• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ICv2: Funimation CEO is Most Powerful

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tekwych

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:35 pm Reply with quote
And there are few, if any, other Japanese directors, Anime or otherwise, that have become a household name in the US the way Miyazaki has.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps more to the point, Miyazaki films sell far outside the usual 'anime' market; hell, I would not be surprised if most people who bought a Miyazaki DVD (in the last two years or so) have no idea what the term 'anime' actually means.

...and, as far as that goes, good money says, 'Best Buy anime buyer' is what ICv2 had to use in order to *not* have Best Buy forever hate them. Even just a name can be *very lucrative* to someone just trying to get into the market.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:05 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

I dunno, but he still lost One Piece to Viz and 4Kids, and chose to license Conan instead.

It's more likely FUNimation gave up the license to One Piece.
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:27 pm Reply with quote
So there's actually a "buyer" for Best Buy? Who exactly is this phantom individual and how much do they get paid to decide what anime gets put on the shelves? And is that a national post or a regional one? That must be a nice job if you love anime. I kinda thought when it said "anime buyer", that meant the customers that shop at best buy instead of being a business position. And how do they decide which anime gets picked?

I've noticed that each best buy is a world unto itself in terms of anime, and all of them are very inconsistent about putting their anime dvds on the racks. Sometimes they put them out 2 weeks early, sometimes 2 weeks late, but rarely the day of the release. I think you can tell the sorry best buys by how much empty space there is on the dvd shelves, which either means they don't have a good staff restocking or they are not ordering correctly.
jaybug39

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I am surprised John Lasseter is not on the list,as he was the one to bring Studio Ghibli ouevres to Disney. Ok, so he runs Pixar, and therby doesn't do anime per se, but he is the one to bring it to mainstream America. But then again, it could be a "what have you done for me lately" kind of thing, eh?
ginzugirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. I was flabbergasted by the selection of AS(S) Programming Director Kim Manning for the ICv2 list.

AS's pitiful programming strategy, utter disregard for a robust library of good anime properties, and clear preference selecting premium airtime for their dubious "original" productions, makes me wonder WHY in God's name Manning was even considered a candidate for any "anime" list at all!

A couple of months back, I happened on a Manning interview article AS posted to their site. Manning's lack of general anime knowledge, the anime industry and marketing, in general, was appalling. I get the impression Manning must have an Uncle at Turner Broadcasting because she sure isn't getting by on smarts! Scary stuff folks, scary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steve007101

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Eh, believable. Name recognition after all is what really drives this, Adult Swim just for the fact that they do have some key animes is what would at least warrant them on the list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:28 pm Reply with quote
ginzugirl wrote:
Agreed. I was flabbergasted by the selection of AS(S) Programming Director Kim Manning for the ICv2 list.

AS's pitiful programming strategy, utter disregard for a robust library of good anime properties, and clear preference selecting premium airtime for their dubious "original" productions, makes me wonder WHY in God's name Manning was even considered a candidate for any "anime" list at all!

A couple of months back, I happened on a Manning interview article AS posted to their site. Manning's lack of general anime knowledge, the anime industry and marketing, in general, was appalling. I get the impression Manning must have an Uncle at Turner Broadcasting because she sure isn't getting by on smarts! Scary stuff folks, scary.

Wow, this is completely ignorant, totally out of touch and hey, also pretty mean-spirited and insulting for no reason at all!

Adult Swim is on the list because it and it alone is the most visible television outlet for anime. If your show gets on Adult Swim - and it's AS that makes these programming choices, picking and choosing which shows appear on the block - you are virtually guaranteed a boost in DVD sales and exposure. It is the only reliable way to turn an anime show into a hit in America and Adult Swim calls the shots completely. Anime companies like ADV and Funimation and Bandai try very hard to get their shows on Cartoon Network.

Not only that, but because Manning doesn't appear to match whatever "superior" knowledge of anime, the industry and marketing you claim to have (since obviously you have nonchalantly appointed yourself the final arbiter of what 'good marketing sense' and 'knowledge of the industry' are), you suggest that she has no idea what she's doing and that she must only work there due to nepotism. I think maybe if you go back and read what you wrote, maybe you'll catch a whiff of the extreme arrogance and unnecessary nastiness your post exudes.

I'll say it again: Adult Swim is extremely powerful because they are the only widely recognized and highly visible broadcast outlet for anime and they are the only remotely reliable way to turn an anime series into a big hit that sells DVDs and merchandise. American anime companies scramble to get their shows on the block and it's a very competitive; why else do you think a major point in Viz's strategy to make shows like Naruto, Bleach and One Piece successful is to make sure they show up on Toonami or Adult Swim? Those shows would have no chance of being mainstream hits if they didn't show up on Cartoon Network.

