• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Next manga to appear in the US shonen jump is......

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChichiriMuyo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I agree, GATSU, that they should have a romantic comedy in SJ, however I was thinking along the lines of Kimagure Orange Road.
Cgoten

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:42 pm Reply with quote
ChichiriMuyo wrote:
I agree, GATSU, that they should have a romantic comedy in SJ, however I was thinking along the lines of Kimagure Orange Road.

Personally, I'd like to see Ichigo 100% in US Jump. =) I doubt that'll happen though.

Anyway, I can't wait for the release of HikaGo in the US. I've seen the entire anime, and I'm still reading the manga... I'm on Volume 19 right now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:34 pm Reply with quote
ChichiriMuyo wrote:

I disagree. Shonen Jump should stay action. All Romantic comedy should go to Animerica Extra (I'm surprised they haven't changed the name yet) since that's the Shoujo collection. I like the romantic comedy stuff, but it doesn't belong in Shonen Jump.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:12 pm Reply with quote
The problem with that concept is twofold... First of all, KOR is not a shoujo series and would be out of place with what Animerica Extra is. Second, the publication in Japan for KOR wasn't directed at girls, but instead had a mass appeal that would be more appropriate for young guys. In otherwords, just because it's a romantic comedy doesn't mean that it's automatically shoujo.

In the end, without a 3rd magazine, where would you put it? Because with an opinion like that, you are eliminating it's existence in any current anthology. And for older series like that, in order for it to gain a strong enough market appeal, an anthology may be the only way we see it come over here.

small edit: Oh, and HNG isn't an action series, but more of a suspense/drama series... given that shounen jump is meant to appeal to boys, (hence the term shounen) and not necessarily to appeal to action, I find it perfectly appropriate to put anything that appeals to the male gender that fits within reason.

So Emerje, does that mean you think HNG is an inappropriate publication for SJ? And if so, where would you put that as well?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
sacchan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I just hate Ichigo 100%, maybe because I'm female. The indecisiveness of the main character Evil or Very Mad ...make me want to slap him.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
So Emerje, does that mean you think HNG is an inappropriate publication for SJ? And if so, where would you put that as well?

Sorry for the confusion, I was actually commenting on the concept of romantic comedies being in Shounen Jump and not KOR spedificly. I've never actualy seen KOR and know little to none about it.

As for HNG it really depends on how you look at the magazine. If you see SJ as an action anthology then I don't think HNG really has a place there. If you see it as just a boys anthology then yes, it fits. Due to it's present collection I do see it as an action anthology and really don't think HNG is the place for it. Personally I think they should have put it in Animerica as a replacement to Galaxy Express 999. They really can't say that the title wouldn't sell on it's own, there's enough starving fans out there to get the name out there. Just look at all the titles that Tokyopop has released that casual fans and readers have never heard of like Real Bout High School or Initial D.

Whatever their reasoning it's too late to change now. Perhaps some day they will bring us a third anthology, but until then I guess there's no point in complaining about it (which I'm really not doing, I'm looking forward to HNG just the same. I'm happy with getting the chance to read it, I just don't think it fits).

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, you did state "All Romantic comedy should go to Animerica Extra (I'm surprised they haven't changed the name yet) since that's the Shoujo collection."

I was a little aggrivated since you generalized an entire genre of anime...

If Shonen Jump stays pure action, it doesn't give it much room for growth... and given the title name, I think it staying strictly action is a bad idea. If they broaden the content, it appeals to a wider audience and puts them in a position to read a story they may have never looked at. I suspect that in the years to come, SJ will come to be seen as something more broad than just action, but instead will attempt to carry something for everybody.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, Romantic comedy is really a general term anyway. It's like, are we talking Marmalade Boy or Lum or Peach Girl or Love Hina? They're all Romantic comedies, but each very different. Things can get messy that way, but when you start mixing things up you bare the risk of losing what a publication is about. Where is the line drawn and who decides if a title has enough appeal to the male demographic when you have a title that really appeals to both genders. While I welcome new titles in Shonen jump, I doubt it would remain popular if it continued to go with just shonen over action, especially when you consider that the majoriy of fans seem to be young teens that would rather buy a magazine full of senseless violence over meaningfull stories. We'll have to wait and see how well HNG does in SJ, but for now SJ has all the makings of an action anthology.

Emerje
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Yes... but at the same time, since (as you said) they are all different is exactly the reason why I felt it was inappropriate to put them strictly in a shoujo mag... in many cases, they wouldn't belong there either.

Maybe it's just me (and I'm beating a dead horse here, I know) but I think they will do just fine if they go at things slowly. They know that action will always be a big draw for SJ to work. But by slowly introducing different series that are still aimed at the target audience, they can get a bit more out there and create the wider audience. I didn't mean to imply that they just put anything in there that appeals to boys, and they would be foolish to all but abandon the action, but adding a little variety to the mix will also prevent it from stagnating.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:36 am Reply with quote
Why would sticking with action cause Shonen Jump to be stagnant? There are action titles out there that can keep things jumping in the mag without being the same old-same old. Right now the mag has a great variety without being more of the same each page. More titles like these, especially if they were to go with several shorter titles, would give us a good turnover which would keep things fresh.

I've now heard that HNG will be released in graphic novel form in October. Why is it in Shonen Jump then? Only thing I can think of is that it's purely for advertising reasons. i don't think it's in SJ to add to the variety, but to get some of the kids reading interested in something other than Dragonball. I'll be very surprised if HNG spends it's lifetime in Shonen Jump. If the GN sales pick up then the series will probably be droped for another action title. Time will tell.

Emerje
So DraZtic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:32 pm Reply with quote
can someone tell me what Hikaru No Go is about

if they took out yugioh shonen jump would be the best...i dont really have a problem with dbz because i actually like the style that is used on it....nd i cant wait for the buu saga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:51 pm Reply with quote
So DraZtic wrote:
can someone tell me what Hikaru No Go is about

if they took out yugioh shonen jump would be the best...i dont really have a problem with dbz because i actually like the style that is used on it....nd i cant wait for the buu saga
Its a a manga about playing GO. I kinda like the Yugi oh manga its bathroom reading material Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2