• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
5 Things I Learned From SyFy's "Heroes of Cosplay"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Lolita princess wrote:
I loved yaya's alice in wonderland cosplay it really showed she knows what she was talking about

It was a great costume, and the others really shined too.

I was surprised that people at the convention actually where mad and nasty that 'out of towners' where there. Never thought I would hear the negative version of the 'out of towners' phrase. Maybe they will use 'carpet baggers' too, next time.

Guess we all know what convention 'out of towners' are not welcomed to. Maybe they don't deserve 'out of towner' guests either.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:10 pm Reply with quote
No one at the convention said "out of towners." That line was dubbed into the show. What the heckler said, was that they loved everyone except the SyFy plants.

Because this is a small, amateur-level show, that has NEVER required skits, NEVER posted to their rules page that skits were required, and didn't tell the participants until they signed up (if they were lucky) that skits were suddenly required. Some participants are reporting that they were told as they went on stage that they had to have a skit. And then they had to wait hours (in what's usually a half-hour walk-on event) as the show had to keep getting various performances repeated to get better camera angles and what-not. People were tired and pissed, and it's perfectly understandable.

It is NOT fair for a show to suddenly throw professional-level competitors with professional-level props, lighting, sounds, etc, and have them compete along side amateur-level competitors who have never done anything more than "walk on stage, strike a pose, walk off."
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
No one at the convention said "out of towners." That line was dubbed into the show. What the heckler said, was that they loved everyone except the SyFy plants.

Because this is a small, amateur-level show, that has NEVER required skits, NEVER posted to their rules page that skits were required, and didn't tell the participants until they signed up (if they were lucky) that skits were suddenly required. Some participants are reporting that they were told as they went on stage that they had to have a skit. And then they had to wait hours (in what's usually a half-hour walk-on event) as the show had to keep getting various performances repeated to get better camera angles and what-not. People were tired and pissed, and it's perfectly understandable.

It is NOT fair for a show to suddenly throw professional-level competitors with professional-level props, lighting, sounds, etc, and have them compete along side amateur-level competitors who have never done anything more than "walk on stage, strike a pose, walk off."

You may have a point about alleged rule changes, but when you are in a competition, and want to win, then you need to bring your 'A' game, otherwise you are just cosplaying for fun. Nothing wrong with that either.

I know what I heard in the audience scene and the line scene. So if you are saying it was false, then you need to say that SyFy purposefully falsified that scene and falsely dubbed in the audio track, that wasn't in there originally.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
There are many blog reports, both from cast members, and other participants in the competition, that that line is not what was said, and multiple people are quoting what was said, and all of their quotes are along the same lines.

And there's a difference between a "rule change" and "Oh, by the way, when you go on stage in 5 minutes, you have to have a skit, and you're competing against professionals that have their own production company and have been working on their skits/props/backgrounds/lighting/effects/soundtracks for a while."
Lolita princess

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:08 am Reply with quote
I found a post from the girl from the show saying the same thing that Dessa said , they really wanted some drama and dubbed what they said . They also they didn't tell them til the last minute that they had to do skits . I think the reason they did this whole thing and is because when the cast from heroes of cosplay couldn't even beat people that were on their level well khole and jessi (i forgot his name ) were the only ones from the cast that could but the rest had to cheat to win .
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I went and read some of those blog posts and the associated comments too.

Bottom line. The convention is responsible for what happens at the convention. There are no excuses.

The HoC's production company probably were (fill in the blank), and probably pushed and prodded to get what they got. But in the end, the convention is ultimately responsible for monitoring and running things.

I can also see why the production company had to edit/dub the audience member remarks. The last thing SyFy is going to want to see in a SyFy reality show, is a remark about SyFy plants (not talking about alien/veggie hybrids either)

Fully understand why the non-cast convention attendee cos-players would be pissed about the practically last minute changes. Understand why they would be angry too, but in the end they played into the hands of the production company. But that is the convention's fault for not properly monitoring things and ensuring that things were ran fairly.

As to the show's future, that is in the realm of ratings, and future convention availability. Have to look at Blastar to see if they have a listing for HoC, and see what their thoughts are on a renewal.

Though, you can't have a show, if you burned all your convention bridges too. So if the show gets good ratings, they might have to pump out the money to get convention access in the future.

Looking at various comments, see an equal number of likes, even for some who fully acknowledge just how much reality a show like this has.

So look to the ratings.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:17 pm Reply with quote
From what I have seen in person, the professional cosplay scene is EXACTLY like in the show. Now, the vast majority of cosplayers are not in the professional scene, and only want to have fun dressing up. But that wouldn't make for a very exciting, drama filled show would it?

To be fair the huge divide between professionals and hobbyists exists in everything. Take football for instance. On one hand, you got the professional football players that always make headlines with (insert bad behavior here) and where winning is everything cause that is how you make yourself and your coach/owners money. On the other you got recreational players that honestly just like to play the game for the fun of it. The recreational players make up the vast majority of football players, but you never hear about them in the media...
Sunara Ishi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I feel like this show should be renamed "Yaya Han and Friends" and call it a day.

