• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Things you don't like about anime you enjoy.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
Touma wrote:
Somebody in another forum told me that the puppy spoiler[was not hurt, and neither was the girl]. Is that not true?

No. spoiler[The bullies beat the puppy to death, which if I remember correctly breaks Lucy, causing her to kill the bullies.]

To be specific, spoiler[the puppy that is killed is in a flashback of Lucy's, and is NOT Mayu's puppy Wanta (who is not harmed at all in the series, and neither is Mayu)].
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Kaname Chidori from Full Metal Panic was my first encounter with a violent, female "tsundere" character, and I hated her abusive behavior so much that it took me out of the show.

Over the years I realized that violent female tsunderes are a huge thing in anime, some people even seem to have a fetish for them (masochists?). I've gotten used to them, but I still don't find abusive slapstick very funny. And I still don't like Kaname Chidori. Souske Sagara is just trying to protect her, and he never deserved to be treated with that amount of malice.
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote
This is kind of a broader example, but I like many titles in the "Shonen fighting" category (Dragon Ball, One Piece, etc.). What I've quickly grown to dislike is the way most anime "adaptations" do these titles. Because they're not as concerned with "adapting" them (taking out what doesn't work for a different format, changing writing they think is iffy) as they are "making the manga move." Which results in horrendous pacing and often wildly inconsistent animation, since fans will eat them up forever.

Anime in general seems to have this problem, but I've noticed it affects that genre the most.
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Clannad + AS has some really amazing slice-of-life elements that make the show stand above and beyond the others, but a lot of scenarios are over-the-top and I feel they don't really belong. Story arcs that include spoiler[Fuko, Kotomi and the dorm lady] aren't really all that enjoyable to me. Also, the spoiler[over-dramatized ending of After Story where Ushio suddenly became sick] took me out of the experience. As a matter of fact, Little Busters! took all the parts of Clannad that I didn't like and amplified it 10x. Needless to say, I didn't enjoy that 2-cour series at all, but I'm hoping for some kind of redemption for the latter half of the story.

Death Note ended pretty much in a way that I would consider the "right" way to end it. However this show, along with the vast many of others, uses a storytelling style which I dislike very much. So I'm not picking on this show specifically, but its theme is pretty clear-cut. The whole notion of "if you play with fire, you're going to get burned" is one of the most bothersome themes I have ever come across, and it has bothered me since childhood. It's authoritative, overbearing and denies any and all kinds of cleverness the characters within come up with in order to deny or overcome their predestined "fate." It's like the author of the story is trying slap the viewer in the wrist while saying, "NO! Don't try to do that, okay? Look what happens when you do. See? Bad! So don't!" It's not exactly a bad theme to bring up, but it feels too artificially contained. This is what makes...

...The main plot of the Steins;Gate Movie troublesome for me. Granted, I haven't actually watched the movie yet, but I have a rough understanding of the main plot and it looks like they took what I liked most about the show and put in an overbearing, unavoidable "consequence" for Okabe's actions, which I dislike. I like the original show because it wasn't afraid of toying with the idea of infinity and that something positive could actually come out of it for a change. It was far more refreshing than seeing stories that deal with the pursuit of:

A) Immortality
B) Infinite Wealth
C) Infinite Power or
D) Anything with extremely large numbers

end with misery, misfortune, pain and/or death. It's like the author's brain broke down trying to contemplate the implications of such states of existence and had to force a hard limit on how far they can run with the idea, else you get bad things happening to you.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Naruto - Honestly, pretty much everything about it except for the villains (the villains are consistently awesome, varied, and diabolical). There are too many characters, it panders way too hard to the underdog crowd (even by shōnen standards), and after enlisting in the military myself, I came to seriously wonder how Konoha's functions, given how young its juniors are and how undisciplined they can be. Naruto himself is way too much of an oblivious idiot to survive in a military setting. He also has this annoying tendency to win battles through sheer steadfast determination™, even as some other characters do remark that the world isn't as cut and dry as he thinks it is. It came to a point where the series is most interesting when he is not around.

Also, spoiler[resurrecting nearly every past ally or villain. No! Bad Kishimoto! Bad]!

And don't get me started on the [expletive] flashbacks! Jesus Christ...

It's a shame, because the world he created is interesting, and the idea of a more militant take on ninja is very enticing. It just suffocates under its shōnen tendencies.

