.

Yeah, I was a member of the AoD forums for years, as well as a manga reviewer, but even then it was super-hard to break into the elitist clique there. A big chunk of that is the reason why I left. I still lurk and comment from time to time, but I get all of my anime news here now.

(And on an unrelated note, you're in Mechanicsburg?? I was beginning to think I was the only person in the midstate who liked anime!)
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:05 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
But...but, the BDs doesn't have uncompressed audio!

Isn't that part of the point of having BD? Why bother with a BD release, when it's got DVD audio? Is it okay when we miss out on various extras that were on the Japanese video releases, too?

Quote:
And these subs don't have honorifics, and they switch the names to Western order!

I can live with that, if they keep the name usage correct (family name used when family name spoken, and not switched with given name). I don't mind it when honorifics are used in appropriate circumstances (they belong in anime with Japanese characters, but not in Baccano! and other series with Americans, Europeans, etc.).

Quote:
Granted they tend to mostly favor Nozomi's releases ...

Nozomi should be praised. They've done an excellent job with included audio/video/printed extras and packaging (solid boxes with thinpaks, allowing the use of lots of cover art). I don't think that I've seen them do anything wrong so far... The only thing that they've done wrong that I'm recalling at the moment is the lack of a BD release for Sora no Woto, since it is a HD production.

Quote:
... or import from Japan due to its massively superior packaging.

Packaging isn't the only reason to import from Japan. Their a/v quality often tends to be better (although they've screwed up plenty of BD-upscales, too), and it's nice to support the creators of the products that we love. There are also plenty of titles that haven't been licensed over here, too.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:07 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure who that new site is for. Definitely not just anime fans, but other niche too. If it covers different fandumbs, imagine all the fights! Many anime fans couldn't stand watching American TV, while American TV fans think other fans are nerds. Imagine when it starts covering the Twilight Saga! Beveridge better separate the forums with barb wires so other fans wouldn't find out what the other fans are saying. Laughing
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:10 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

Isn't that part of the point of having BD? Why bother with a BD release, when it's got DVD audio?
Can people who don't invest (tens of) thousands of dollars in high-end speakers even tell the difference? And surely improved video counts for something, doesn't it?

I know this news about Chris B's departure from Mania/AoD invites comparion between his former site and this one. Resist that temptation; don't turn this thread into a sitewar with mudslinging about the Mania admins/mods/users. If you have problems with them, take it to their site.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:37 am Reply with quote
Oh come on Zalis, you're no fun.

But yeah, regardless, I agree. The difference between BD and DVD is only found between the visuals, not the audio, by the average person. I'm not saying that the hardcore will not be able to tell the difference in audio. Of course they will, and they have every right to complain because that's what the hardcore do. But the vast majority of people won't be able to tell you what lossless audio means. Hell, I'm one of them. Play me a lossless file and a lossy file and I know I won't be able to tell the difference on my equipment. But, the fact remains that there are those that do have the equipment and can tell the difference, so bitch away! The rest of us will largely ignore you.

Anyways, this was the first year that I didn't attend the AoD panel at AB, mainly because last year was basically Chris saying that physical media was dead and there was no point in following it. Of course he's wrong, but I just didn't attend because there were more important things to see than the same old crap being spouted. Good luck to him in his new venture. Hope he can regain the luster he had before he sold to Mania.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:48 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:

Anyways, this was the first year that I didn't attend the AoD panel at AB, mainly because last year was basically Chris saying that physical media was dead and there was no point in following it.

Of course it's true, but it's funny hearing it from him, remembering how much he was espousing DVDs from VHS to make converts of people, when he was just starting out his site. Now he's telling people to drop it. Too funny. Laughing
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:39 pm Reply with quote
DQBunny wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
I never liked the AOD forums, they all seemed like Elitist, if a product is not 100% correct it is wrong they through a tantrum type people there.

Yeah, I was a member of the AoD forums for years, as well as a manga reviewer, but even then it was super-hard to break into the elitist clique there. A big chunk of that is the reason why I left. I still lurk and comment from time to time, but I get all of my anime news here now.

(And on an unrelated note, you're in Mechanicsburg?? I was beginning to think I was the only person in the midstate who liked anime!)

I've pretty much ignored Mania.com for about 2 years, thier obvious Elistism is still prevelant. Chris. B leaving for greener pastures means that this newer site has promise to grow as big as ANN has.

