• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Officially Announces Bleach Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:36 am Reply with quote
I'm a little bit torn. Right now, I am up to episode 70 on fansubs of this show. I know that when you are following a long series in fansubs, you run the risk of having that show get licensed before you get to see all of it. Take a short show like Saikano for instance. I got to see all of that show before it got licensed but I still purchased it when it was released domestically because it was so good and I like to support the domestic companies. Bleach will probably get yanked from the fansub rotation soon and episode 70 may be the last one I get to see.

In the end, I will be happy as long as the show is released with a bi-lingual track and unedited (which it will be). Sure, I will be a little bummed that I won't get to see what happens in episodes 71, 72, 73, etc. but, hey, that's just the way it goes when it comes to these good, long series.

Last edited by BuffaloStyle on Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total
daisuke_wto

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:39 am Reply with quote
berlioz wrote:
this is hored viz should never touch bleach. it should have gone to Bandai or Geneon. they have much better actors for that type of show and the charators.[/spoiler]

Umm most voice actors do work for all anime companies I got to talk to Greg Ayres at Ny comic-con and he sed so him self fan subbing is the devil and I have vowed to never watch fansubbed anime again I used watch funsubbed anime and followed the fan sub rules stop watching after a show is licensed but usualy I would watch a whole series beofre it was licensed but with something like Naruto I A. dislike the dub BDislike how it's so cut and C. am so0o far ahead of where the show is in america. to wait for Naruto in english to catch up to Naruto now in Japan will take forever never mind waiting for the uncut episodes to catch up since only about 26 episodes a year will come out that's about 100 episodes in 4 years so am I supposed to waitsomething like 6 years befora I can watch Naruto again? no! am gonna continue watching the fansubs and that's why no matter what fansubs are bad and if Bleach does cost allot of money it will be due to the fact the few people who wil actualy pay for it VIz needs to make as much money off them as possible because there are millions just downloading the fansubs. If i do watch a fan subbed anime again it will be an anime I would of never bought that way even though I basicly stole the anime next time I might buy an anime I wouldn;t of before makeing the companies more money then they would of if I never downloaded the fan subbed anime
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Animedude35

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:02 am Reply with quote
It's also very funny that most of the people here that complain about the dubbed voices will probably never ever watch it dub anyways, so it just puzzles me that they will talk a lot of crap about dubbing when the majority of them will probably will never touch or buy the damn dvds for the dub.

You know what, I'm happy that bleach is license in a somewhat earlier stage at just about 80 episodes rather than like naruto when it's well over 170+ and that it will catch up to the Japanese releases sooner than later.

Congratz Viz on getting the license (At least it wasn't 4kids so be happy people!) Surprised
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:41 am Reply with quote
jxh2154 wrote:

As for One Piece... I haven't seen the show myself so I can't claim to be a fan, although I do feel quite sorry for those who ARE fans. However, one thing the (alleged?) failure of One Piece in the USA shows is just how foolish the 4Kids model is. One Piece gets trashed, and then Naruto comes in and gets rather positive reviews, especially when you consider how many deadbeat bootleg kiddies there were that were going to hate it not matter what Viz and CN did.

Historically, the 4Kids model has been very successful and profitable for "undeveloped" shows like Pokemon and YGO; but to apply such a formula to a "developed" show causes severe friction, not just among fans, but among parents as well.

jxh2154 wrote:

Naruto gets more and more popular (and gets an uncut DVD release with subs!), while OP just... well, to put it mildly, doesn't even begin realize its full potential. There is no reason for OP to be a middle level title given its broad potential audience and wide popularity. So the whole situation just proves what a fraud 4Kids is (too bad they still make a hell of a lot of money overall though), and that treating their properties better wouldn't result in the downfall of Western society, as they seem to believe. Not that they have any faith in society to begin with, because as Al Khan says, "kids don't read."

Though I am a fan of OP, and the 4Kids dub could be considered the "9/11" of Anime distribution, I think sacrificing a show like OP has improved the overall quality of dubbing from 4Kids competitors. If the OP dub had not been horrible, Naruto might have recieved treatment simmilar to Kojiki no Gash Bell; instead, we are given an extremely well-handled dub, likely to alleviate fears of "another One Piece" occuring. Now that Viz recognizes the benefits of having a "true" dub, we can expect the same for future properties of the same ilk.

Furthermore, companies like FUNimation have improved their game, as well as selection of Anime material, since the disastrous OP dub; it seems OP has inspired fear in many companies to produce higher quality material, and that's just better for the industry as a whole.

The big, bad, unanswered question of mine, though, is the nature of the growing relationship between Toei Animation and 4Kids Entertainment. Where is the incentive? Since Toei had a hand in the "birth" of FUNimation, and FUNi was responsible for presiding over a very successful DBZ run, I am curious as to why Toei is "cutting ties" with FUNimation and forging a stronger relationship with 4Kids. "Pretty Cure"'s aquisition is just the latest example of this trend; other empirical examples would be the transfer of DVD rights (exclusive of One Piece) away from FUNi (4Kids usual distributer) to Viz, as well as the "fleecing" of the OP license away from FUNi way back when.
daisuke_wto

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:28 am Reply with quote
I've noticed no matter how good or bad the japanese or english dubs are people always like the 1 thye heard first best I like dubs so am not one of those dub haters but I hate the Naruo dub but I love the FMA dub because i heard fma in english first the only anime i liek bothr equaly is the Slayers series
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Caloris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:00 am Reply with quote
This isn't a very good thing. It just means that the majority of fansubs will stop and they make better products then most of the anime companies ever do.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:13 am Reply with quote
Caloris wrote:
This isn't a very good thing. It just means that the majority of fansubs will stop and they make better products then most of the anime companies ever do.

