• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: The Wonderful 101

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:48 am Reply with quote
...did I just stumble into a Gamefaqs thread?! There's even a M$/Sony fanboy who spends more time in the WiiU forums than the forums for his own exclusive console of choice. There's even complete lack of awareness that you can own more than a single console at a time.

As for any comments regarding the WiiU's library. It has Monster Hunter, suck it and weep.

As for the review of this game itself. I'm...rather glad and surprised at the same time with how the reviewer did NOT complain about the characters being funny stereotypes of different nationalities. Maybe I'm just a bit jaded with video game reviews, but I was sure there'd be complaints over the game having a sense of humor with the different nationalities or Wonder Black being black or Wonder Green being called a frenchie or Wonder Pink being a token sexy girl.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...did I just stumble into a Gamefaqs thread?! There's even a M$/Sony fanboy who spends more time in the WiiU forums than the forums for his own exclusive console of choice. There's even complete lack of awareness that you can own more than a single console at a time.

What are you talking about? There are no Wii U froms on ann....

And I'm a Sony/MS fanboy because I think the Wii U sucks and yet I have a complete awareness of owning more then one console? Umm something dosen't jive here. I also believe I talked about playing Wii games, but I guess you'd have to know how to read to know that.
Quote:
As for any comments regarding the WiiU's library. It has Monster Hunter, suck it and weep.
You mean a game better served on a handheld. Oh yeah that's so great.

I guess the Wii was great to all because it had Tri. Oh wait, most people like playing MH games on portables. Thats where the series sells the most.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:10 am Reply with quote
I won't say anything on 101 since I haven't played it, and I probably won't. It just does not do anything to merit playing it over GTA V, Diablo III, or even Puppeteer. Im not saying its a bad game it just has no selling point.

Regarding Xenoblade, there is no sequel announcement. The same company have announced a new game, and it might have Xeno in the title, but it will be as much of a sequel as Blade was to Saga, and Saga to Gears, none at all, not even the same universe.

The only other real standout looking title announced for the Wii U is Fire Emblem x Shin Megami. This has potential, but as much as I don't want to agree with Rahxephon the Wii U is pitiful. The best game is arguably Pikmin 3. Pikmin! Let that sink in. It is a supremely great series, but at the same time its a niche series that no one plays. Pikmin 1 and 2 don't even have 3 million in sales between them, and that is WW. The only other standouts are Luigi, which even Nintendo admits is just a repainting of Super mario Bros, look at the case, its more sad then tongue and cheek. Zombie U which frankly doesn't hold a candle to something like Left 4 Dead. Windwaker, a re release of a game that holds up fairly well on it original console the gamecube. Technically you have ME 3, Darksiders 2, and AC, but those are all better on other systems. Its really got nothing going for it.

Oh and my favorite, the annoucement of Super Smash Bros Wii U, with no story, no cut scenes. Its literally just an arcade fighter. Which some companies have already made free to play like Tekken on the ps3 or Killer Instinct on the xbox one.

Anytime I go to a game store, or brick and mortar, the Wii U stuff is always at the back, to the side, and usually has no more than one wall of shelf space. Christ, the ps2 still has more shelf space in some gamestops. The developers don't want to develop for it either, that is why you major ones coming out and flat out saying we are skipping the Wii U.

Basically I would sum it up like this. The ps3/xbox are 2005 BMWs. The Wii U is a 2006 model. And the xbox one/ps4 are 2014 models. Oh and the Wii U doesn't even cost that much less than the ps4, and its got a smaller memory than the flash drive in my pocket, or the micro sd card in my phone. It has less memory than a card smaller than a dime that fits in my phone. I don't see the selling point on this system. This is not irrational hatered of Nintendo, or fan boyism of one of the other two, its simply a matter of the Wii U just not being very good for what its supposed to be.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:08 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I won't say anything on 101 since I haven't played it, and I probably won't. It just does not do anything to merit playing it over GTA V, Diablo III, or even Puppeteer. Im not saying its a bad game it just has no selling point.

I guess, if you hate fun and love the color brown.
daveriley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:20 am Reply with quote
Comparing W101 to Diablo 3, where the former is a an intricate action game that requires split-second timing and the latter is an RPG where you hold down the left mouse button until your stats go up seems a bit, ah, willfully blind, maybe? Not that I haven't had fun with Diablo 3, but if you told me "pick which one of these games you'd obliterate from history based solely on their mechanics," I wouldn't pick Wonderful 101.

If I was not already sold on the game, videos like this would've done it easily: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYQWf6iyvB4&feature=c4-overview&list=UUIygi3xVEx3hGJXZo59eJQw

Gon*Gon wrote:
As for the review of this game itself. I'm...rather glad and surprised at the same time with how the reviewer did NOT complain about the characters being funny stereotypes of different nationalities. Maybe I'm just a bit jaded with video game reviews, but I was sure there'd be complaints over the game having a sense of humor with the different nationalities or Wonder Black being black or Wonder Green being called a frenchie or Wonder Pink being a token sexy girl.
It toes a line. Wonder Black introducing himself by breakdancing was maybe a bit much.