They are bigger,better nicer forums out there(like ANN,TGWTHG,AnimeNation just to name a few) where people won't treat you like an asshole just because they misunderstand you,think your someone your not(Where the hell did they get this idea your some sort of insider? Can't ever admit that thier wrong about anything. And reject you just because you aren't on thier side.

A Moderator's job is to be a coach not a damn police officer. Thats what I like about ANN, they only step in when conversations are getting out of hand. They don't have a fit if someone's wrong about something, you don't control what someone believes or punish them for being pretentious. (NOTE: It looks like I'm soapboxing so I'll go ahead and shut up and get back on topic now.
)
I'm actually considering visiting this site Chris is joining. Has anyone ever visited it before?
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

Isn't that part of the point of having BD? Why bother with a BD release, when it's got DVD audio?
Can people who don't invest (tens of) thousands of dollars in high-end speakers even tell the difference?

I haven't invested much in my speakers. They're a set of speakers designed for ProLogic 1 surround (so the two surround speakers are really poor) that I bought 20 years ago. I do need to buy new speakers at some point (but won't be spending anywhere near "[tens of] thousands of dollars"), but I haven't even started looking. A friend of mine got an excellent set of used speakers for under $2k, but I probably won't be so lucky. I've got a good (not top-of-the-line) 2-yr old Denon receiver that can handle 7.1, but I'll settle for a decent 5.1 setup. Even with new speakers, I might or might not be able to tell the difference between cheap audio and lossless audio.

Quote:
And surely improved video counts for something, doesn't it?

It does (and the HDTV that I bought a year and a half ago makes it worthwhile). It still feels like we're getting only half of a product with HD video, but not HD audio.

Quote:
don't turn this thread into a sitewar with mudslinging about the Mania admins/mods/users.

Since I've never had issues with the AoD/Mania mods, I have no need to do that. ^^
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote
For me AoD have always been my primary forums. I like how there's a certain level of politeness and discernment there. I think I will be moving to Fan Post now, since a forum is defined by its userbase, and it seems most of the AoD userbase is emigrating there.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm really surprised (and glad) that Mania did not shackle Chris with a more stringent non-compete.

Mania.com quite honestly was a failure. Demand Media never acquired all the websites it was planning on acquiring in order to build up Mania.com, and it most certainly didn't put a lot of resources into what they did acquire post acquisition.

There's an interesting lawsuit going on between Chip Meyers (the founder of Mania.com) and Demand Media where Meyers is claiming that Demand Media did not give him the resources he was promised in order to acquire more sites and further develop them.

It's a pity that AoD got rolled up in all that, but I'm glad Chris got some decent financial compensation out of it.

-t
Ranma824

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:02 am Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
DQBunny wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:

Yeah, I was a member of the AoD forums for years, as well as a manga reviewer, but even then it was super-hard to break into the elitist clique there. A big chunk of that is the reason why I left.

I've pretty much ignored Mania.com for about 2 years, thier obvious Elistism is still prevelant...<snip>...A Moderator's job is to be a coach not a damn police officer.

Not to be a downer or anything; but you guys realize that alot of the same staff and regulars are following Chris, right? (That means mods and those "elitists")

I can only speak for myself, but Mania has never felt like the old AoD; and I think alot of the community felt like that. So switching to something completely new will be refreshing.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:33 am Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
DQBunny wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:

Yeah, I was a member of the AoD forums for years, as well as a manga reviewer, but even then it was super-hard to break into the elitist clique there. A big chunk of that is the reason why I left.

I've pretty much ignored Mania.com for about 2 years, thier obvious Elistism is still prevelant...<snip>...A Moderator's job is to be a coach not a damn police officer.

Not to be a downer or anything; but you guys realize that alot of the same staff and regulars are following Chris, right? (That means mods and those "elitists")

I can only speak for myself, but Mania has never felt like the old AoD; and I think alot of the community felt like that. So switching to something completely new will be refreshing.

But it is not something new and refreshing.
As you yourself just pointed out it is basically the some people doing the same things. Even the site outside of the forums should have the same content as the parts of Mania that covered anime and manga. Fandom post has the same reviewers and the same news sources.

There might be a difference in the look but the content is about the same.
If you liked the previous Chris Beveridge forums you will probably like the new one. If you did not like the previous ones you probably will not like the new one.
Personally, I gave up on Fandom Post after a few days when it looked like it was going to be the same old thing all over again.
I will admit though that I might not have given it enough of a chance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote
It's a good thing he got off that rotting corpse. AoD was great, second only to ANN, but Mania has always been a laughable mess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2