• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sword Art Online Blu-Ray 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Key wrote:
Given that Christine Marie Cabanos has voiced roles like Madoka (yes, that Madoka), Azusa from [i]K-ON![i], and the eponymous Squid Girl, I'd hardly call her a rookie, either.

Sorry, I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE, but you're completely off track there. The major players in the dub cast are almost all well-seasoned veterans.

And as for how the series supposedly goes massively downhill as it goes forward: while I had some issues with the series in places (and yes, certain aspects of spoiler[how Asuna gets treated in the second arc] are some of them), and certainly wouldn't call the series great, I continue to disagree that it goes in the toilet. Sales and streaming numbers that I've mentioned in other threads about this topic certainly support that its fans remained faithful throughout, as it actually lost less viewership over the course of its run than most series of similar (or even shorter) lengths do. Regardless of whatever you think about how popularity doesn't equate to equality, series that are widely-acknowledged as turning bad at some point typically lose a substantial chunk of their viewership.

So you are all for using sales and fan popularity to defend yourself liking SAO, but somehow the same things are completely meaningless when it comes to shows you happen to dislike.

Amazing.

There is actual reason to believe that data however. In science only data that can be replicated/validated via other means is valid the same can be said here.

This is completely different from what a lot of people here do when they use the amazon preorders to say that X series is AMAZING, and everyone should agree with me.
that is not at all what key is saying at all.Key is making a verifiable claim that the second season did not see that much of a decrease in viewership and support (in compression to other series and normal decrease in those values).
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Key wrote:

And patchy_boy, while Zac, Bamboo, and a few others have been very vocal about the series going downhill in the long run, keep in mind that their position is far from a universally-held one and there are many (including me) who disagree.

The waifu stuff takes hold of this show early on and quietly strangles it to death.

The killer blow for me was in the last episode of the Aincrad arc, when spoiler[in response to Kirito asking why he chose to trap 10,000 people in a game for years and see a good portion of them die as a result, the game's creator, Kayaba said, "I forget".] After that, I refused to watch any more of it. Removed it from my Crunchyroll queue and never watched it again. I certainly don't recommend people waste their money buying the DVDs or Blu-Rays.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I liked the Aincrad arc so I'll be buying the BDs SOLELY for the Aincrad arc. It was a generally fun ride, not without its hiccups however.

I will be however, waiting for the DVDs to be on sale before I pick up the second half of the show. Not BD worthy nor are they full price DVD worthy.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I liked the Aincrad arc so I'll be buying the BDs SOLELY for the Aincrad arc. It was a generally fun ride, not without its hiccups however.

I will be waiting for the DVDs to be on sale before I pick up the second half of the show. Not BD worthy nor are they full price DVD worthy.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I pretty much reviled the fact that the show seemed to be seriously trying to sell virtual reality as an acceptable alternative to real life.

Redcrimson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
The killer blow for me was in the last episode of the Aincrad arc, when spoiler[in response to Kirito asking why he chose to trap 10,000 people in a game for years and see a good portion of them die as a result, the game's creator, Kayaba said, "I forget".] After that, I refused to watch any more of it.

Same. spoiler[I took it as an admission by the author that the entire plot was nothing more than a vehicle for his teenage power fantasy, and I realized that there was no chance for the story to redeem itself.]
Kohii

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Just throwing this out there, but is anybody having trouble getting their copies from TRSI? I preordered my copy of the 1st BD about two months before it was released, and it is still "On Order from Manufacturer". I know there's probably quite a significant demand for this show, but waiting almost a month the get another batch seems a bit much.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Kohii wrote:
Just throwing this out there, but is anybody having trouble getting their copies from TRSI? I preordered my copy of the 1st BD about two months before it was released, and it is still "On Order from Manufacturer". I know there's probably quite a significant demand for this show, but waiting almost a month the get another batch seems a bit much.

I don't know for sure if it's related to the fact that the glue holding the credits list on the back of the box was causing the artbox to be torn when removing it. Shawne Kleckner (head honcho at TRSI) said in a thread in the Retail forum that they should be receiving a new shipment early this week, and they'll be sent out then.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
So you are all for using sales and fan popularity to defend yourself liking SAO, but somehow the same things are completely meaningless when it comes to shows you happen to dislike.

Amazing.

Boy, you throw a fit any time someone tries to twist your words in the slightest, yet you love dishing it out, eh? Hypocrisy much?

You also constantly demand proof/evidence for points made, yet when some is provided you insist on twisting it to your own skewed interpretation. Pretty sure there's a word for that, too, but I'm not thinking of it at the moment.

If I really need to go back and explain that one again so you understand it correctly, I will, but why don't you try reading it again for what it actually says?

And jymmy, you make a lot of points that I'd like to address, but it's getting late. I'll just point out two statements to you concerning your comments about episode 3: "survivor's guilt" and the fact that spoiler[Kirito being so much higher in level than the others could have - and probably did - skew the strength of the monsters that they were facing in that trap, which definitely would have made it partly his fault].

Last edited by Key on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:08 am Reply with quote
Meh....