Then again, Wonder Black is listed as being from New Dehli, so he may actually be Indian.

Generally I'm worried less about how many boobs/things that could be considered a stereotype are visible on screen and more about how much these characters have characterization and agency. My primary concern is how much a character is shown to have control over their situation, and how much they're treated as the punchline of a joke instead of the originator. To Wonderful 101's credit, the characters are painted in fairly broad strokes, but they're all composed of more than one gag. Wonder Black is far more "kid who never looks up from his gameboy" than "breakdancer."

Which is why I didn't really cotton to "Wonder Pink is the worst stereotype of all time" discussion around Wonderful 101. They knew they were being cheesy, they played it for the right sort of laughs, and she's not painted as this useless tart who just sits on the sidelines until it's her time for boob jokes. Nor did get why people were like "Wonder White is a racist Asian stereotype." But I played it almost entirely in Japanese, so maybe the English dub treats him like Mr Yunioshi, I don't know.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:30 am Reply with quote
good times; wish my bloody order would come in already.

Also, whenever I hear people whine about the Wii U's first year it reminds me of people who wrote off the 3DS in a few months. And then ended up eating their words that very holiday season. The more you try to bring Nintendo down, the more powerful they become.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:07 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

Regarding Xenoblade, there is no sequel announcement. The same company have announced a new game, and it might have Xeno in the title, but it will be as much of a sequel as Blade was to Saga, and Saga to Gears, none at all, not even the same universe.
It may not be story connected(not that it needs to be to be a sequel), but that's not why people are calling it a sequel. They are using sequel loosely, more like it's a spiritual successor. Because on like Saga and Gears this X game is clearly building on the game part of Xenoblade. It's going to have the same type of world, just more advanced then Xenoblade. It looks like it's going to have the same kind of battle system, only probably advanced from Xeboblade. It's clearly the next step from blade and clearly a game trying to be Xenoblade but bigger.

So why get bent out of shape about people calling it a sequel? Hell, I'm pretty sure Nintendo wants you to believe it is the next Xenoblade.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:18 pm Reply with quote
So yeah... finished the game. I did some snooping around and apparently the bottle caps are used to unlock more tools. I really like this game's tools.

I can only hope that Bayonetta 2 is half this good... having access to all your tools at the same time is amazing.

It's like Marvel 3 Dante: I don't have to go back to some menu to have all this stuff in one combo.
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I was turned off by what I saw of early screenshots and videos, but all the comparisons between this game's design and Viewtiful Joe/Devil May Cry are really encouraging. That's so cool you draw commands! As much as I love Okami, it was a little tedious in to input brush techniques with Dual Shock controls. The Wii U is that much more appealing to me now.
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Me and my friends joked that drawing certain weapons was too execution heavy for our scrub hands.

But yeah, I'm pleased that the game actually does require execution... and for what you can do, it's worth it.
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:38 pm Reply with quote
The gaming community and comments here are strangely familiar... >_> Console wars... Ah well...

daveriley wrote:
Comparing W101 to Diablo 3, where the former is a an intricate action game that requires split-second timing and the latter is an RPG where you hold down the left mouse button until your stats go up seems a bit, ah, willfully blind, maybe? Not that I haven't had fun with Diablo 3, but if you told me "pick which one of these games you'd obliterate from history based solely on their mechanics," I wouldn't pick Wonderful 101.

If I was not already sold on the game, videos like this would've done it easily: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYQWf6iyvB4&feature=c4-overview&list=UUIygi3xVEx3hGJXZo59eJQw

Gon*Gon wrote:
It toes a line. Wonder Black introducing himself by breakdancing was maybe a bit much.

Then again, Wonder Black is listed as being from New Dehli, so he may actually be Indian.

Generally I'm worried less about how many boobs/things that could be considered a stereotype are visible on screen and more about how much these characters have characterization and agency. My primary concern is how much a character is shown to have control over their situation, and how much they're treated as the punchline of a joke instead of the originator. To Wonderful 101's credit, the characters are painted in fairly broad strokes, but they're all composed of more than one gag. Wonder Black is far more "kid who never looks up from his gameboy" than "breakdancer."

Which is why I didn't really cotton to "Wonder Pink is the worst stereotype of all time" discussion around Wonderful 101. They knew they were being cheesy, they played it for the right sort of laughs, and she's not painted as this useless tart who just sits on the sidelines until it's her time for boob jokes. Nor did get why people were like "Wonder White is a racist Asian stereotype." But I played it almost entirely in Japanese, so maybe the English dub treats him like Mr Yunioshi, I don't know.

Very fair points of how you interpreted the portrayals of characters, just for more clarification on Wonder Black and Wonder White in particular.

Wonder Black's name is Krishna Ramanujan on top of him being from New Delhi, you can look up both names, the former is common enough you may have seen it and the latter is the surname of a great Indian mathematician.