It would be nice if you can elaborate on how these "fansub" group are making better product than anime companies. Rolling Eyes

Or are you saying because anime companies dub their series, it makes them inferior? I wouldn't even go as far as saying fansub make product at all. They rip the anime off the screen like bootlegs do and subtitle them. The only differences is one is giving them away for free while the other charging a price. Both are inferior to the high quality video and 5.1 sound on most anime being release today.

Last edited by darkhunter on Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:16 am Reply with quote
I am actually quite relieved the series has finally been licensed. *ducks to avoid thrown shoes* Seriously, this is exactly the kind of series the anime scene in North America (at the very least) needs and can only benefit from. I know a lot of people who aren't into fansubs who, after hearing about Bleach from moi, were anxiously awaiting the day they could go out and buy it themselves. It's that kind of series - word of mouth alone will drive sales up, hopefully paring down the damage done by those who do not purchase Bleach because they've already seen the fansubs or, worse, continue to watch the fansubs that some group out there may continue to churn out.

Bleach also, I might add, has a great balance between action, drama and humor that allows even non-anime watchers to appreciate, rather than belittle, the series after they've seen a bit of it. This is just my opinion, of course, but really, I would not hesitate to happily show Bleach to anyone (ok, kids under 10-ish are not allowed to watch because the word "child" should still apply to some segment of non-toddler population). There are a lot of series out there that I avoid telling people about or suggesting they buy because I know that, if they did watch, their perception of anime in general would be negatively influenced.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:18 am Reply with quote
Well the only people that don't want Bleach to license are the people that are currently enjoying their free fansub. It's hard to argue when it's free. And while the fansub probably won't stop being release illegal, these fanboy just have a problem with "dub" in general and feel like dubbing a series for network TV will somehow take away from their fandom or their pride or whatever they feel that is hurting them.

The anime pretty much caught up to the manga, so expect lots of filler.
super_dot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:10 am Reply with quote
Anime cry I know... Horrible.... and then they'll dub it and I hate the dubbed version... Seriously...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:11 am Reply with quote
I think Ocean Studios should dub the series.Their work on Gundam SEED was awesome(Atleast the un-cut one that aired in Canada),aswell as InuYasha.And the fact that they don't dub to fit a sertain Animation block Rolling Eyes

As I said before this series is likey to get the Bionix and [AdultSwim] airing,if Viz want's to pull the Naruto on us and give us a Edited version then their for Pre-Bionix(The 6-9 Anime Block)and Toonami Blocks.

Wow there's actually Viz Un-Cut Naruto DVDs...Haven't seen them yet here...
BabyD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:28 am Reply with quote
seriously tyhis all going to dependd on where they release it if they decide they want to release it straight to DVD it will be ok but if they let Steve Blum handle voice acting Game OVer america its going to suck....

....Steve is a great voice actor himself(doing voices for such people as Cell) but when he took control of Naruto it showed me he's not ment for the Big game Im sorry but the voice actor for brock should not be doing Gaara

now if they release to places such as cartoon network (not adult swim) and 4kids it will suck just like naruto does
BabyD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:30 am Reply with quote
seriously tyhis all going to dependd on where they release it if they decide they want to release it straight to DVD it will be ok but if they let Steve Blum handle voice acting Game OVer america its going to suck....

....Steve is a great voice actor himself(doing voices for such people as Cell) but when he took control of Naruto it showed me he's not ment for the Big game Im sorry but the voice actor for brock should not be doing Gaara

now if they release to places such as cartoon network (not adult swim) and 4kids it will suck just like naruto does

sorry for the second post my computer at school sucks
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:05 pm Reply with quote
super_dot wrote:
Anime cry I know... Horrible.... and then they'll dub it and I hate the dubbed version... Seriously...

Then don't watch it. Nobody is forcing you to watch the dub. This is the one advantage you get over the Japanese watchers, you can choose which set of voice actors you like better and listen to them. There will be a Japanese audio + subtitles option on the DVDs too.

(Also, all of the naruto/bleach "we have to wait" uncut people shouldn't be screaming. Viz said Gash Bell MIGHT get a uncut release depending on the edited DVD sales. Those fans are more screwed, but not as bad as one piece fans.)
Nionel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:57 pm Reply with quote
BabyD wrote:

Umm...I'm not exactly sure where you get your information, but the voice actor for Cell in DBZ is Daemon Clark, not Steve Blum, and the VA for Gaara in Naruto is Liam O'Brien not Eric Stuart

super_dot wrote:

I know it's been pointed out already, but if you don't like the dub, don't watch it. Though, I'd like to know how you know you hate the Bleach dub, if it hasn't even been released yet...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12