• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids script writer on edits, new Gonzo co-production

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rigor Mortis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:58 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
minaki:
Quote:
WTF?! Gonzo and 4Kids? Wow, was that relationship REALLY mutually consensual, because it sure sounds like rape to me.

It's not like Gonzo's a quality company.

...What..... the...... Hell?!?!?!

Full Metal Panic, Samurai 7, Chrono Crusade, Last Exile, Hellsing TV, Vandread, Burst Angel, Yukikaze, Hellsing Ultimate, Black Cat, Gankutsuou, Kiddy Grade, Speed Grapher..... I could go on!

Where are the bad shows? Gonzo is one of the most consistently excellent studios out there!

Edit: Ok, FF:Unlimited, if that's all you've seen I guess you wouln't care for Gonzo Razz
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:04 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:

Just as much as 4Kids might seem to be out of touch with the hardcore anime community, the hardcore anime community is out of touch with 4Kids. 4Kids does not target the hardcore community. Much like their name suggests, 4Kids aims to adapt anime for kids. Kids aren't going to care about a 100% faithful translation, original background music, or Japanese cultural references. As long as they're entertained for half an hour, they won't care about what went into it. It's long past time that the community should have realized this and quit whining and complaining about it.
This is what makes 4Kids such a tragic company. All of the shows that they've licensed are already safe for kids to begin with. There's no reason for them to be as heavily edited as they are. The only anime they have that might actually need as much editing as it has may be One Piece, but even that could've got by with less editing without all the Americanization. And in this interview, 4Kids is asked what Fox's standards for censorship are, but 4Kids DOESN'T EVEN KNOW IT. They claim that their cuts are all in the name of Americanization and censorship in order to protect the oh so frail children of America who watch movies and read books like Harry Potter or Lord Of The Rings that have far more violence in them than any of 4Kids' licensed anime but they don't even know what Fox's standards are. If 4Kids actually knew what Fox's standards were, I bet that most of their dubs could probably get away with far less editing than they recieve. But what's most stupid of all is that 4Kids can take a show like Tokyo Mew Mew, a series that's perfectly safe for children with no objectionable content in it whatsoever and still manages to screw it up.

And you say that 4Kids isn't targeting the hardcore anime community, but instead they're targeting kids, but how many American kids do you know actually watch any of 4Kids' shows? Aside from the kids at the infamous 4Kids forum, I have yet to have seen many kids who actually watch any of their anime, aside from Pokemon and Yugioh. 4Kids may have had more kid viewers back in their early days, but they obiviously have less children viewers now, as children are becoming more aware of what anime is and just how bad 4Kids' dubs are through reading manga and watching other anime with less edited dubs like Naruto on Toonami. At this point unless they can somehow make a miracle comeback with their recent license of Pretty Cure, 4Kids NEEDS the hardcore anime community to survive because it's the hardcore anime community who could support them if they would at least release uncut DVDs. If 4Kids could take a hint from Funimation, start releasing quality uncut DVDs, start producing more accurate dubs, and actually release some half-way decent merchandise beyond TCGs, they would have a much better reputation among hardcore anime fans but still be able to cater their series towards children, and probably be a lot more memorable in children's minds than they are now. But they don't and only continue to get worse with their dubbing while other dubbing companies continue to improve, and look where their targeted children's audience is now. Are they watching badly dubbed versions of Mew Mew Power or One Piece on Fox? No. They're watching better quality dubs of anime like Naruto and Inuyasha on Cartoon Network. So, if 4Kids is continuing to dub anime series, obiviously 4Kids needs to step outside of their target audience and start aiming to please both kids and hardcore anime fans if they wish to survive.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
drgonzo369

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:53 am Reply with quote
Actually, 4kids and Gonzo have already teamed up and it's currently airing on 4Kids. You can scream "That doesn't count" all you want, but yes folks, G.I. Joe Sigma Six is indeed a 4Kids/Gonzo production, so it would only seem logical that they'd do another series together. In my opinion, Sigma Six and TMNT are the only shows worth watching on 4Kids as it is, as I find both highly enjoyable. And, dare I say it, I even like the new TMNT series over the old (and yes, I did grow up watching the old series..and thought that with the exception of a few episodes, it was horrid compared to the comic.)

Now, in regards to "real anime" and 4kids, I could have lived my life much easier without watching the bastardization of one of my faovrite shows, One Piece. A friend of mine who has been living in Japan for 5 years introduced me to the show when he came back one Christmas, and it is definetely one of my favorite shows. But then 4kids decided to get it and completely change it. Alot of the edits I can almost understand, with the FCC rules and all, but it's still a horrible adaptation. Of course, then I realize the name of the company, and it clicks. 4kids is exactly that, it's For Kids, meaning they view the edits and changes as nessecary evils to get that all mighty selling audience, children. And then i just change the channel or put on the raw One Piece vhs tapes/dvds that I have (or the fansubs, which I'll continue to download until I can buy the show subtitled) and all is right in the world.

Call me a hypocrite, but as much as I would like the people who run the companies to be Otaku (though not like Robert Woodhead, but that's a different story), it doesn't really surprise me that this guy has no prior interest in his project. To him, it's just another cartoon to get kids to watch and buy stuff. That explains alot in all honesty.

I really have no idea where I was going with that rant....just let my fingers do the talkin. lol
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:01 am Reply with quote
Actually, the '4Kids only has Pokemon and YuGiOh! doing well" arguement isn't true, as far as I know. If I remember right, the dub for Sonic X is the #1 watched show on the 'Fox Box'. I'm not sure how it compares to the other stations (I'm sure it's not doing as well as Nickolodean and Cartoon Network), but still, by no means are there 'no kids watching it'.