If someone assumes that it is a racist statement, they are merely looking at the skin colour of the character being a bit darker and making an assumption off the word "Black"... >_> I think it would be been fine either way, though I imagine some Power Rangers viewers don't. Anime hyper

On Wonder White, Yuri Lowenthal (best known as voicing Sasuke Uchiha and Ben 10, has voiced some games in Japanese before) does a fine job probably similar enough to the Japanese voice over from what I've heard. It goes for the stereotypical long winded speak you expect and has some Japanese inserted in there on rare occasion like Bang Shishigami's English Dub having "NANI!?" to get across how foreign he is. Another thing is that while the Japanese voice over goes for "hitotsu, futatsu and mitsu" , the English one goes for "Ichi, Ni, San" which are much less foreign but bizarre enough to stick out. If you don't have the time, just watch the other Director's Trailer. I'll probably look up Mr Yunioshi later.

Since the game goes all over the place with Wonder Beer being from Germany (Oktoberfest and so on) and all the other heroes which is partly why I can't hold it against the game. It takes more than playing with a stereotype to be worthy of taking offense, playing with lots of them and making them individually silly plus enjoyable and not hostile to any groups is enough.

If we can have works which have all adults dead or not worth existing in the story, written on the basis of a continuing Cold War or a current country/faction in rough times going to war or Children of Men. It seems like this should be fine.
Kerberous

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:13 am Reply with quote
This looks fun.
sfried

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
And I'm a Sony/MS fanboy because I think the Wii U sucks and yet I have a complete awareness of owning more then one console? Umm something dosen't jive here.
Seriously, really? Get the hell out of here then, because pretty much the Wii U already has a rather sizable line up of 3rd parties/exclusive that I don't see coming out on any other platform, and TW101, being Nintendo and Platinum's collaborative effort, just happens to be P*'s best output yet. Same thing can be said with Monolithsoft and Xenoblade.

We don't need Sony/MS fanboys trashing this thread up just because someone is salty over an exclusive they wish they had on their console.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Get the hell out of here then, because pretty much the Wii U already has a rather sizable line up of 3rd parties/exclusive that I don't see coming out on any other platform,
What are these great 3rd party exclusives? Hopefully you're not desperate enough to list Scribblenots of all things. Zombie U and....The system hardly has any 3rd party exclusive system selling games.

Here's the list of 3rd party exclusives:

Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade
Game Party Champions
Lego City Undercover
Rabbids Land
Scram Kitty and His Buddy on Rails
Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem
Puyo Puyo Tetris
SiNG PARTY
Sonic Lost World
Tank! Tank! Tank!
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
ZombiU

I mean that's your list of great and sizable third party exclusives? You think that's good? Come on!

Yeah it's got the usual Nintendo games which are just as tired as those evil western games some of you probably attack. But even then it's not like Nintendo is pushing out some earth shattering software itself. And those multiplatform titles, well who knows if they will continue coming and it's doubtful the Wii U will get port downs of non cross gen games. Not like there hasn't been talk of 3rd parties flat out not supporting the system, that's kind of bad. Can't blame them though.
Quote:
and TW101, being Nintendo and Platinum's collaborative effort, just happens to be P*'s best output yet.
Because of Nintendo right? I doubt it, nothings better than Vanquish.

Quote:
Same thing can be said with Monolithsoft and Xenoblade.
Yeah that was a great game.

Quote:
We don't need Sony/MS fanboys trashing this thread up just because someone is salty over an exclusive they wish they had on their console.
I'm not salty. I don't want 101 enough to waste money on this system with a questionable future.
DG_Nick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:13 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
I don't want 101 enough to waste money on this system with a questionable future.

I thought it might also be interesting to take a look at the rest of the 2013 releases for the Wii U this holiday season.

Just Dance 2014 Oct. 8
Skylanders SWAP Force Oct 13
Wipeout: Create & Crash Oct 15
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes Oct 22
SpongeBob SquarePants: Plankton's Robotic Revenge Oct 22
Batman: Arkham Origins Oct 25
Wii Party U Oct 25
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Oct 29
Sonic Lost World Oct 29
Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures Oct 29
Call of Duty: Ghosts Nov 05
Ben 10: Omniverse 2 Nov 05
Angry Birds: Star Wars Nov 08
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games Nov 15
Watch_Dogs Nov 19
Super Mario 3D World Nov 22
Zumba Fitness: World Party Nov 22
Young Justice: Legacy Nov 2013
Wii Fit U Dec 13

They don't have release dates but Barbie Dreamhouse Party, Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I Don't Know!, Hot Wheels: World's Best Driver, Marvel Pinball, Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty, and a 2-year-old port of Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Director's Cut) are also allegedly coming out for the Wii U this year. Obviously I had to dig real deep to make that list. How many of those games are you looking forward to? How many of those games are you looking forward to on the Wii U?

Meanwhile, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze was delayed to 2014. Mario Kart 8, Bayo 2, X, and Super Smash Bros. won't be coming out until next year either. Who knows when Yarn Yoshi and Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem will be coming out?

Look, I bought a Wii U a week ago, and the only games I'm looking forward to buying this year are TW101, ZombieU, MH3U, and Nintendoland. If I were to rephrase that I would say that most of the games I'm looking forward to purchasing for my new system came out last year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3