• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Punishment perhaps, but Hatori realizes that Shigure spoiler[is at least doing something to break the curse, even if it's wrong or may hurt people. As opposed to Hatori, who quietly suffers with the curse, as he quietly suffers the loss of Kana and quietly suffers the pain he inflicts when erasing others memories (Yuki's friends and Momiji's mother, for example). ]

I almost think Hatori spoiler[didn't want to be the sensible, responsible one among the Madurabachi trio. I think he might have been a happier character if he could have cut loose once in a while. However, I think he was more or less forced into the role because of the behavior of the other two.]

The relationships discussion was my idea. If you'd like Suna and Lydia, I can work up a the topics. We can run it like usual, start it on a Friday and leave the topic open for a week of talk. But, if anyone wants to change that, speak up.

-Murph
suna_suna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:56 am Reply with quote
i looked but i couln't find the post with the idea on it sorry. but i'm glad we got to 100 pages
murph76

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote
It's here:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=500613#500613

But, I really wasn't looking for credit. I was offering to organize the topics and kick off the discussions, like Lydia did with the volume discussions, if we wanted to roll with it. Very Happy

Is this something we as a group are interested in discussing? If so, please let me know because I can probably have the first topic ready to go by Friday.

-Murph
Ningensei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Hello everyone! I can finally come back to the FB discussion now that I finally got to read Volume 18 the other day. I didn't really want to start posting until I caught up with the volumes so that I wouldn't be tempted with spoilers. Heh. Very Happy

But anyway, I know you guys have already discussed this volume but I have to say I loved it (like every other one). spoiler[The Yuki/Machi relationship progression was nice, and Hatsuharu kicked major butt, it was completely awesome! I'm looking forward to Volume 19 and more Kyo+Tohru.] Embarassed

Now, as for what to move onto in discussions, I really have no idea! But I'll pretty much go with anything!
murph76

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Welcome back, Ningensei!!

I enjoyed vol. 18 for exactly the same reasons. I was really cheering on Haru spoiler[when he confronted Akito about Rin. I kind of wish that punch would have connected with something other than the wall, though. Akito would have deserved it.]

-Murph
Ningensei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Thanks!

Oh man, I totally agree with you about spoiler[the punch. Even though Haru just hit the wall, the look on Akito's face was priceless.]
murph76

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
Oh man, I totally agree with you about spoiler[the punch. Even though Haru just hit the wall, the look on Akito's face was priceless.]

Me too. spoiler[It was a combination of scared and shocked. I think it might have been the first time in a long while someone directly challenged Akito. ]

On another topic, aren't spoiler[Yuki and Machi just made for each other? I love watching Yuki start to understand and want to help Machi. And I love watching Machi start to come out of her shell around Yuki. ]

Well, if no one has any objections or better ideas, we'll launch into relationship discussions Friday or Saturday. I have a few in mind to kick us off and will try to work up as complete a list as I can. We'll see what kind of interest it generates. Very Happy

-Murph
suna_suna

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Akito's spoiler[face after Haru near punch also came from her fear of losing another member of the zodiac, which is why she pleaded for him not to go]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:11 am Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:

Well, if no one has any objections or better ideas, we'll launch into relationship discussions Friday or Saturday. I have a few in mind to kick us off and will try to work up as complete a list as I can. We'll see what kind of interest it generates. Very Happy

-Murph

I don't have any problems with that! Sounds like fun!

The last time we had character discussions (Not just relationships) I wasn't very far along in the series and hadn't met certain characters like Kureno and Ren.
murph76

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Hello and welcome to the first week of Fruits Basket relationship discussions. My goal in this is to take two characters and discuss how they interact, grow or change from when we first meet them, whether they’re good for each other, and so on. The characters could be friends, enemies, parent-child, romantically involved or otherwise entangled.

The wild cards in this will be Tohru, Kyo, Yuki and to an extent Shigure because they interact with almost the entire cast. Sometimes it will be hard to discuss the characters of the week without involving those four in some way. That’s OK, but I will be bringing up those four and their relationships as topics from time to time. So, try and save the best material until then. Very Happy

Kicking us off are Kisa and Hiro.

Sure, Hiro’s a spoiler[grumpy, smart-mouthed little cuss, but much of that is because of guilt. He feels responsible for Akito putting Kisa in the hospital, because he made a young, dumb mistake of telling Akito his feelings for Kisa.]

On Kisa’s part, spoiler[because Hiro started avoiding her, she felt as if she lost a friend -- perhaps her only friend. She even said, “I thought you hated me,” to Hiro when they start to interact again. Hiro’s absence also is one of the causes for Kisa being teased, which sets off its own slew of problems for the girl.]