And then, there is the inconsistent animation. I don't think I need to really go into this too much, because anybody who's ever watched Naruto at length knows what I'm talking about. This is most apparent in the over-prevalent fillers, but it leaks into the canon episodes as well. Speaking of fillers, while clever in design, it is still a really bad idea to integrate them into the canon arcs because it becomes very difficult for the viewer to skip them if they want to. This is even more of a problem when you consider that Naruto has the worst filler-to-canon ratio of the "Big Three". Even with its flaws in character development and story execution, I would consider owning it, but they're going to have to give it the Kai treatment first. I'm not dealing with it otherwise.

In spite of all of that, I still look forward to reading the latest chapter every week. I don't know what it is; maybe there's some charm here. Maybe I just want to see it through, since I've been following it for about eight years now. It was my favourite for a hot minute before I realised all of the above and it was superseded by much better shows.

One Piece - I'll give it to you straight: I really love the shit out of this show. Everything it has in common with Naruto is executed far better. The villains are just as awesome, but have the added effect of drawing the hatred of the viewer, like any real good baddie should, at least if he or she is not going to have any redeeming qualities. Ironically, though being the longest, it also has the best filler-to-canon ratio of the "Big Three". There are only two qualms I have with it:

1. The protagonists, especially Zoro, take way too much damage. I swear to God, he loses, like, seven pints of blood whenever he fights someone. Being an ordinary human. albeit with some respectable sword skills, he really should be dead by now.

However, there are positives to this, the most obvious being that not every protagonist, not even the stronger ones, can outmatch every opponent that they fight. This allows for most characters to remain necessary, or at least to feel as if they are, and that's great in a long series with long arcs and dozens upon dozens of characters.

2. Still, those long arcs are a weakness: I can appreciate that they are drawn out not by powerup sequences, smacktalk, or an overabundance of flashbacks, but the fights themselves, as well as the lead-in to them, do not need to take as long as they do. If each arc could be shorter and a bit tighter, the series as a whole would probably be near-perfect.

Clannad: After Story - Very strong as a dramatic tragedy, but brought lower by its pre-Ushio arcs, which felt rather contrived. I'd still rate it a 9, but these days, I do feel that Steins;Gate is wholly deserving of the top spot in the ANN bayesian rankings by comparison.

Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing - I actually thought this to be a fascinating political war drama, and for that, I found it more enticing than its predecessor. Unlike its predecessor, though, it falls into a couple of traps, the most obvious being Fam's naïveté. It's basically the old, "Why can't everyone just get along?" trope. Affording due credit, though, it does allow for a decisive final battle in spite of this.

However, as we go in to that final battle, you wonder at precisely what spoiler[Luscinia was aiming for. I can appreciate a series that can make its villain's intentions ambiguous, but the way in which this was executed made him feel as if he was playing the villain for the sake of playing the villain.]

Also, spoiler[Sorūsh should have died. Not because I hated him or anything, but because he was supposed be a tragic and unfortunate casualty of war--the price Ōrang was to pay in order to switch sides and stay true to his ideals. Sorūsh's resurgence greatly cheapened that, and punctuated the series' weakness in trying to find a happy ending for everybody.]

It would have helped had spoiler[Claus and Lavie made more than cameo appearances, or simply not appeared at all. Dio's presence was welcome simply by virtue of how awesome Dio is, but I question the necessity, at this point].

Sword Art Online - My sentiments on this are in line with most: strong first half with a credible love story and a premise that allows for some life-threatening conditions--strong enough, at least, that spoiler[Kirito's penchant for being overpowered and attracting several hapless females aside from Asuna can be overlooked]. After that, it gets a little ridiculous. I really don't mind Suguha as much as most people seem to, but holy fudge was that a terrible villain for the second half!

Also, there are some annoying moral disparities here, the most obvious being spoiler[the difference between Kayaba and Nobuyuki. The latter is a complete fuckwit of a pervert, and I don't think anybody was really sad to see him owned, but the former was indirectly responsible for the deaths of hundreds of people. Despite this, by the end, Kayaba is portrayed as some kind of hidden protagonist, if not some near-messianic figure.]

Yeah, this really would have gone over much better had the second arc never happened.

Freezing - I just watched this, so this is still pretty fresh in my mind. Initially sceptical of its status as another fanservice title, with Funimation predictably focusing on all of the tits in its promotional campaign for it, I found it to be somewhat credible in the sense that there were no grossly perverted characters to speak of, it avoided a lot of the stupider catfighting aspects of harems and love triangles, and was boldly visceral. One can almost forgive the fact that its backstory, like that of any other busty brawler, is there to serve as an excuse for lovely young women to blow each other's clothes apart.