Accel World's a much better show anyways. Razz
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:36 am Reply with quote
[With apologies to HitorikiShadow here, this is a reconstruction of a post in which he was responding to one of my previous posts. Due to carelessness on my part, I accidentally overwrote the original. - Key]

No matter how you slice it, you're trying to use sales numbers/popularity to defend the show's narrative merits. Using 'consistency' rather than raw sales numbers doesn't change that. A small number of shows sell really, really consistently while most see a steady decline for each volume and there are generally only massive drops if there was something special about the first volume (like an event ticket, usually). I don't remember SAOs numbers off-hand (and I doubt you do either) but I'm pretty sure it had a pretty normal decline as the series progressed.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:55 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Sales and streaming numbers that I've mentioned in other threads about this topic certainly support that its fans remained faithful throughout, as it actually lost less viewership over the course of its run than most series of similar (or even shorter) lengths do.

You better have some sort of source you can cite for viewership numbers or something similar. I'd love to read that sort of data anyways. I really dislike it when people throw out statements like this with absolutely nothing to back it up with.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:13 am Reply with quote
I quoted specific numbers in a thread a month or two back based both on sales numbers and fansub downloads, the latter of which can be looked up fairly easily. The latter numbers in particular showed a distinctly lower drop-off than normal for a popular series. (IIRC, SAO's loss from the beginning of the series to the end was only about 15%, which is extraordinarily low for a two cour series - and no, I don't have the time to reconstruct those numbers right now.) These are facts.

Now, how you interpret those fact depends on how cynical an angle you want to take on the series. You could look at that as evidence suggestive that the series does not take a massive quality nosedive over the course of the series, or you could take the interpretation that it had attracting factors that were keeping people watching it despite the quality drop-off. Take the latter interpretation, and this fact is clear: no matter how much you bitch about the supposed lack of quality of the rest of the series, that hasn't deterred people from continuing to watch it in massive numbers.

And I do get some amusement out of that.

Last edited by Key on Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:52 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Meh....

Accel World's a much better show anyways. Razz

I have to agree as Accel World put limits on the "uber powers" and, despite giving the Eric Cartman-esque loser male protagonist a harem and other perks, it didn't completely rid the protagonist of his flaws: in Accel World the protagonist was a punk outside of Brain Burst but in SAO he was "The Messiah" 24/7. Accel World's dub might have even been a bit better than SAO's, despite that having a seasoned main cast of actors (including former Funimation star Cherami Leigh) while Accel World's dub lacks for renowned, seasoned anime dub veterans. I consider both to be several leagues below the work of Funi and Sentai, however.
Key wrote:
Take the latter interpretation, and this fact is clear: no matter how much you bitch about the supposedly lack of quality of the rest of the series, that hasn't deterred people from continuing to watch it in massive numbers.
I only point this out for 2 reasons: my eye was drawn to it as I read through the snarky posturing (and iron-fisted post-editing) going on; I had this thought that I had read on ANN that you were some sort of English-language educator (which might explain reason #1)
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:59 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I quoted specific numbers in a thread a month or two back based both on sales numbers and fansub downloads, the latter of which can be looked up fairly easily. The latter numbers in particular showed a distinctly lower drop-off than normal for a popular series. (IIRC, SAO's loss from the beginning of the series to the end was only about 15%, which is extraordinarily low for a two cour series - and no, I don't have the time to reconstruct those numbers right now.) These are facts.

Now, how you interpret those fact depends on how cynical an angle you want to take on the series. You could look at that as evidence suggestive that the series does not take a massive quality nosedive over the course of the series, or you could take the interpretation that it had attracting factors that were keeping people watching it despite the quality drop-off. Take the latter interpretation, and this fact is clear: no matter how much you bitch about the supposedly lack of quality of the rest of the series, that hasn't deterred people from continuing to watch it in massive numbers.

And I do get some amusement out of that.

Okay. You know what ELSE lots and lots and lots of people watched? The Transformers movies. And Twilight. (Edit: And as I think I said in my previous post before it got into some sort of accident, Gundam SEED Destiny is one of the best selling shows of all time and it's widely regarded as a steaming pile, even by people that liked Gundam SEED)

Anyway, you if you want to use sales consistency as a measure of story quality, here are some numbers of interest:
Horizon v1 24,605
Horizon II v7 19,876 = 20% drop

Sword Art Online v1 45,372
Sword Art Online v7 29,762 = 33% drop

Also, remember that there was a 6-month gap between Horizon and Horizon II and it had more volumes (14 to SAO's 8), so it had more time and volumes for attrition to take its toll.

But seriously, sales numbers/how many people watch is a terrible way to try to defend a show's story (or anything else about it). Yes, the fact that such a lousy show is a huge hit is irritating, but that's more a matter of the lack of sales of other shows than the number this got and there have been bigger sales injustices. On the other hand Girls und Paner and Love Live were sold great (and LWA2 was funded and saved anime), so on balance, things aren't too bad. Unless Prisma Illya doesn't get a second season, then world can just burn for all I care.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8