• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gatchaman Crowds Episodes 1-7 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:28 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
The review does not encourage me to watch this. It tells me that what I'll find is a poor show, laden with a lame protagonist, which will transcend its lameness should I suffer the show long enough (presumably 7 episodes) and that this transcendence comes not from flaws of the show being rectified (eg:the protagonist) but from Anime Stockholm Syndrome kicking in.

In essence, the review tells me that the show is devoid of any and all merit but if I force myself through 7 eps of it I'll learn to love it despite that.

I think that I'll pass. Thanks for the review, but I would have preferred that you just state outright that the show is devoid of merit and not worth watching unless its stated & somewhat-unique trappings appeal to me, instead of compelling me to "...puzzle out [your] internal logic..." on that. Rolling Eyes Wink

Wow its almost like you didn't actually read the review at all.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:17 am Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
This is so true. I really disliked her at first, but by now she's looking to be one of my favorite characters ever. She acts like a hyperactive dumbass, but when you get down to it, she's actually very smart and her presence is addictive.

When I first started watching Crowds, I took an instinctive disklike to Hajime, not because of her character but because of Uchida Maaya's performance in the role. I have now totally turned around in this judgement, especially after her conversation with spoiler[Berg] in episode seven. Uchida actually manages to modulate an entirely unmodulated character. It's really a tour-de-force performance given the character she has been given, though the obvious star is still Miyano Mamoru. Hirano Aya has been pretty funny as Pai-Pai, too.

Thinking about this show in the context of Nakamura's other work makes me realize that his shows nearly always include a theme of ordinary humans being totally unaware of a parallel world that influences their lives. Only Kuuchuu Buranko, the only adaption he has directed, does not fit this mold. From the supernatural world of the Apothecary stories, to the "financial district" of [C], to the alien invasions of tsuritama and Gatchaman Crowds, Nakamura's original stories all portray worlds where potentially dark forces are operating just outside the consciousness of humans.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Never heard of this show until this review. Will need to watch this series.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I'll watch original first, then watch this to compare in terms of..... well, whatever is similar.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I'll watch original first, then watch this to compare in terms of..... well, whatever is similar.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:46 am Reply with quote
I think aside from one or maybe two shared non-main characters, this has almost nothing to do with the 70s series beyond bird transformations.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:

There is no point in watching the older series, the new one has almost nothing to do with it, which is good. I watched the older series when I was a child, but it didn't impress me back than. And I seriously doubt present-day audience, apart from those who feel nostalgic about it, would enjoy the old version.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched the original yet and probably planning not to. However, Hajime is one of my favorite characters of this season and I just love her energy. The show itself is also unique imo and I like the part regarding its technology and artwork along with the OP song.

Some parts I had problem with is a bit of lack in diversity regarding the villain as well as its origins regarding some of the more prominent characters in this show. Overall, still enjoyable for me though so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching the first eight episodes. I have found it to be enjoyable.

I also like Hajime, though I did like Haruhi too, so maybe it is just me.

So I will eagerly await the remaining episodes.
Spleen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:22 am Reply with quote
Show of the season for me (unless you count Attack of the Titans which started last season). I love Hajime's character - for me her personality, and by extension the show, is summed up during the exchange after she reveals herself in the shopping centre:

Katana bloke: You can't just reveal your identity like that!
Hajime: Why?
Katana bloke: ...

I always enjoy it when a character questions the conventions of the genre like that. I've seen others criticise the fact that she comes straight into Gatchaman and shows them all up, as unrealistic. But in a way this is a show about questioning authority and convention - Paiman's obvious deficiencies as a leader show that Hajime is right to question what they're doing.

I'm surprised the reviewer felt that Hajime might annoy some. The character that has really grown on me is OD. At the beginning I thought he was just an annoying camp stereotype. But the genuine side of his personality gradually shows itself over time - there was a comment by Paiman I think, "you're the one that holds this team together" that made me realise it.

The GALAX social network is also a very interesting concept and one that would probably support a story on its own.

Incidentally, I noticed two transgender characters - OD and Rui - which is the third the reviewer refers to?
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:17 am Reply with quote
Spleen wrote:
Incidentally, I noticed two transgender characters - OD and Rui - which is the third the reviewer refers to?

The first character that came to mind for the third in that group is Berg Katze...
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm rather surprised the usual fujoshi users here in ANN hasn't latched on to this. This has way more fabulous content than Free, and Mamoru Miyano is in one of his most especially eccentric role since Okabe in Steins;Gate. Of course one has to be content enough to handle Hajime's equally crazy, eccentric personality. Laughing

I bet the final battle will be between her and Berg Katze with both sprouting out crazy dialogue at each other!
Spleen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Spleen wrote:

The first character that came to mind for the third in that group is Berg Katze...

Katze is a shapeshifting alien - he doesn't seem to care about the gender of the humans he takes over, so I'm not sure he/she/it counts.

Come to think of it I'm not sure OD is really transgender either - he's only slightly higher up the gender-bending scale than David Beckham in his sarong period.
giseki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
this review inspired me to watch this show and i have to say i love it!!!! Very Happy

best show ever in the history of anime...maybe........
giseki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
this review inspired me to watch this show and i have to say i love it!!!! Very Happy

best show ever in the history of anime...maybe........
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3