Well, I hope this is enough to start the discussion. I have more to say, but I don’t want to take away from what anyone else might want to add. I will post more thoughts once the discussion (hopefully) gets going. I also hope we can have fun with this. Very Happy

-Murph
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Poor Hiro. I have to say that I didn't like the kid when he first showed up in the anime and then in the manga. But, the anime (which I saw first) really didn't get into the depths of his despair and guilt. Because not only his telling Akito that spoiler[he loved Kisa get her hurt, he also had to deal with the fact that he saw Akito hurt Rin and didn't really know how to tell Haru. That's a lot of stuff you're asking a 12-year-old (age correct?) to deal with. Add to the mix the concern and love for his mother...well, no wonder the kid's a grouchy mess.]

And for the other half of our youngest romantic couple, Kisa spoiler[ has her own problems which spiral out of control because of Hiro's...even if she doesn't know it. Like Hiro, it's a lot for a child her age to have to deal with. Adding on the fact that she's been "chosen" to be the object of derision by her classmates makes it even harder for her.

And when you watch/read what her mother said to her, it was also obvious that her mother was having a hard time as well, probably due to the Zodiac curse, but it's still obvious that Kisa's mother loves her a great deal and is one of the better parents in FB.

Kisa gets the love and support she needed from Tohru to help rebuild her world but Hiro's love and coming back into her love is what solidifies it for her.]
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quote
in volume 18 spoiler[when Hiro tells Haru about Rin, i think that that scene best exemplifies who hiro is.] yes he is a smart-ass alot of the time, but part of that comes from his age. he says things quickly without thinking them through. spoiler[but, he had to tell Haru about rin because he was genuinly(sp) worried about her, and about haru as well. this led to his apology to Kisa, because he felt terrible that he had caused her injuries. and Hiro can see that the same thing happened to Rin]

In the same scene, Kisaspoiler[feels guilty because she was starting to feel happy again, and she was laughing as she put it, but Hiro was being torn apart by his own guilt. ]

Hiro and Kisa's relationship has an air of childlike innocence, and that makes it so different from the other relationships. in some cases, you can tell that both sides really do love each other, but with them, we know Hiro does, but we aren't quite sure about Kisa. she could still see him as a friend, but is only beginning to develop real feelings for him.

as an added note, despite Kisa being the older one, Hiro not only acts older than she does, but he seems to be mature far beyond his age. he sees the world for what it is, but he can still relapse into a child.
murph76

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Good points, suna.

I think that scene also shows how much Hiro spoiler[has grown. I doubt when we first met him that he would have the courage to risk rejection from the person he loves, and risk who-knows-what from Haru if he had completely lost control when he heard about Rin. Hiro said he wants to change, to become a person worthy of loving Kisa. I think he's getting there.]

I love how Hiro and Kisa spoiler[show up together recently. They're soo cute! I definitely think Kisa is developing feelings for Hiro, she's just not the type to say it. She's shy and quiet, even when she's talking. I think she's only outwardly shown her affection towards Tohru, mostly because Tohru was affectionate first, hugging Kisa whenever possible during those few days Kisa stayed over.]

LydiaDianne wrote:
spoiler[Kisa gets the love and support she needed from Tohru to help rebuild her world but Hiro's love and coming back into her love is what solidifies it for her.]

A good way to put it. spoiler[Tohru's a mother figure, giving the unconditional love and acceptance Kisa needs. Hiro's a peer, someone she hangs around with every day. That daily bond of friendship and love is just as important, and perhaps is becoming more important in recent volumes. ]

-Murph
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
A good way to put it. spoiler[Tohru's a mother figure, giving the unconditional love and acceptance Kisa needs. Hiro's a peer, someone she hangs around with every day. That daily bond of friendship and love is just as important, and perhaps is becoming more important in recent volumes. ]

-Murph

isn't that howspoiler[Yuki feels as well? except you replace Hiro with Machi. ]

another thing i just thought of, in volume 10,spoiler[ Momiji says that Hiro is alot like Kyo, on the sense that they're both "straight-edged". and Kisa and Tohru are both described as air heads in the same scene.]coincidence? i think not.
Ningensei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, Hiro and Kisa, they are so cute!

I know many people probably didn't like Hiro in the beginning because of his demeanor. spoiler[We later find out that him being a brat towards Tohru was because he was jealous of the attention she was gettting from Kisa, and I think he was threatened by that a little. Though later on in the series, when he still said hurtful things towards Tohru, perhaps unintentionally, I think it was Kyo or Haru(?I can't remember! Embarassed ) who gave him a talking to and told him to be a little more considerate. I think Hiro has grown up a lot and a huge part of that is him wanting to be able to be there and protect Kisa because he couldn't do that in the past.]

And suna suna, I think your comparison of spoiler[Hiro/Kisa and Yuki/Machi with regards to Tohru is a good point!] I never really realized or noticed that before.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 100 of 170