...Unless that's only the Sonic fans who watch it because they don't show reruns of SatAM anymore. (*sob*)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
IanC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:14 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

And dubbing is generally insensitive by nature.

I have to admit, i read that and ignored the rest of your post.
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:38 am Reply with quote
This is my opinion, but I kinda feel like we've all been sterotyped to some extenet in that interview. It's like theres only two kinds of people who watch anime, kids who aren't aware that the shows are Japanese, and the super-hardcore otaku who would be against EVERY English dubbed show whatsoever.
drgonzo369

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
We replace [the music] for both artistic and commercial reasons. I don't think it's any more or less insensitive than dubbing.

When it's commercial, it's usually not artistic. And dubbing is generally insensitive by nature.

As someone who'd worked in the dub industry for anime, I find statements like this highly offensive. Although not every company cares about their product, I know for a fact that the studio that I worked with (Coastal Carolina Recording/Phoenix Post Sound) put every ounce of energy we could into our work. I've been called at 2am many times to redub a few lines when it just "didn't feel right" according to my director. While it's true that there are some bad dubs out there (and that at one point they outnumbered the good ones by an insanely high ratio), there are those of us who bust our butts trying to make something that not only we would watch and be proud of, but that the Otaku would enjoy at well. I've been a huge fan of anime for 20+ years now, so *gasp* an Otaku contributed to a dub, and enjoys them (granted they're good dubs). 4kids and other companies might be "insensitive" with their dubs, but not all dubs are that way.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Rigor Mortis wrote:
Full Metal Panic, Samurai 7, Chrono Crusade, Last Exile, Hellsing TV, Vandread, Burst Angel, Yukikaze, Hellsing Ultimate, Black Cat, Gankutsuou, Kiddy Grade, Speed Grapher..... I could go on!

Hellsing Ultimate is being produced by Studio Satelight. Those involved with the production rights made damn sure to get them away from Gonzo after the TV series concluded. Speaking of which, Hellsing would be a fine example of a bad show from Gonzo. As would Burst Angel, Peacemaker Kurogane, Gad Guard, Gravion, Zaion, etc.

Gonzo tend to have a 50-50 success rate, I'd say. One year they'll produce some outstanding hits, the next year they're produce a bunch of crap. And considering last year was an overall good year for them, I wouldn't look forward to 2006 much. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
noisy_mouse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Hm, hijack, in reply to the person who's worked for dub companies....

I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but that was really nice to hear. My partner is an actor who has himself worked for dub companies, awful cheap companies who treat their actors badly and turn out absolutely awful dubs. (of many different cartoons, not just anime) Actually, he worked (very briefly) for the company that did the terrible dub of Ayashi no Ceres. To me, it all just helped reinforce the negative sterotype that I've have about english dubs in general.

Not that your post has made me reconsider, but it's nice to know that ther ARE companies out there who are commited to doing a good job. I dunno.
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:09 pm Reply with quote
As for Gonzo and 4Kids...they recently did Sigma 6. And a Transformers series as well. Cybertron or Energon, one of those.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Cybertron, which was actually Hasbro/Takara, not 4kids.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, it is sad to see confirmed by 4Kids that once acquired very little of the original title remains for the American viewer to appreciate.

It would have also been nice if the guy working on Sonic had some knowledge of the title. I guess that means that once acquired they are focused on localizing it without respect for the original property.

Very, very sad.....
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:14 pm Reply with quote
nice to see that 4Kids is still hopelessly out of touch with... well, everything and antagonizes the original fans.
konosuke15

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I wonder....if that 4kids idiot is readin this right now...I wonder pissed he must/must not be....

*sigh*

Sad, very sad...
Laruto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:59 pm Reply with quote
drgonzo369 wrote:
Actually, 4kids and Gonzo have already teamed up and it's currently airing on 4Kids. You can scream "That doesn't count" all you want, but yes folks, G.I. Joe Sigma Six is indeed a 4Kids/Gonzo production, so it would only seem logical that they'd do another series together. In my opinion, Sigma Six and TMNT are the only shows worth watching on 4Kids as it is, as I find both highly enjoyable. And, dare I say it, I even like the new TMNT series over the old (and yes, I did grow up watching the old series..and thought that with the exception of a few episodes, it was horrid compared to the comic.)

Now, in regards to "real anime" and 4kids, I could have lived my life much easier without watching the bastardization of one of my faovrite shows, One Piece. A friend of mine who has been living in Japan for 5 years introduced me to the show when he came back one Christmas, and it is definetely one of my favorite shows. But then 4kids decided to get it and completely change it. Alot of the edits I can almost understand, with the FCC rules and all, but it's still a horrible adaptation. Of course, then I realize the name of the company, and it clicks. 4kids is exactly that, it's For Kids, meaning they view the edits and changes as nessecary evils to get that all mighty selling audience, children. And then i just change the channel or put on the raw One Piece vhs tapes/dvds that I have (or the fansubs, which I'll continue to download until I can buy the show subtitled) and all is right in the world.

Call me a hypocrite, but as much as I would like the people who run the companies to be Otaku (though not like Robert Woodhead, but that's a different story), it doesn't really surprise me that this guy has no prior interest in his project. To him, it's just another cartoon to get kids to watch and buy stuff. That explains alot in all honesty.

I really have no idea where I was going with that rant....just let my fingers do the talkin. lol
Huh? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. 4Kids did not create Sigma 6, Hasbro and Gonzo Did. 4Kids just picked up the Dubbing and Television rights from Hasbro. Again 4KIDS DID NOT TEAM UP WITH GONZO TO MAKE G.I.JOE SIGMA 6, HASBRO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5