• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ninja Nonsense DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twage

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Kilgamayan wrote:
I understood the gag, so I found it relatively amusing. It was certainly a lot better than a word that went out of style in the 80s.

Well, you can't convince someone a joke is funny. You either laughed or you didn't.
MezzoFan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Kilgamayan wrote:
I understood the gag, so I found it relatively amusing. It was certainly a lot better than a word that went out of style in the 80s.

lol, but that IS the joke. It's an old catchphrase from Ninja Turtles. Just like "Nin-Nin!" is an old catchphrase from Ninja Hattori-kun. The only difference is that it's a Japanese show versus and English one.

Can you honestly say you laughed your ass off when Nana Mizuki said "Nin-nin!" and instantly went "Ninja Hattori-kun!!!"? Rolling Eyes
Ranma824

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:27 pm Reply with quote
MezzoFan wrote:
Kilgamayan wrote:

lol, but that IS the joke. It's an old catchphrase from Ninja Turtles. Just like "Nin-Nin!" is an old catchphrase from Ninja Hattori-kun. The only difference is that it's a Japanese show versus and English one.

Can you honestly say you laughed your ass off when Nana Mizuki said "Nin-nin!" and instantly went "Ninja Hattori-kun!!!"? Rolling Eyes

*Raises hand!* When first heard it I had an incling where it came from; just a quick culture check affirmed my guess. But the line for me was more "Super-cute" then "funny as hell". And if you look at from a cute-angle, you can get just as much satisfaction as if you knew excatly where it came from.

But I can see how "Cowabunga" sort of works now. But when I watch anime, any US pop culture reference seems out of place; or in this case totally ignored. I'm not a big fan of liberal changes throughout the script (like the Negima dub). But with a show like this you kinda HAVE to change most jokes. I don't think there'll be many fans embracing both audio tracks for this show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2