All of that said, it's still rather disjointed: whether or not you can appreciate the seamless transition from high school-esque drama to real-world crisis, the final arc still feels rushed and inconsistent, especially in regards to its animation quality and its exposition. Certain battles that were known to occur had to be resolved off-screen because there simply wasn't enough air time to cover them.

Overall, Satellizer is a very satisfying character, but the one annoying thing about her is that spoiler[she never loses. Why? Simply because she is resolved not to lose, ever. It reminds one of Naruto, actually]. Points for giving her spoiler[a suitably tragic backstory to justify her phobia, though--they could just as easily have made it some arbitrary character trait in order to be "kawaii"].

As I stated in the series thread, I wanted to give it an 8 for being a bit different from, and more dramatic than, most ecchi, but that final arc just didn't do it for me, so I gave it a 7 instead.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:45 am Reply with quote
I'm not going to list titles, because for me, there's a pattern which seems to take over most anime I watch, and it made me realize there's an issue with many titles.

This is the "closure", the ending chaos that usually takes a stellar anime and makes it mediocre within 1 or 2 episodes. It just seems to me writers can't figure out how to end their own series without screwing it up.

I know there's the manga side of it, without guarantee the anime will sell well, forcing some ridiculous closing episodes, but this is just not a valid excuse to me.

I'd rather have an open-ended series than one which either ruins a good story or pulls something out of the air and derails the entire story in the hope further episodes can be made.

This has plagued anime for nearly 2 decades now. I would have thought by now the writers would have figured it out.

This is also the reason I don't appreciate anime made from manga, especially ongoing series. I can't say we'll get "original" titles made anymore, but if the industry is going this route, they should stick to it instead of trying to "close" every series.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:43 pm Reply with quote
First one to come to mind is the one-sided yuri that's played for laughs in Soukou no Strain. It just doesn't fit the serious/depressing tone of the series. If they had presented it in a serious way like the rest of the series, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

As much as I liked Xam'd, it did a little too much jumping back and forth between characters.

[/spoiler]
RGaspar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Very nice thread.

I can't stand the minute long static shots of Neon Genesis Evangelion. There might be just like 3 of them but...I didn't like them the first time, I didn't like them when I re-watched the series and I'm sure I won't like them in the future. They are too long to be effective and they ruin the pace. A way to save some money.

Otherwise, I love this series and it's the one that got me started.

Looneygamemaster wrote:
This is kind of a broader example, but I like many titles in the "Shonen fighting" category (Dragon Ball, One Piece, etc.). What I've quickly grown to dislike is the way most anime "adaptations" do these titles. (...)

Anime in general seems to have this problem, but I've noticed it affects that genre the most.

I get what you mean. I think only recently I've started to notice it. Sometimes you can read the manga page by page and see how they animated exactly the same thing, with the same "camera" angles and shots, dialogue and sequence of events. The Dragon Ball anime just added scenes but rarely changed anything from the original source.

yoshiyukiblade wrote:

Death Note ended pretty much in a way that I would consider the "right" way to end it. However this show, along with the vast many of others, uses a storytelling style which I dislike very much. So I'm not picking on this show specifically, but its theme is pretty clear-cut. The whole notion of "if you play with fire, you're going to get burned" (...) It's like the author of the story is trying slap the viewer in the wrist while saying, "NO! Don't try to do that, okay? Look what happens when you do. See? Bad! So don't!" It's not exactly a bad theme to bring up, but it feels too artificially contained. (...)

Lol yeah, the ending of Death Note felt a bit cheap to me. And I enjoyed that anime (it deserved a "good" rating, imo) but after all the crap Light's been up to:spoiler[ (indirectly) killing his own father, ruining the life of thousands for his own selfish interests, and going as far as winning over his arch-enemy;] I was expecting some sort of "Bad ending" with thespoiler[ evil guy ruling over all. After all he was intelectually superior to anyone (up to that last episode)]. The actual ending felt so preachy and conventional that it killed the rewatch factor for me.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:15 pm Reply with quote
RGaspar wrote:
Very nice thread.

I can't stand the minute long static shots of Neon Genesis Evangelion. There might be just like 3 of them but...I didn't like them the first time, I didn't like them when I re-watched the series and I'm sure I won't like them in the future. They are too long to be effective and they ruin the pace. A way to save some money.

LOL I honestly thought the video froze when I first saw those scenes! The spoiler[Kaworu beheading] was the most ridiculous one. Laughing
Pacal II

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:19 am Reply with quote
I thought it might be interesting to write about what I didn't like about the animes I wrote down in the "Top 10 best" topic. So here it goes:

Black Lagoon – Yeah… I can’t think of any, so let’s just go on to the next ones Razz.