It's nice to have opinions, and I hate to be the one to tell you this but you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and why you think it's necessary to be so arrogant, condescending and insulting towards someone you don't even know is totally beyond me.

I'd like to send someone down to your job who has no idea what they're talking about so they can sit there and spew a bunch of hateful ignorant crap about how you're an incompetent idiot who only got hired because you had relatives working there.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Wow, this is completely ignorant, totally out of touch and hey, also pretty mean-spirited and insulting for no reason at all!

Heh, you should check out the action in the Anime forum. This one's pretty tame by comparison.
jaybug39

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I kind of agree with both Ginzugirl, and Zac. I think AS could do better, but if it wasn't for that block of anime, in specific Big O, I doubt I would be the anime fan I am today.

By the way Zac is lying again. Scroll up, you can see his lips move. Laughing
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:14 am Reply with quote
jaybug39 wrote:

By the way Zac is lying again. Scroll up, you can see his lips move. Laughing

What?
schizosmurf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:04 am Reply with quote
well put zac.

[AS] is the only reason many people get into anime, including myself. Its a starting point for viewers to see shows they would otherwise never see, because its not as if people are going to go grab random anime dvd's from best buy for no reason and suddenly be interested in the world of anime.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:30 am Reply with quote
Both ginzugirl and Zac are correct. Zac's right about AS being the "it" place for anime and ginzugirl not knowing anything about programming. And ginzugirl is correct about AS's disrepectful treatment of their anime properties and obvious preference for their (mostly) horrible original programming. However, their treatment of anime while it's in their hands is irrelevant - companies want their programs there for exposure. Once you've learned of a series, you can go out and buy it and play it at your leisure in your own way.

AS is a powerful source of anime. Don't blame Kim Manning on the bad taste of its viewers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:54 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Both ginzugirl and Zac are correct. Zac's right about AS being the "it" place for anime and ginzugirl not knowing anything about programming. And ginzugirl is correct about AS's disrepectful treatment of their anime properties and obvious preference for their (mostly) horrible original programming. However, their treatment of anime while it's in their hands is irrelevant - companies want their programs there for exposure. Once you've learned of a series, you can go out and buy it and play it at your leisure in your own way.

AS is a powerful source of anime. Don't blame Kim Manning on the bad taste of its viewers.

Disrespectful how exactly? They're giving it exposure, they're showing it mostly uncut, they even resisted pressure to edit the finale of Fullmetal Alchemist, basically saying that the only way they would air it was uncut since it was such an important episode.

If AS hated anime, they wouldn't be showing it. Period. Just because they poke fun at the fans once in a while (something they wouldn't do if some fans weren't so overly sensitive to begin with) and just because they refuse to cancel Family Guy and air InuYasha at 10:30, doesn't mean they're being disrespectful. AS is regularly beating out the major networks (Jay Leno, David Letterman, etc) in the same timeslots. That's something that was considered impossible for basic cable only a few years ago. I'd say Kim knows what she's doing. She's not perfect (12 Oz. Mouse) but her job isn't to suck up to anime fans, it's to build a winning lineup, and she's done that.

GATSU wrote:
Wyvern: And if Gen put all his cards on the table and dropped Conan, he might have gotten One Piece.

And if an earthquake had destroyed 4Kids headquarters the day before the big contract signing, Gen might have gotten One Piece too!

I mean, as long as we're speculating on imaginary scenerios.

You don't know the details of that deal and neither do I. To assume that it has anything to do with Conan, or that it was Gen's fault (he doesn't do EVERYTHING at the company) or that it was even FUNimation's fault that the deal fell through, is just grasping at straws. If you're going to critisize the man, critisize him for things you can be resonably sure actually happened.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:41 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

Disrespectful how exactly?

* Showing a series that some/many/whatever believe is hampering more anime to get onto [adult swim] (Cowboy Bebop).

* Manning's vague hatred of Fanservice. If she hates fanservice, why does Eva tout it prominently? And what exactly constitutes "fanservice" in Manning's eyes?

* Scheduling anime in sometimes very piss-poor timeslots and conflicting with other shows.

* Advertising budget that hypes a stupid sprite comic more than anime.

* Possible mismanagement of Anime. How the hell can you show two series that never fit into [adult swim] (Milk-chan, Conan), and one that never fit anywhere (Gundam SEED)?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5