• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV to Release Utawarerumono

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Webki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Even though "Shadow Warrior Chronicles" isn't very descriptive of the series and isn't even close to a proper translation of the real title, why not make due with what we have and look at it in the best sense possible?

I think the biggest problem with names such as "Shadow Warrior Chronicles" is that your inner kid things that is the coolest name ever. What kid wouldn't want to buy that show? It completely sounds like a badass title.

If you break it down, Shadow is just a cool word. Have it modify the noun "warrior" and it becomes even more cool. Then add the word Chronicles and imply an epic adventure.

Now we take our knowledge of the show already, which, those who have watched the fansubs, know it is an incredible awesome show. So now we have something good with a cool name, even if the name doesn't say anything about the show.

Previously, we used to see titles like this and avoid them like the plague. We knew if we saw a game or a movie with a title like "The Black Dragon Knight of Legend," it was going to be terrible, because the basic law is "awesome name = horrible content." However, with Utawarerumono we know we are getting quality product, along with a cool sounding name.

Not only that but the box art will most likely be awesome.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Lyrai wrote:

My point exactly. Which makes me think Terek is just a troll looking to stir up shit.

I'm far better at rebuttles than declarations, so I do have a habit of coming across as troll-ish. But fear not, dear heart; I always have an elephant of an argument in my pocket ready whenever I brashly declare seemingly unsupported resolutions.

Lyrai wrote:

The ADV series sitting on my shelf are Jing, FF Unlimited, Azumanga Daioh, Excel Saga, Evangelion, Ghost Stories, and Cromartie High School. Shadow Warrior Chronicles and Haruhi (If ADV did indeed license it) will join them soon

God, I hope not. Geneon, please pull through! Sad

Haruhi DOES seem like ADV fodder, though.

Shiroi Hane wrote:

ADV have Monica Rial, Hilary Haag, Luci Christian... not to mention that a number of 'their' actors also work for FUNimation.

Yup, I figured someone was going to bring up that argument! In the shower, to boot!

Now, to the point. "Voice direction" is the key difference between FUNimation and ADV; depending on the coaching for a role, a fantastic actor can have an absolutely horrible impression on the viewer. Case in point, I value Derek Stephen Prince as a fine voice actor, but his delivery and tempo of speech in a certain Love Hina Again provoked me to howl with anguish/horror.

ADV is simply more apathetic to how their VA's perform; of the fistfuls of ADV and FUNimation products I've [eaten], I doubt I would be able to identify shared actors performing for each respective company. The deviation is that severe!

But one need not take my word from it. Watch 4Kids' Sonic X, then watch One Piece (or visa versa). Jason Anthony Griffith provides the voice of Sonic, Shadow, and Usopp.

Such is quite the shocking experience.

This is not to say the VA's take no pride in their roles, though (far from it), but getting "worked up" for a role is much more stressfull (or harder) than giving a milder performance. Unfortunately, such acting does not transition well on screen.
LTN

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Utawarerumono takes many elements from Ainu origins, including some costume designs and words used in the game. Now, the Ainu were known to have a strong emphasis in oral sagas, not unlike the Norse/Germanic tribes, so a title that would remind me of such would be perfectly exceptable to me, even if they stretched it a little. So long as it stayed relevant. I can accept the word "Chronicle", which means An extended account in prose or verse of historical events, sometimes including legendary material, presented in chronological order and without authorial interpretation or comment. Perfectly fitting, as the title is probably referencing the subject of a hero-saga (as he/she is the one being sung).

However, Shadow Warrior doesn't really fit Hakuoro in the slightest. It might work for Oboro, who on occasion will dress as a ninja, or the shadow clones that appeared as enemies in one stage of the game, but that's about it (though you could argue the masked villagers or the armors near the end-game as well). And while Oboro is indeed important to the story, it's not really about him being shadowy, or even about him at all.

And there is nothing "shadowy" about the mask and what it represents (and yes, I know why it's there). It just doesn't fit. Warrior-wise, Hakuoro really has the appearance of a tactician (hence his robes and use of the fan), though he admittedly makes an excellent warrior. A warrior tactician is still probably just referred to as a warrior, so I can almost accept the term, were it not coupled with the Shadow. Hakuoro does nothing obscured and acts in no manner fitting any common connotation associated with one who works in shadows. He is also not being puppet-controlled, which is the only other way I can think of the term coming into play (ie, the shadowy puppetmaster etc).

And people are right, the ADV title does indeed sound generic. Generic and Naruto-flavored. When I see Shadow Warrior Chronicles, I picture at best Shadow Skill and at worst a bunch of ninjas jumping around in the dark (possibly trying to cast "magic missle" at one another? ;-] ). Now ADV has just announced the license, so there's still plenty of time to change the title. I can only hope they do, because leaving it as it stands does not inspire confidence in the level of care they will be giving to the series and its translation.

And sadly, the only way we can contact them to make our opinions heard is to complain on forums, and everyone knows that never amounts to anything. A pity, as this is probably the most interesting series airing currently, and I loved the game quite a bit when I played it years ago.
Webki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Can I inquire as to what the huge debate over which company has better English dubbing? I'm pretty sure almost all the anime released in the U.S. has a nice option that lets you, the irate-english-dub-hating viewer, to view the title in its original Japanese format... with subtitles! And I have to say, the Japanese seiyuu know how to do it right.
LTN

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:28 pm Reply with quote
While I agree with you completely about the Japanese seiyuu, I fully understand that there are people who prefer dubbing into their own language. And dubbing will always happen. Unfortunately most dubbing suffers from abyssmally poor inflection, causing most dialogue to sound broken, forced, and quite unnatural. It's no surprise that people interested in the dubs would be concerned over ADV's generally poor track record when it comes to English adaptations. They've even been known to "spice up" a few dubs compared to their Japanese counterparts (and if you need me to prove that, I shall simply refer you to Panyo Panyo Digi Charat). While not always a bad thing to do, it's still a worrisome thing to think about when new series come out.
ileranerak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:46 pm Reply with quote
well..why is it so dificult for you to say Utawarerumono????
I was able to say ´´Emperor of Kunnekamun Amururineuruka Kūya´´ with a little effort....but Utawarerumono is not that difficult
and that new title makes me want to cut some heads off T.T
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:04 pm Reply with quote
This may be significant, or maybe not. I just received my Oct. issue of Newtype USA, and there's an article regarding the upcoming release of Utawarerumono. Nowhere in the entire article does it mention "Shadow Warrior Chronicles", so it might mean that they won't use that title.

I guess time will tell, though.
mjgeo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:07 am Reply with quote
Whearn9999 wrote:
This may be significant, or maybe not. I just received my Oct. issue of Newtype USA, and there's an article regarding the upcoming release of Utawarerumono. Nowhere in the entire article does it mention "Shadow Warrior Chronicles", so it might mean that they won't use that title.

I guess time will tell, though.

It's a working title, so they may or may not use it when they release the DVDs.

Personally, I'm more concerned with them adding the bonus scenes on the DVDs than what the show is called.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Why did you resurrect a month dead thread to rehash an argument that was already over and done with?

ADV poduce Newtype USA so the fact that they're still using the original title migh be telling, but then again it might just be mis-commmunication between departments or that the article was translated from Newtype Japan some time ago and not updated.

PS if anyone is considering buying a micro keysonic keyboard, don't - they're more trouble than they'e worth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6