• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Getting banned from the chatroom :(

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fosterjd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:54 am Reply with quote
I realize I made a stupid error last month, in which I entered the chatroom and immedietley sending messaged to someone asking if they wanted to chat it up about anime. Unfortuantely, only moments later, I see the bolded rules on the bottom stating clearly that no such "spamming" is allowed and that I just need to wait for people to start talking. I realize it was a grave and utterly careless mistake and would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me the process in which I must go through to become unbanned? I really have the best intentions Very Happy

P.S.

I know all IRC bans are supposedly "temporary", but it has been several weeks! I really don't think my offense was THAT offensive, hmm?
camelot187757

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:35 am Reply with quote
Under different criteria the same problem has occured to me. The way it works is that for the IRC there are 45(?) ban slots. When you are banned you are placed from the top and with every concurrent ban you work your way down. The lead moderator has stated that within this time period it actually takes 5 months in order sucessfuly move your name(IP) from the top to the bottom to being removed entirely from the list. So in all actuality the temporary aspect is less than stellar.

The IRC chat however is ususally silent for one reason or another so to wait for others to begin chatting can be tiresome and monotonus even if you fell like discussing something woth someone or even to simply shoot the breeze over nothing. However it is apparently against the unwritten rules to PM someone in the chat and why this is I don't know.

I have actually been banned for almost 2 months for "similar" happenings and I agree that to ban someone for either mine or your sort of offenses are indeed irrational and extreme. However I believe the both of us may have to wait the 5-6 months until are bans have finally dissipated from the list.
Asuka

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Foster, try connecting again. I just cleared off a majority of the ban list. IRC doesn't really allow for good tracking of the relation between an IP and a name, which is why bans tend to stick around for a while - We can't remember who did what.

The whole thing Camelot went on about about how bans take 5 months is a load of nonsense. Normal bans set on IRC are permanent, meaning they don't get removed until someone removes them. Generally the ban list gets cleared of older bans every month or two.

Given I cleared the majority of the bans away, you should be able to connect now. If not, I sent you a PM a few minutes ago, so you can respond to that if you still have trouble. Remember that you MUST be logged into the forums to connect to the chat, or else you'll get a message that you're banned.

Edited response: Whenever somebody gets around to it =P Sometimes it'll be 3-4, sometimes it'll be less. There's no real set amount of time, just happens when it happens. There are exceptions, such as when people are especially annoying, offensive or otherwise deserving of removal from the IRC channel. But for most bans they'll be removed within a few months maximum.

Last edited by Asuka on Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Asuka wrote:
Generally the ban list gets cleared of older bans every month or two.

Actually, no. Not quite that often.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1