Cowboy Bebop
- I haven't seen it for quite a while, but I remember that at first four or five episodes were kind of boring for me. So I'm pretty sure the time it took me to watch those episodes was about two times longer than watching the rest.

Clannad
- some moments in the first season, but mainly the art. To my all the heroines had basically the same face and eyes, with a different hair set and all of them kind of annoyed me at the beginning. But after a couple of episodes I stopped being concerned with that.

Ghost in the shell - The main characters. Compared to the anime in general, its themes, plot, style and some of the side characters I though the main cast was kind of bland. I couldn't really get attached to any of them (maybe except for Batou).

Ergo Proxy - Some episodes seemed a bit too heavy to me, so it was kind of hard to really get immersed at times, but these would be maybe 3 or 4 episodes like that.

Higashi no Eden
- The films. The anime was great but then the films changed the pase quite a bit. I also like it when shows don't explain certain things but here it just seems like some themes were suddenly added and then weren't developed and the creators didn't explain possibly because they lacked time.

Steins Gate
- I've watched both the anime and the visual novel. The visual novel was actually better in many ways, because it went into more details about the science behind the whole time-traveling. On the other hand it's the typical visual-novelly themes that I didn't like. The story just seemed to detach from the main plot towards the side plots about Okabe's relationship with all of the girls, and most of these girls annoyed me. But Kurisu is just super awesome, so let's just say in the end I'm happy Wink.

NGE – Shinji’s whining. Though with such a sorry excuse for a man as his dad, it’s no wonder he’s like that.

Monster
– I’m used to watching shorter shows, so it me it seemed like the show went on and on with no real plot progression at times. I also seemed to side-track quite often, which would seem to me at that moment like kind of wasting time.

Of course I’ve really loved all of these shows, and these are pretty much the ONLY bad things I could say about them. Many of these are also well justified when you think about it. Monster’s side plots actually proved to be important as time passed by, without Shinji’s whining Evangelion wouldn’t be Evangelion, Okabe’s interaction with the several heroines was actually crucial plot-wise and so on.
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:31 am Reply with quote
My beloved Nanoha came up in conversation just a bit ago and it reminded me of this topic. Yeah, s1e3... ouch. That thing is painful.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:34 am Reply with quote
I find the abundance of cultural stereotyping to be an annoying feature of Space Brothers, though I quite enjoy the show overall. It was humorous at the beginning to see the portrayal of Houston, but we have now seen stereotypes of African-Americans, Indians (the Asian kind), Texans and Americans in general, and most recently Russians. Not everyone in Moscow has a refrigerator full of vodka bottles and a house decorated with nesting dolls. The recent spoiler["Buddy Gorilla"] character is especially disturbing to this American viewer.
StaticAge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:39 am Reply with quote
The first season of Inuyasha was awesome and full of mystique and potential that degenerated into repetitive and not very creative episodic story telling. The last season was great stuff too. I still like the show a lot, but that first season was just so pregnant with possibilities, the rest of the series is almost a shame.
junmaedaisjesus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:52 am Reply with quote
Higurashi- This anime is seriously amazing and one of the best ever, but the animation in the first season... two words: lollipop head. It was absolutely ridiculous and deters a lot of people from holding on for Studio Deen's impressive rendition of Kai.

Anohana- That moment in the first episode where Menma sits on Jinta's lap and it's sort of implied that spoiler[he gets erect/etc from her rocking back and forth on his lap] just completely ruins Anohana's chance at being one of the most perfect anime to show people who don't really watch anime. Seriously, what did that moment give us other than resentment for the main character? Unnecessary sexual undertones in anime are the reason why I can't show a show like Anohana to somebody like my sister.

Myself;Yourself, Selector Infected Wixoss, Da Capo, Canvas 2, etc- Another reason you can't show anime to non-anime watchers: incest. I have a variety of friends from all over the world who are non-chalant about what they'd like to see in anime from boobies to lolis, but who exactly is it who's saying "We need more incest/implied incest/they just grew up under the same roof so it's only incestuous in formula and not equation!"? Seriously.

High School of the Dead
Boobs. WTF.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:03 am Reply with quote
I remember hearing that AnoHana was intended to be more ecchi at first and quite possibly a comedy, so I guess that scene just snuck in there.

As for who's asking for all the imouto, it's the otaku who buy things. With MangaGamer putting out Imouto Paradise, I'd say it's safe to say the train's leaving the station western-side as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3