Use "Heroes of Cosplay" for a show that goes to conventions and actually showcases the best cosplayers/costumes at each con.

Some of my peeves:

- I've known people who have done better versions of some of their supposedly "best ever" costumes...

- How is Yaya a non-biased judge when she seems to be close friends with the competitors?

- Obviously like so many others, I don't care for the way they portray cosplay.

@Hardgear: I wouldn't call all of them professional. More like elitist. There are plenty of professional cosplayers that are in it for the fun. As well as "for fun" cosplayers who would be more "professional" if they had the resources. Cosplay is a expensive hobby and not everyone has the resources to splurge. Give those people those resources and that might make a more exciting, drama filled show.
Lolita princess

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:33 am Reply with quote
Sunara Ishi wrote:
I feel like this show should be renamed "Yaya Han and Friends" and call it a day.

Use "Heroes of Cosplay" for a show that goes to conventions and actually showcases the best cosplayers/costumes at each con.

Some of my peeves:

- I've known people who have done better versions of some of their supposedly "best ever" costumes...

- How is Yaya a non-biased judge when she seems to be close friends with the competitors?

- Obviously like so many others, I don't care for the way they portray cosplay.

@Hardgear: I wouldn't call all of them professional. More like elitist. There are plenty of professional cosplayers that are in it for the fun. As well as "for fun" cosplayers who would be more "professional" if they had the resources. Cosplay is a expensive hobby and not everyone has the resources to splurge. Give those people those resources and that might make a more exciting, drama filled show.

I agree
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:04 am Reply with quote
Guys, it's a scripted show they're trying to sell. Don't think too much of it as a documentary.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Guys, it's a scripted show they're trying to sell. Don't think too much of it as a documentary.

Yeah, its a fake reality show, much like most reality TV shows. I enjoyed it for what it really is, entertainment. And seeing a slice of Cosplay life, that most don't get to see from the outside.
BockLefty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:08 am Reply with quote
Didn't go through all the responses, but just in case people aren't aware, this is the exec producer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Cronin

As you can see from that long list of credits, the man has created some gems of television. Highlights include Flavor of Love and Surreal Life. So, is it any wonder Heroes is trash TV? Should not surprise a soul. At the very least, it has created an awareness of cosplay, and when people see it in person, it may not be so weird to them anymore (as it has so been stigmatized for years and years). But expecting a legit show about cosplay is silly. First of all, it wouldn't make fluff television, which is what sells. The cosplay world has nothing that makes for television entertainment. What average people want to watch cosplayers sitting around at three in the AM at a sewing machine putting together a piece or parading around a con getting photos taken? It's not compelling TV, no matter how much we may love the hobby and want the publicity for it. And no, compelling does not equal quality. The two are often mutually exclusive in the television world.

There was a reality show that came out some years back called Boot Camp, and it took random, ordinary people and put them in situations similar to those found in boot camp. The show was terrible. It was a terrible attempt to capitalize on time in boot camp as entertainment so we could watch a bunch of out of shape people huff around and attempt to grow a pair to become leaders in the same way boot camp in fact teaches you to be a leader. But it was compelling TV. There was drama. There was obviously scripted elements to create villains and heroes and bring to the surface only the juciest moments. Heroes is no different. It's just another in a long line of scripted, heavily edited reality shows that happened to pick a unique hobby and a unique angle on that hobby. Obviously, we, as fans of anime and anime culture, know the truth. And that's probably what gets people so pissed off.

But we can also appreciate what surrounds actual cosplay hobbying and culture. We have a deeper love for it. So don't get so upset or bent out of shape over a show that was never meant to display the hobby as we have come to know and love it anyway. It was never meant to be. Instead, try to look on the bright side. Cosplay is getting wide recognition and isn't just some weird hobby that pimple faced nerds do. The fact that a TV show was made at all means that there's growing notice of it's legitimacy.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:25 am Reply with quote
BockLefty wrote:

There was a reality show that came out some years back called Boot Camp, and it took random, ordinary people and put them in situations similar to those found in boot camp. The show was terrible. It was a terrible attempt to capitalize on time in boot camp as entertainment so we could watch a bunch of out of shape people huff around and attempt to grow a pair to become leaders in the same way boot camp in fact teaches you to be a leader. But it was compelling TV. There was drama. There was obviously scripted elements to create villains and heroes and bring to the surface only the juciest moments. Heroes is no different. It's just another in a long line of scripted, heavily edited reality shows that happened to pick a unique hobby and a unique angle on that hobby. Obviously, we, as fans of anime and anime culture, know the truth. And that's probably what gets people so pissed off.

The appeal of Boot Camp is that most people didn't know exactly what boot camp is like despite hearing how difficult it was. But I'm sure actual boot camp would be a little different than the show made it out to be. If anything of Heroes of Cosplay is interesting, it's seeing the various costumes. There weren't scripted moments, rather they took actual moments and edited them in a way to make them more dramatic. For instance, if two people are running a race and are minutes apart, it's possible to edit that footage to make it seem as if they're seconds apart. The events are real but the context can be altered.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9