• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex Rents Garden of Sinners on PlayStation Network

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:
Anime Remix wrote:
Well, that's nice and all, but wouldn't it be better to let people actually own this? Confused But what also sucks about Playstation Network Video section is when you purchase a video, and it gets deleted on accident, you can't go back and re-download it... Rolling Eyes

You can back up your PS3 files to an external HDD/flash drive etc.

This is awesome, at least I can finally watch them legally.
Ah, didn't know this. Thanks for telling me! (Kinda getting use to my PS3 since I got it for christmas).
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Of course people won't be satisfied until they offer the whole series dubbed for $30 RRP on disc. Like it's some million-seller Family Guy.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:38 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Of course people won't be satisfied until they offer the whole series dubbed for $30 RRP on disc. Like it's some million-seller Family Guy.

http://funimation.com/save/

Well, who'udda thunked it. I think it's safe to say that Funimation just broke the laws of physics, along with clusterfucking all of space and time.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Re-releasing fully dubbed titles from a defunct distributor for cheap is not a treatment Garden of Sinners qualifies for.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:04 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Re-releasing fully dubbed titles from a defunct distributor for cheap is not a treatment Garden of Sinners qualifies for.

No. It'd even be a miracle for them to release it below 60-70. That said, all I did was prove a point, even if it doesn't directly apply to KnK.

No one said anything about a $30 release. Even as sarcasm, it's hitting it low while trying to elevate your own status. Ok. So you can piss away $400 dollars on an 8-disc anime set, while all over the world, children are starving, people are killing each other, and animals are closing in on extinction.

I think I speak for just about everyone here who thinks logically. All I want is a reasonable release. Doesn't even have to include a dub. As long as the price tag isn't on the same level as a medical expense, I'm all-around good with it.
AntztheGreat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I had to reset my password via the site before I could log back in on my PSP.

BeanBandit wrote:
I just hope Aniplex decides to make this available to Canadian PSN users at some point as I would totally check these out.

Press Release wrote:
Aniplex of America Inc. announced today that The Garden of Sinners—a critically-lauded seven-chapter animated epic and Japan theatrical box office smash—is now available for rent on the PlayStation®Network's video-on-demand service via the PlayStation®Store for download onto PlayStation®3 (PS3™) and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) systems in both the United States and Canada.

They're not there right now as far as I can tell. Someone should ask Aniplex if they realize that Canada and the US don't share their video section.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:35 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

I think I speak for just about everyone here who thinks logically. All I want is a reasonable release.

That's still subjective. What's reasonable to you may not be reasonable to someone else, and vice versa.
I'm just being logical. Smile
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
You proved a point that in some situations anime can be priced for under $30. That situation does not apply to Garden of Sinners and looks like you are just talking out of your ass again.

Regardless of what I piss my money away on, all of those global concerns will continue to be common place until the Sun burns out, implodes, expands or whatever the current future science fear is.

This article is about $3 dollar PSN rentals, looks pretty damn reasonable. All of your cocktard demands have nothing to do with the topic.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
]
That's still subjective. What's reasonable to you may not be reasonable to someone else, and vice versa.
I'm just being logical. Smile

Not four hundred dollars for a set of seven movies = reasonable.

You're right. Price is subjective. For example, I'd personally settle for no more than a $100, but I'm fully aware that for others, that too is too much. I suppose I should fix up my statement: I speak for everyone when I say lower the price. Or, more specifically, release a cheaper set.

And I'll just leave it vague like that for the sake of preventing another argument, and haggling over price. Anime hyper

ArsenicSteel wrote:
You proved a point that in some situations anime can be priced for under $30. That situation does not apply to Garden of Sinners and looks like you are just talking out of your ass again.

No, that'd be egoist. I beg you to quote somebody anywhere where they demanded a budget $30 set of this series. Not to mention, his sentence up there stated that anime for $30 is practically some sort of fantasy. You make it seem like it's something of inferior quality.

ArsenicSteel wrote:

This article is about $3 dollar PSN rentals, looks pretty damn reasonable.

Reasonable? You mean standard definition video in 2.0 audio? Like hell.

ArsenicSteel wrote:
All of your cocktard demands have nothing to do with the topic.

My "cocktard" demand is an economy-friendly tangible release, and at least some effort put into the digital distribution aspect. And you call that a cocktard demand?

Man. What planet are you from? One where volcanoes piss rainbows? Cause you're about the only person having a problem with a cheaper release.

Last edited by John Casey on Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

ArsenicSteel wrote:

This article is about $3 dollar PSN rentals, looks pretty damn reasonable.

Reasonable? You mean standard definition video in 2.0 audio? Like hell.

Not to mention five of the seven movies are under an hour. It's ridiculous.

They've already made a f**kton of money off of it by draining the bank accounts of otaku (pejorative), just give us a reasonably expensive boxset (I'd settle in the $100 range for DVDs)
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:27 pm Reply with quote
[quote="John Casey"]
enurtsol wrote:
]
Or, more specifically, release a cheaper set.

But what if the cheaper set makes less profit? Which is definitely the case considering this was a Japanese-centric release. The North American after-thought likely made enough profit to barely cover the translation, booklet printing and shipping. This release is an apple, stop comparing it to an orange.

A cheaper release will come out whenever the price of the license drops. I imagine every company currently operating has looked at the numbers and found it not worth the effort. And considering type-moon's profitability in Japan, I doubt that number will go down soon.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:35 pm Reply with quote
So is it going to be subbed? I hope it is.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's nice to know it's available at a reasonable price for those who have yet to see the movies. I for one don't see myself putting my credit card info into the PSN anytime soon after what happened recently with them losing my data along with millions of other peoples.

On the reasonable US release price, I agree with John Casey. I'm not one to shy away from a large sum purchase, but $400 was a bit too much even for me. I struggled with the decision for quite a bit and almost pulled the trigger one or two times, so my decision wasn't for a lack of funds. At the end of the day, I just couldn't justify that price tag even for a fantastic series of movies that is Garden of Sinners. Hopefully, someone will manage to obtain the rights to the movies and give us an official US release at some point.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:48 pm Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:
The North American after-thought likely made enough profit to barely cover the translation, booklet printing and shipping.

I find it hard to believe $400 "barely covered" production cost and shipping. The US release sold out. They easily made a large sum of cash off of this.

As you said, it's an after-thought. They made more than enough of a profit off of the Japanese otaku (pejorative) and thought "Oh, hey, I bet we can make a bunch of money off of the Americans too!"
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:37 am Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:

A cheaper release will come out whenever the price of the license drops. I imagine every company currently operating has looked at the numbers and found it not worth the effort. And considering type-moon's profitability in Japan, I doubt that number will go down soon.

That's irrelevant considering it's not an outsourced license. That would only matter if someone else is licensing it. Aniplex USA is nothing more than a subsidiary. An "overseas office" if you will. The only thing they have to license for the series stateside is "Singing in the Rain."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4